Can You Tell Me What Is Good About Living In Dubai Apart ...

Topic locked
Can you tell me what is good about living in Dubai apart ... Feb 22, 2008
Okay Dubai residents, here's your chance to sell me Duabi, UAE !
What is good about this place apart from the usual - Tax Free, the Malls and the good weather ?
Take into account that I am a young family with a baby boy (8 months and a half). Both parents working and we are both 34.

Okay, off you go !! :P

Remicharles1
Dubai Forum Visitor

Re: Can you tell me what is good about living in Dubai apart Feb 24, 2008
Remicharles1 wrote:Okay Dubai residents, here's your chance to sell me Duabi, UAE !
What is good about this place apart from the usual - Tax Free, the Malls and the good weather ?
Take into account that I am a young family with a baby boy (8 months and a half). Both parents working and we are both 34.

Okay, off you go !! :P

In dubai it is possible to earn enough money so that one parent can stay at home and look after the baby.
benwj
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Re: Can you tell me what is good about living in Dubai apart Feb 24, 2008
Remicharles1 wrote:and the good weather ?

Wait till July to experience the nicest weather. That's why I'm here
spoonman
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Feb 27, 2008
Both of us intend to work and my wife's work has child care service.

I'm not sure about the weather in July, unless you like to frazzle ?

Hasn't anyone got anything good they want to tell us ?

What about going for a barbecue in the desert or going to Mascat ? What about surfing the dunes or camel racing, isn't there something else ???
Remicharles1
Dubai Forum Visitor

Feb 27, 2008
You don't need to be a competitive race car driver to fell you're on a race track!
^ian^
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Feb 28, 2008
Remicharles1 wrote:Both of us intend to work and my wife's work has child care service.

I'm not sure about the weather in July, unless you like to frazzle ?

Hasn't anyone got anything good they want to tell us ?

What about going for a barbecue in the desert or going to Mascat ? What about surfing the dunes or camel racing, isn't there something else ???

Yes, there's lots of things to do, you just need to make sure you are realistic about salaries and living costs.

You say your wife is in Childcare Services - can you elaborate on this. Remember, this is a country where Maids are two-a-penny and cheap as chips, and many expats are willing to leave their kids in the care of a nanny/helper/maid who often has no experience, yet alone qualifications

What are you doing? Do you have an offer?
The Major
Dubai forums Addict

Feb 29, 2008
What's good about Dubai:

1. No snow
2. Sunny most of the time
3. Safe (crimewise)
4. Most things are available (almost 'first world" for the most part)
5. Airport has fligths to hundreds of locations
6. clean beaches (although not accessible yearround do to heat)
7. Sage & Onion lives here and loves the place.
8. Arniegang does not live here.

Other than that it is no different than most places and worse on many instances (there are a couple of threads about it) but you asked "what's good about dubai"

Good luck.
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 05, 2008
The Major asked what my wife was doing or about childcare.

My wife has an offer as a Professor at the American University and they have childcare there. I have an offer with Fitness First.

It looks definate that we are on our way.
Remicharles1
Dubai Forum Visitor

Mar 05, 2008
cool one more family decided to come. i wonder how many have left dubai :D .
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 05, 2008
Remicharles1 wrote:The Major asked what my wife was doing or about childcare.

My wife has an offer as a Professor at the American University and they have childcare there. I have an offer with Fitness First.

It looks definate that we are on our way.

i hope you are getting top dollare but seriously how much money can you get at fitness first.

housing is ridicioslus (I can never spell that word) in dubai.

I get a ridiciously high salary in Dubai (only compared to others) but will leave in August becaus out of principal I refuse to pay the amount of money they are asking for a villa (although it woudl "only" mean about 8% of my salary) but c'mon...

Look at www.gulfnew.com or www.dubizzle.com and check out the rental prices...you'll head will explode...
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 05, 2008
No need to look at rental prices. We have a 2 bedroom apartment with my wifes job - nothing to pay for except telephone !!
Our money will be going on food, transport and leisure. Any other hidden costs?
Remicharles1
Dubai Forum Visitor

Mar 06, 2008
Remicharles1 wrote:No need to look at rental prices. We have a 2 bedroom apartment with my wifes job - nothing to pay for except telephone !!
Our money will be going on food, transport and leisure. Any other hidden costs?

If housing is covered then you are ok - would be your biggest cost. Otherwise think large Eurpopean/American city prices (except for prepared food with is not as expensive - plus there would be no booze bill at many restaurants).

Good luck.
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Re: Can you tell me what is good about living in Dubai apart Mar 09, 2008
Remicharles1 wrote:What is good about this place apart from the usual - Tax Free, the Malls and the good weather ?

What's good about tax free if in general the prices are higher, living cost are higher, and ultimately the rent is higher than other countries with tax (VAT/income)? The only things cheaper are car and gasoline.

What's good about weather? Yes, only in winter. Living in tropical countries are more pleasant.

But.... despite of those, still people come here mostly for the money. Better savings than in home country. That's all.
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

Mar 09, 2008
As you are italian you will love it here, fags are chaep and smoking is even more restrictive as in Italy :shock:
M!
Dubai forums Addict

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum