Law On Switching Job "unprofessionally"

Topic locked
Law on switching job "unprofessionally" Sep 23, 2007
As there are so many cases like this (and I'm tired of unprofessional people asking about this issue - yea yea people are free to choose, it's a free country, bla bla bla), here it goes.

http://www.gulfnews.com/nation/Ask_The_Law/10154995.html
A reader from Sharjah asks: I am on a visit visa for the purpose of looking for employment. I found a job and signed an offer with a company and all the documents have been submitted. However, a day after submitting the documents, I got a call from another company with a new offer and a better salary. My visa is now being processed. In this case, what shall I do?

I would like to state that whereas the questioner has signed the employment offer with the company, then he is committed to work for the company.

This is because the company, based on such an agreement of employment, has started to process his labour permit and visa, and the questioner - in case he chooses to give up such employment, would be subject to a ban.

This is due to the fact that such an act by the questioner will be considered a violation of the UAE Labour Law, especially since the company will have incurred certain expenses. The questioner is advised to seek an amicable solution with the company offering to compensate them for such expenses and those of the termination of the signed labour agreement.

xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

Re: Law on switching job "unprofessionally" Sep 23, 2007
xty wrote:As there are so many cases like this (and I'm tired of unprofessional people asking about this issue - yea yea people are free to choose, it's a free country, bla bla bla), here it goes.

http://www.gulfnews.com/nation/Ask_The_Law/10154995.html
A reader from Sharjah asks: I am on a visit visa for the purpose of looking for employment. I found a job and signed an offer with a company and all the documents have been submitted. However, a day after submitting the documents, I got a call from another company with a new offer and a better salary. My visa is now being processed. In this case, what shall I do?

I would like to state that whereas the questioner has signed the employment offer with the company, then he is committed to work for the company.

This is because the company, based on such an agreement of employment, has started to process his labour permit and visa, and the questioner - in case he chooses to give up such employment, would be subject to a ban.

This is due to the fact that such an act by the questioner will be considered a violation of the UAE Labour Law, especially since the company will have incurred certain expenses. The questioner is advised to seek an amicable solution with the company offering to compensate them for such expenses and those of the termination of the signed labour agreement.

At the risk of getting dumped on, in many occasions you really do have to consider the Employer also, they have to spend a lot of money to get a person processed through all of the legalities here.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: Law on switching job "unprofessionally" Sep 23, 2007
sage & onion wrote:At the risk of getting dumped on, in many occasions you really do have to consider the Employer also, they have to spend a lot of money to get a person processed through all of the legalities here.

I couldn't agree more. That's what I'm talking about.
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
If the visa costs weren't so stupidly expensive, maybe the companies would have less of a hard time letting people go.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum