Dubai Rugby 7s

Topic locked

Is the rugby 7's good value and will you be going?

Poll ended at Oct 13, 2009

Yes
50%
No
50%

Total votes : 2

Dubai Rugby 7s Oct 06, 2009
Anyone else think that the Rugby 7s has become an overpriced money making venture.
I'm fed up with being fed bullshit by the organisers trying to tell me that they have kept prices down... and it is going to be so great etc etc.
Tickets are twice what they were a few years back before it started selling out. It hasn't sold out since it moved to the new venue which I might add is in the middle of nowhere.
The advert says "caution, may elevate heart rate!". I know why.
Corporate tables are AED 30,000
Do not answer Yes if your company is paying for it because that is the only way they will get me there.

benwj
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Oct 07, 2009
300 Dhs for 3 days! Of course it's good value, you can't expect tickets not to go up in price.

The 7's is one of the highlights of the Dubai sporting and social calender. DXB is always voted the best stop on the global 7's tour and for good reason. I go every year without fail and always have a blast!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Oct 07, 2009
Nice sales pitch.
Thursday is free meaning 300 Dhs for 2 days (not 3), although most people can only manage one day, of which Saturday is the preferred choice and costs 230 Dhs for a single day.
The organizers will feed you with crap about all of the supplementary entertainment etc etc but no one goes to see that.
The organizers seem to be losing touch with what made the rugby 7s popular.
It was cheap and booze plentiful.
Most people went there to get wasted, watch a bit of rugby, and catch a cab to town afterwards.
And don't try to tell me that you were not one of these.
230 Dhs is a lot of money for a second tier sport and it is also a lot of money to pay for the privilage of getting drunk.
Fair enough, clean it up a bit if you have to, but don't price people out in the process.
Luckily I do not have a strong bond and do not feel the need to go regardless of how expensive it is.
As I said I will go if free tickets come my way, and I might go Thursday to support some local teams. But I don't really care which country wins the international comp (no one else does ether, bragging rights to the sevens means about as much as the IPL.
Judging by your sales pitch Chocs, I suspect that you are getting tickets for nothing, but if you are a genuine fan, then its people like you who the organizers are taking advantage of.
benwj

Oct 07, 2009
benwj wrote:Luckily I do not have a strong bond and do not feel the need to go regardless of how expensive it is.

Well, that's good. Then everyone is happy :).

You save money and don't waste your time attending something you don't have a strong bond with.

People who want to go will be pleased because it means more chance they can get a ticket to an event that is usually sold out.
bonk

Oct 08, 2009
bonk wrote:People who want to go will be pleased because it means more chance they can get a ticket to an event that is usually sold out.

It aint going to be sold out. Unless you believe everything the organisers tell you.
benwj

Oct 08, 2009
Every year the 7's sells out!

Organisers run complimentary shuttle buses from various venues around the city to the 7's ground, and then back again after the matches.

Yes people do stay to watch the entertainment.

Clearly you don't go, so how would you know?

I have actually bought my tickets, I got them the day they were released. But yes I do normally get comps aswell - so what? So do lots of people I know, it's a perk of our industry!

If you don't wanna go for whatever reason fine. But thousands of others will. Dubai broke the record for 7's attendance last year - I think that says it all!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Oct 08, 2009
And you are clearly brainwashed by your own hype.

I don't care how you got your tickets.
But try doing it this year without the booze and see how great it is.
This will at least give you an unbiased opinion.

It reminds me of a seedy nightclub that was great when you were blind drunk, but other than that had nothing going for it.

The attitude, it will sell out so we don't care, is not a good one to have either.
benwj

posting in Dubai EventsForum Rules

Return to Dubai Events