Abu Dhabi - Cost Of Living

Topic locked
Abu Dhabi - Cost of living May 13, 2009
Hello all,

Firstly, let me say “Hello” as I have been reading through a few posts here and it all seems very helpful! I know this is "Dubai Forums", but maybe someone can still offer some advice?

I have recently been (potentially) offered a job in Abu Dhabi for a privately owned company.

I am personal friends with the owners and would love the opportunity to live out there…

The offer currently stands at being paid around £1210 GBP per month (which is roughly 6691AED), plus accommodation, health insurance and trips home (and all the visas etc), there is also the possibility of a car allowance.

I am just looking for some independent advice and to gather your thoughts on the package (and whether or not it will be feasible to live out there based on the above).

Just a bit of background; I am 21 years old, and single. I have been to Abu Dhabi before and I absolutely adore the country. I find it beautiful, and there seems to be a wealth of opportunity there! I am hard-working, and willing to put the effort into this job in order to progress within the company etc… so starting salary (for me) isn’t going to be a huge issue. I am not too interested in saving tens of thousands of pounds in a short space of time, but I will want to live “comfortably”, i.e: being able to buy food, maybe eating out once or twice a week, visiting the cinema, relaxing at weekends, able to buy clothes. I don’t want to live within my four walls and just about make ends meet (because I am currently doing that in the UK!). I hope that doesn’t come across as rude, but as you can see – this will be a huge move, and one that needs to be a right move.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide,

Amnesia180
Dubai Forum Guest

May 14, 2009
THE PACKAGE UR GETTING IS PRETTY GOOD COMPARED TO THE CURRENT MARKET SITUATION. TAKE THE OFFER PROBABLY YOU MIGHT FIND BETTER PAID JOBS LATER ONCE YOU GET THE MARKET EXPERIENCE.
MAATC
Dubai Forums Member

May 14, 2009
MAATC wrote:THE PACKAGE UR GETTING IS PRETTY GOOD COMPARED TO THE CURRENT MARKET SITUATION. TAKE THE OFFER PROBABLY YOU MIGHT FIND BETTER PAID JOBS LATER ONCE YOU GET THE MARKET EXPERIENCE.

Thank you for your reply.

This reply took me as quite a shock as the majority of people are saying that it's not enough for me to even buy groceries with!!

I think as a starting point, as long as I can buy food, relax at weekends and insure a car, I should be ok?
Amnesia180
Dubai Forum Guest

May 14, 2009
I would ask them to throw in the car + gasoline expense as well. It will be much easier for you that way.

Aside from that, the package seems fair, given the economic climate.

AD is a lot more expensive in terms of rent, so depending on where you are living, it is worth just about the same as your take home salary.

Cheers.
dresden
Dubai chat master

May 14, 2009
Hi dresdenn,

Thanks for your reply.

So 6600 + accomodation (not an allowance) + car/gasoline should be a fair starting point?
Amnesia180
Dubai Forum Guest

May 14, 2009
Fair for your age and experience in my opinion. Although it is highly dependant on the position/responsibilities/industry etc. If your aim is to live comfortably and not focus on saving, you should do just fine.

If you are personal friends with the owner, it should not be a big issue. But take some time to familiarize yourself with the labour Laws in the UAE as it is NOT AT ALL the same as in the UK. You might eventually want to switch jobs/companies if you are offered a higher package with another firm and find out you are not able to switch.
Read through your contract carefully and see the different clauses.

Also poke around the website for local laws in general as it can be quite a culture shock when you first get here. I personally went through it as things which were completely normal to me are disallowed or frowned up here.

Overall, its a nice place and you will meet a ton of great folks.

Cheers,
dresden
Dubai chat master

Jun 03, 2009
Amnesia180 wrote:Hi dresdenn,

Thanks for your reply.

So 6600 + accomodation (not an allowance) + car/gasoline should be a fair starting point?

Hi Amnesia180!

may i know the nature of your work here in AUH!?

i'm working & living in AUH for almost 8 years, maybe i can give you some advice.. :wink:
scms
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Jun 07, 2009
very expensive in abu dhabi
nikolai_javier
Dubai Forum Visitor

Jun 12, 2009
good luck in dubai
matrixsun
Dubai Forum User

Jun 13, 2009
Hiya mate,

Sounds like you got a good opportunity which will give you the stepping stones for a good career in dubai.

Do you know if your company has any other opportunities at all?

I have Office/Operations Management Experience in the online industry,with BA(Hons) Business Management degree. I am finding it extremely hard to find any opportunites, and never seem to get any response once my CV has been sent off!

Any advice or help would be very much appreciated!

Good luck again.
HSINGH
UAE, Dubai Forum starter

Jun 13, 2009
Cost of living in Abu Dhabi is similar to Dubai is accommodation is provided. If not, then much more expensive.

7000 not great but if car allowance and all other items in list included, then you can live. A little.
bonk
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum