Do American's Of Pakistan/India Origin Make Good Money?

Topic locked
Do American's of Pakistan/India origin make good money? Apr 12, 2007
DF,

Do Indians/Pakistanis from America, who have an American college degree, American work experience and American citizenship do they get paid good too since their also from the states? really curious about that, please let me know, thanks.

techsource2005
Dubai Forums Member

May 01, 2007
Hey,

I recently moved here. I am a Pakistani with US qualifications and work exprience.

People say that "White" people here make a lot more than Indian/Pakistanis. I am working with a lot of Scandinavians and American people and I am making the same as they are. I have been repeatedly told tham I am the exception to the rule and most Indians/Pakistanis do not make good money even if they are from the states.
Dubaidude007
Dubai forums Addict

May 01, 2007
Dubaidude007 wrote:Hey,

I recently moved here. I am a Pakistani with US qualifications and work exprience.

People say that "White" people here make a lot more than Indian/Pakistanis. I am working with a lot of Scandinavians and American people and I am making the same as they are. I have been repeatedly told tham I am the exception to the rule and most Indians/Pakistanis do not make good money even if they are from the states.

Maybe your a "white" Pakistani then :wink:
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

May 01, 2007
Dubaidude007 wrote:I have been repeatedly told tham I am the exception to the rule and most Indians/Pakistanis do not make good money even if they are from the states.

There's no rule, but assumption and discrimination.
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

May 01, 2007
One look at the jobs section of the classifieds should answer your question.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

May 02, 2007
In general what gtmash says is true but all depends on the (potential) company you work for and how they package their remunneration.
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

Re: Do American's of Pakistan/India origin make good money? May 03, 2007
techsource2005 wrote:DF,

Do Indians/Pakistanis from America, who have an American college degree, American work experience and American citizenship do they get paid good too since their also from the states? really curious about that, please let me know, thanks.

I don't know about you dude, but coming from the US and all, would you work for an exceptionally efficient beduin company that pays you according to your passport or skin color, rather than your skills?

Just wondering... :wink:
cactus_rock
Dubai Forums Member

May 03, 2007
Sadly and hate to say it but in many companies here it won't matter where you've been educated your still Pakistani/Indian and that will be that.

It shouldn't be that way, but in many cases it is.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

May 03, 2007
Chocoholic wrote:Sadly and hate to say it but in many companies here it won't matter where you've been educated your still Pakistani/Indian and that will be that.

It shouldn't be that way, but in many cases it is.

What's wrong in being a Pakistani or an Indian? I honestly believe people should not be applying to positions where ethnicity is the major factor. To me, its simply ridiculous... and so 20th century.

In my industry (Investment Banking), people are generally paid according to their skills. DIFC is up and running, and qualified people are needed all the time. Investment bankers don't take bull from anyone. I am a Pakistani, and my nationality was certainly NOT a factor when my package was finalized. I know for a fact that I am paid more than a lot of westerners in the same industry with similar qualifications.

I would say that if an Asian accepts a low salary for a position that a westerner is being paid big bucks for, then he is himself to blame. :(
cactus_rock
Dubai Forums Member

May 03, 2007
cactus_rock wrote:I would say that if an Asian accepts a low salary for a position that a westerner is being paid big bucks for, then he is himself to blame. :(

That's the real problem. Most of Asian are "willing" to get paid low. For them, as long as it's "better" (exchange rates & can send home some money) than the wages in their home countries, they're happy.

To all Asians, start to put a price for yourself for whatever skills and experience. We are deserved to be paid high.
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

Re: Do American's of Pakistan/India origin make good money? May 03, 2007
cactus_rock wrote:
techsource2005 wrote:DF,

I don't know about you dude, but coming from the US and all, would you work for an exceptionally efficient beduin company that pays you according to your passport or skin color, rather than your skills?

Just wondering... :wink:

A lot of white folks seem to be enjoying the benefits, no matter what their views on equality, hehe. :wink:
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

May 06, 2007
There's nothing wrong in being Pakistani or Indian, but the fact of the matter is, it might be the 21st century, but Dubai and the UAE is still in many ways working as a third world country. People of Asian origin constantly get paid less salaries whilst having the same qualifications if not higher than many 'western' expats, and half the problem is they accpet it. If people started putting a better value on themselves then it would help the problem.

But also look at the nationality of the workers in this country, Pakistani, Indian. Filipino, do you see any western labourers? That's the tragic thing, unless you guys start sticking up for yourselves, that's where the locals will only ever see you. It's a sad but true fact.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

May 06, 2007
xty wrote:
cactus_rock wrote:I would say that if an Asian accepts a low salary for a position that a westerner is being paid big bucks for, then he is himself to blame. :(

That's the real problem. Most of Asian are "willing" to get paid low. For them, as long as it's "better" (exchange rates & can send home some money) than the wages in their home countries, they're happy.

To all Asians, start to put a price for yourself for whatever skills and experience. We are deserved to be paid high.

Subtle things have a huge impact on how people judge you. Not being able to speak English properly or even sophisticatedly does just that. Even if your boss can't put in words why you seem unimpressive, he won't think of you for next promotion.

That's the general case, anyway.

I don't know if there are dumb whites that get paid a lot of money just because they are white, I haven't been out there yet. But it does make sense to assume that members of advanced societies should be just that, more advanced. I don't care what the hippies in the U.S. say.

If you don't like how much you're getting paid, find something else to do.
msafi
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum