Kids Club.

Topic locked
Kids club. Sep 22, 2007
Hi everybody !

We are very new in Dubai. One thing I have noticed that kids generally stay at home here. We have a 3 year old boy and he has got the same problem. Are there kids club in Deira/Bur Dubai/Karama where they can go, play meet other kids ?

ARCBANI
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Sep 22, 2007
We have just arrived in Dubai too!

I have a three year old daughter/princess/monster!

I too am having issues with getting her 'little friends', knowing where to go etc.

Please feel free to PM me..... maybe we could meet up??

xx
English Girlie
Dubai Expat Helper

Sep 22, 2007
3 year old, nursery / pre school must be the best place.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Sep 22, 2007
I have 3 yo daughter also and I have the same concern. We live in Karama (near Burjuman). Last one year she went to nursery school (Happy Home, behind Iranian school). Now she goes to KG1 in Apple Intl school. It's been fine, at least she can socialize. But still I feel like it's not enough because normally she stays at home after school, though sometimes my wife brings her to mall (kids playground) and off course study at home. But definitely she needs more friends.

Where are after-school/weekend kids activity centers other than in the malls?

One thing that is not good for families about Dubai. Lack of social life. There's no way that kids can play in the neighborhood with their friends. It's sad to see kids riding bicycle in the hall way in front of their apartments.
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

Sep 22, 2007
xty wrote:I have 3 yo daughter also and I have the same concern. We live in Karama (near Burjuman). Last one year she went to nursery school (Happy Home, behind Iranian school). Now she goes to KG1 in Apple Intl school. It's been fine, at least she can socialize. But still I feel like it's not enough because normally she stays at home after school, though sometimes my wife brings her to mall (kids playground) and off course study at home. But definitely she needs more friends.

Where are after-school/weekend kids activity centers other than in the malls?

One thing that is not good for families about Dubai. Lack of social life. There's no way that kids can play in the neighborhood with their friends. It's sad to see kids riding bicycle in the hall way in front of their apartments.

What about getting out to the park, I thought their is a rather large one close to Karama?
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Sep 22, 2007
sage & onion wrote:What about getting out to the park, I thought their is a rather large one close to Karama?

That's actually the main reason. Kids don't play outside first because there's not safe space in the neighborhood (roads everywhere and parks are not in walking distance, except the one who live next to it), second because it's too hot outside for 4-5 months in a year (for this, I guess there's nothing we can do).

That park (in front of Lulu) is on the other side of Karama. It's not that big and green IMO. I live just behind Regent Palace Hotel (opposite Burjuman), and there's none here except couple of empty plots.

I wonder how is living in compound/community like Greens. Are there many kids around playing outside?
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

Sep 23, 2007
xty wrote:
sage & onion wrote:What about getting out to the park, I thought their is a rather large one close to Karama?

That's actually the main reason. Kids don't play outside first because there's not safe space in the neighborhood (roads everywhere and parks are not in walking distance, except the one who live next to it), second because it's too hot outside for 4-5 months in a year (for this, I guess there's nothing we can do).

That park (in front of Lulu) is on the other side of Karama. It's not that big and green IMO. I live just behind Regent Palace Hotel (opposite Burjuman), and there's none here except couple of empty plots.

I wonder how is living in compound/community like Greens. Are there many kids around playing outside?

Don't leave kids that small around alone anywhere outside nowadays. Labourers sleep around under trees, stairs, benches, etc. Still, nothing bad has ever happened in Karama that I've heard of in 20 years.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Sep 23, 2007
gtmash wrote:
xty wrote:

Don't leave kids that small around alone anywhere outside nowadays. Labourers sleep around under trees, stairs, benches, etc. Still, nothing bad has ever happened in Karama that I've heard of in 20 years.

Actually the suggestion was not to leave them alone, just to go to the park. When I was a kid (many moons ago) we would walk 3-4 miles to the park.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Sep 23, 2007
sage & onion wrote:Actually the suggestion was not to leave them alone, just to go to the park. When I was a kid (many moons ago) we would walk 3-4 miles to the park.

Yes, I often bring my kid to the beach & park (if it's not hot) but then they are not in walking distance and it doesn't happen everyday. Therefore, less likely for the kid to have regular friends (the main purpose).
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum