Civil Marriage: Man Christian .. Woman Muslim

Topic locked
Civil Marriage: Man Christian .. Woman Muslim Nov 19, 2013
Hi all, am new here and would like someone with knowledge to enlighten me please. My fiancé is gonna convert to Islam, but me (UAE national) & him (Lebanese nationality) are planning to have civil marriage in Cyprus. I heard once all needed documents available, such marriage can be valid in the UAE (once attested by concerned authorities). How far is this true? Any future complications?

LadySou
UAE, Dubai Forum starter

Re: Civil Marriage: Man Christian .. Woman Muslim Jan 23, 2014
LadySou , Hi! Look what is written in the Cyprus embassy site about wedding ceremony of the foreigners in the Cyprus:
Since in many cases, the celebration of civil marriage concerns couples from all over the world, the aforesaid certificate may need to be “Apostilled”, according to The Hague (Apostille) Convention of 5th October 1961, Abolishing the Requirement of Legalisation for Foreign Public Documents. The said Convention facilitates the circulation of public documents executed in one State party to the Convention and to be produced in another State party to the Convention. For a Table of all the Contracting State Parties to the Apostille Convention, please go the the following link:http://hcch.e-vision.nl/index_en.php?act=conventions.status&cid=41.
If the country you are national of, is a contracting member of the Apostille Convention, then the certificate must be legalised with an Apostille by the Ministry of Justice and Public Order of the Republic of Cyprus, after paying the relevant fee €3,42 (CY£2).If your country you are national of, is NOT a contracting member of the relevant Convention, then the said certificate can be legalised with an Apostille by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Cyprus after paying the relevant fee €3,42 (CY£2).

Actually I haven't found UAE neither in the list of members of the convention non in the list of non-members. But I think it can be considered in the second group of countries and your wedding certificate can be legalized in Dubai with an Apostille by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Cyprus.

Good luck!
raintear
Dubai forums Addict

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum