To Fall Or Not To Fall? That's The Question

Topic locked
To fall or not to fall? That's the question Feb 27, 2007
Boys & gals, i'm having a little problem and i feel pretty bad. I'm negotiating a job and they're asking me for my diploma. Unfortunately the institution i was a student (17-18 years ago!!), after some financial issues it was closed down last year. I found someone and he told me that they can give me a paper signed that i was a student over there for 2 years but no grades no nothing

Now, the point is can i get a job or not????
My studies was in Information Technology, the position has nothing to do with it. Do they (employer) needed?

Since i can't get my diploma i think you're gonna watch a body falling from Burj Al Arab within the next few days......

Greekman
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Re: To fall or not to fall? That's the question Feb 28, 2007
Greekman wrote:Boys & gals, i'm having a little problem and i feel pretty bad. I'm negotiating a job and they're asking me for my diploma. Unfortunately the institution i was a student (17-18 years ago!!), after some financial issues it was closed down last year. I found someone and he told me that they can give me a paper signed that i was a student over there for 2 years but no grades no nothing

My studies was in Information Technology, the position has nothing to do with it. Do they (employer) needed?

Since i can't get my diploma i think you're gonna watch a body falling from Burj Al Arab within the next few days......

No need to jump. But if you do leave all your money to me.

But seriously, if indeed you have a Diploma but can't get a copy then explain that to the employer. Give them any evidence you have that the school closed (newspaper article, letter, court filing etc.). Whether or not the employer needs it? I don't think so - think about it: maids or drivers don't need one and they are employees as much as those of us furtunate enough in life to have a "diploma" - fake or otherwise :wink:

Here is what I would do:

call or see the prospective employer and say: "Hi X, I just found out that my school closed down last year [I can provide you evidence of that].
But in any case, my job, qualifications and experience are not related to the job so: it is really necessary for me to get a diploma [which because of the bankruptcy I cann't get]?"

Here is what will happen: A) they will believe you and realize that it makes no difference and give the job B) won't believe you and think you are lying (especially if you have no "proof" that the school is out of business) or C) you are really lying in case you should not get the job.

Good luck.
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Re: To fall or not to fall? That's the question Feb 28, 2007
Concord wrote:
Greekman wrote:Boys & gals, i'm having a little problem and i feel pretty bad. I'm negotiating a job and they're asking me for my diploma. Unfortunately the institution i was a student (17-18 years ago!!), after some financial issues it was closed down last year. I found someone and he told me that they can give me a paper signed that i was a student over there for 2 years but no grades no nothing

No need to jump. But if you do leave all your money to me.

But seriously, if indeed you have a Diploma but can't get a copy then explain that to the employer. Give them any evidence you have that the school closed (newspaper article, letter, court filing etc.). Whether or not the employer needs it? I don't think so - think about it: maids or drivers don't need one and they are employees as much as those of us furtunate enough in life to have a "diploma" - fake or otherwise :wink:

Here is what I would do:

call or see the prospective employer and say: "Hi X, I just found out that my school closed down last year [I can provide you evidence of that].
But in any case, my job, qualifications and experience are not related to the job so: it is really necessary for me to get a diploma [which because of the bankruptcy I cann't get]?"

Here is what will happen: A) they will believe you and realize that it makes no difference and give the job B) won't believe you and think you are lying (especially if you have no "proof" that the school is out of business) or C) you are really lying in case you should not get the job.

Good luck.

Thanks a lot, i just felt much better :) I'll buy you a few beers on the next DF meeting :lol:

That means that officialy the Government does not need any diploma/certificate in order to issue the employment visa. Anyway i never said that i have a PhD or MBA, i just have a f&@#ng diploma. Big deal....

Thanks a lot and i'll do as you said (A)
Greekman
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Feb 28, 2007
It depends on what your Company wants to employ you as and if they want the same thing mentioned in your visa / work permit. If they insist to mention that you are an IT Engineer, then you need a diploma (for work permit purposes) If for instance they would accept to employ you as IT Engineer but apply for work permit as an Archives Clerk, then you would not need a Diploma.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Feb 28, 2007
sage & onion wrote:It depends on what your Company wants to employ you as and if they want the same thing mentioned in your visa / work permit. If they insist to mention that you are an IT Engineer, then you need a diploma (for work permit purposes) If for instance they would accept to employ you as IT Engineer but apply for work permit as an Archives Clerk, then you would not need a Diploma.

It will also directly affect what they pay you.
^ian^
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Feb 28, 2007
^ian^ wrote:
sage & onion wrote:It depends on what your Company wants to employ you as and if they want the same thing mentioned in your visa / work permit. If they insist to mention that you are an IT Engineer, then you need a diploma (for work permit purposes) If for instance they would accept to employ you as IT Engineer but apply for work permit as an Archives Clerk, then you would not need a Diploma.

It will also directly affect what they pay you.

Not necessarily Dr.D...Sometimes the company does not have the required no. of visas for a particular category...So they apply for it under some other.....Ur designation in the organisation is not affected only on the visa... The implications of that would be

Problems during job transfer/change and also visas for other GCC countries...
devilsdiciple
Dubai Expat Helper

Feb 28, 2007
Guys thank you very much for your help, i think in the next DF meeting i'll have to pay for many beers!!!! :lol:
Greekman
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Feb 28, 2007
Only beers?!!! What about the stunt scene from burj al arab? :cry:
asc_26
Dubai forums GURU

Feb 28, 2007
asc_26 wrote:Only beers?!!! What about the stunt scene from burj al arab? :cry:

If you say "please" i might do that...
Greekman
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Feb 28, 2007
Greekman wrote:Guys thank you very much for your help, i think in the next DF meeting i'll have to pay for many beers!!!! :lol:

What? you did not jump! Darn it - oh well I guess beers will have to do [inheritance would have been better]!
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 01, 2007
Concord wrote:
Greekman wrote:Guys thank you very much for your help, i think in the next DF meeting i'll have to pay for many beers!!!! :lol:

What? you did not jump! Darn it - oh well I guess beers will have to do [inheritance would have been better]!

Concs and asc_26 i believe you have something against me, i can't explain the fact that you're both very sad because i will not jump!!!

Besides, it's getting cold up there... let's wait for the summer :lol: :lol:
Greekman
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Mar 01, 2007
Greekman wrote:
Concord wrote:

Concs and asc_26 i believe you have something against me, i can't explain the fact that you're both very sad because i will not jump!!!

NOT but with concord's hidden agenda. Mine is only seeing live stunt. I don't know with concord. Last will has been prepared.
asc_26
Dubai forums GURU

Mar 01, 2007
Greekman wrote:
Concord wrote:

NOT but with concord's hidden agenda. Mine is only seeing live stunt. I don't know with concord. Last will has been prepared.
asc_26
Dubai forums GURU

Mar 01, 2007
EDIT: Double post.
asc_26
Dubai forums GURU

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum