Wonderful Airport Security In AD!

Topic locked
Wonderful airport security in AD! Aug 01, 2009
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/art ... wD99PFVL01

CAIRO — An official at Cairo airport says a foot-long baby crocodile wriggled out of a passenger's hand luggage and caused panic on a flight from the United Arab Emirates.

A crew member on the EgyptAir flight from Abu Dhabi rounded up the wayward reptile and calmed passengers. The airport security official says the animal was seized and given to the Cairo Zoo.

Transporting exotic animals in and out of the Egypt is illegal, and none of the passengers on Friday's flight claimed ownership of the baby croc.

The airport official spoke on condition of anonymity because he is not authorized to speak to the press.

Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Re: Wonderful airport security in AD! Aug 01, 2009
Chocoholic wrote:http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5ga3pkMiHNwez4Wlln8wTA5Mk5R9wD99PFVL01

CAIRO — An official at Cairo airport says a foot-long baby crocodile wriggled out of a passenger's hand luggage and caused panic on a flight from the United Arab Emirates.

A crew member on the EgyptAir flight from Abu Dhabi rounded up the wayward reptile and calmed passengers. The airport security official says the animal was seized and given to the Cairo Zoo.

Transporting exotic animals in and out of the Egypt is illegal, and none of the passengers on Friday's flight claimed ownership of the baby croc.

The airport official spoke on condition of anonymity because he is not authorized to speak to the press.

Good job it was only a foot long :lol:
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Aug 01, 2009
Now there's a statement not often heard on a familly forum
busa
Dubai forums Addict

Aug 01, 2009
busa wrote:Now there's a statement not often heard on a familly forum

I was of course talking about the crocodile :wink:
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Aug 02, 2009
I'm glad the croc didn't start nibbling on the aircraft wiring :D

Could get ugly with those little razor blades.
RobbyG
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: Wonderful airport security in AD! Aug 02, 2009
Chocoholic wrote:http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5ga3pkMiHNwez4Wlln8wTA5Mk5R9wD99PFVL01

CORRECTION

Desert lizard caused mid-flight panic
Staff Report
Published: August 02, 2009, 09:47

Dubai: The 'baby crocodile' that caused panic among passengers on an EgyptAir flight from Cairo to Abu Dhabi on Friday was actually a desert lizard.

Airline officials have been reported as confirming the rogue reptile, which reportedly made its way under seats and down the aisle, was seized upon landing in the Egyptian capital after the pilot of the plane insisted on turning back to Cairo.
All of the passengers onboard were questioned about the lizard but none admitted bringing it on board. It was handed to waiting vets at Cairo airport and will reportedly be kept at Giza Zoo.

Colonel Khamis Al Marar, Chairman of Abu Dhabi International Airport Security Board, said it was "impossible for anything that could threaten passengers' safety to pass unnoticed through Abu Dhabi airport".

Just adding the link:
http://www.gulfnews.com/nation/Travel_a ... 36723.html

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Metaphor79
Dubai Expat Helper

Aug 02, 2009
YOu see now this is interesting. If you google a search on the story, every single other news wire reports the flight FROM AD TO CAIRO!

Hmmmmmm AD government twisting the truth to avoid embarrassment?

Certainly I wouldn't believe the 'local', governmentally owned papers like Gulf News and Khaleej Times, because they are forbidden and censored from printing anything that would go against the UAE. But would rather go with Associated Press, The National and BBC News, Reuters etc etc. Or even, huh, shock horror, someone who actually works for Egypt Air or the airport!

And for someone in authority to say 'it is impossible for anything to threaten passengers' is highly irresponsible, especially in light of the recent oh I don't know, FOUR count them FOUR fatal crashes!

So I'm not buying the GF story at all.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Aug 02, 2009
Do you think AD govt would give a sh!t about such a trivial story and twist the truth to avoid embarrassment?? If it was a bomb, your theory would have made some sense, but it's only a foot long lizard. :)
As you said, it has to be verified from someone who works at the airport.

Remember Associated Press, BBC News, Reuters and all western etc etcss reported that Saddam Hussain had a direct link to Sept 11 and Iraq weapons of mass destruction were ready to be launched in minutes. :)
Metaphor79
Dubai Expat Helper

Aug 02, 2009
Metaphor79 wrote:Do you think AD govt would give a sh!t about such a trivial story and twist the truth to avoid embarrassment?? If it was a bomb, your theory would have made some sense, but it's only a foot long lizard. :)
As you said, it has to be verified from someone who works at the airport.

Remember Associated Press, BBC News, Reuters and all western etc etcss reported that Saddam Hussain had a direct link to Sept 11 and Iraq weapons of mass destruction were ready to be launched in minutes. :)

Uhh, hello?

The point is, they lost a LOT of credibility.
Don't focus on the object, but rather the image it projects to the rest of the audience (i.e. the people travelling).
dresden
Dubai chat master

Aug 02, 2009
Well, then you should never use any US airport after all the alleged terrorists, chemicals, knives, and other stuff that slipped through their airports. You can go swimming, that's safe. :D

Hello back!

The point here, dresden, is eagerly waiting for the slightest shortcoming about the country (where we work and live) and then make a big fuss out of it. Negative criticism in its ugliest way.
Metaphor79
Dubai Expat Helper

Aug 02, 2009
Fully agreed mate, but you have to seperate 'negative criticism' with a news report about a airport blunder that cannot be justified.

UAE takes a lot of flak, but this story is not "biased" in anyway. Facts are, the Airport authority let through a crocodile.

P.s, I was in Canada at the time of 911. You may not remember how much flak the authorities took regarding the hijackers coming through Canada, but believe me, they were ridiculed to death.

Pps. AD should just step up and say their airport securities are being investigated and improved. Will diffuse the situation in a minute.
dresden
Dubai chat master

Aug 02, 2009
It was the title of the thread that carried negative criticism.

I agree with you on your last point. That would be a very wise step, if the story is true that the lizard or the crocodile slipped through AD airport in the first place!

Admitting and trying to fix the blunder is far better than hiding or twisting it.
Metaphor79
Dubai Expat Helper

Aug 02, 2009
To add to the original story, none of them state whether the flight originated in Abu Dhabi. It might well have been a stop off, enroute from somewhere else.

Sad thing is airport security in the UAE is lax, the amount of times I've carried 'banned' items on-board in my hand luggage and no-one even batted an eyelid. Dubai is bad, Shajah probably the worst! Their x-ray guys don't even look at the screen!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Aug 03, 2009
Chocoholic wrote:YOu see now this is interesting. If you google a search on the story, every single other news wire reports the flight FROM AD TO CAIRO!

Hmmmmmm AD government twisting the truth to avoid embarrassment?

So I'm not buying the GF story at all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SapmBqbS ... re=related
uaebadoo
Dubai forums Addict

Aug 03, 2009
No idea what that was about, care to give a translation?
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Aug 03, 2009
Chocoholic wrote:To add to the original story, none of them state whether the flight originated in Abu Dhabi. It might well have been a stop off, enroute from somewhere else.

Sad thing is airport security in the UAE is lax, the amount of times I've carried 'banned' items on-board in my hand luggage and no-one even batted an eyelid. Dubai is bad, Shajah probably the worst! Their x-ray guys don't even look at the screen!

my god choc, could you Contribute something useful to your community other than this crap, I mean Really, forget about me being a local but you performance as part of the community is getting low.

it is only logical that animals will be imported from africa to UAE, not the other way around !! and why would any one illegally export such an animal as a Desert lizard that is available in both countries just around the corner.

now regarding your opinion on AD security , just to let you know that it got awarded for being the best airport security in the Middle east
"This award comes shortly after ADIA has won international recognition as provider of world-class security services. ADIA was the first UAE airport that has passed the security audit programme administered by the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO), as part of an overall security audit of civil aviation facilities in the UAE "

not bad for such an airport but not excellent too.

your on going assumption and opinions are low and has no ground
to stand on, maybe you are frustrated living in UAE or simply don't approve of such a country system and you have the right to do so but don't let it be a reason to lower your judgment abilities in things around you. otherwise you 'll end up like a homeless guy setting down the corner talking to him self where it went wrong in his life.

I am shocked that you don't trust the local news (me too LOL) but you do know that you comment on it's articles when someone posts them in DF !! but you only do so when the article has a negative side in it.
uaekid
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Aug 03, 2009
To be honest, airport security is pretty good in Abu Dhabi and Dubai Airport. ......

However one episode really soured my taste. A limping man leaving the UAE for good was told to pass his cane for inspection, when they took the cane, he sat on the ground as he couldnt stand without support, the security guy stated laughing and asked why he couldnt walk. It was really insensitive, and then he told the limping guy to walk to a chair 20 yards away to sit .......which obviously he couldn't do...Then one of them had a brainstorm and suggested they ask for a wheelchair.....
BlackburnRovers
Dubai Expat Helper

Aug 03, 2009
Kid, I am fully within my rights to talk about my own experiences. I travel alot out of the UAE, and sadly the airport experience is not always a good one. Thank goodness for Terminal 3 now, as it's much better.

And once again, if you can't learn to take constructive criticism, how do you ever expect to improve a situation.

And your opinion on local news? Of course I don't trust them! I used to work for Gulf News for goodness sake! If any journo writes anything against any of the ruling families or says anything bad about the UAE they are fired on the spot and marched from the building! There is little press freedom in this country. 7 Days was shut down for a while for printing such things. So you really do need to open your eyes on that one.

Not frustrated at all Kid, I'd still rather live here than anywhere else at this time.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Aug 03, 2009
as you said ( not always ) but previously you gave a conclusion they are bad, now they can't be bad if they won awards in at least improve their security and you do not expect any organization to run 100% all the time, it's just impossible .

constructive criticism, I'll take and I didn't say they are perfect, hell sometimes they keep me for hours to check my luggage and I hate win they ask me to reorganize it my self after he had thrown all my belonging on that table, stupid local officer.

but again them winning awards conflict with your criticism ,doesn't it, and it is an airport usual thing to have a hard time passing throw them. it's just how airports are.

and I still stand on my opinion regarding publishing news to the public that does not concern them to begin with and I did challenge you guys to fine any news that was concerning the public and was with hold by the government didn't get any reply. and news can't be taken as an entertament on other ppl expenses ,shacks VIPs or another ones personal life, why are you posits with it any way ?! I under stan that it amuse you to see other in trouble or in a shameful act but it's their personal life after all
uaekid
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Aug 03, 2009
You make absoltuely no sense whatsoever. I didn't backtrack, winning awards doesn't make any difference to my original opnion, sorry youread it that way.

Clearly you don't understand the point of 'news', so I'd stop reading the papers altogether if I were you.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Aug 03, 2009
after watching this clip i have declared that lizards are friendly bunch :D

rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Re: Wonderful airport security in AD! Aug 03, 2009
Science Park wrote:that is terrible!!!
how did it get past UAE security?????????

seriously dont know. you got something in your pants, try to figure how you get IT past UAE security :D
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Aug 03, 2009
People try to smuggle animals/drugs/weapons onto aircraft all the time. IF they're determined and clever enough some do succeed.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Aug 03, 2009
or you could always hide it in your pants as long as it doesnt bite your rooster-a-doodal-do :D
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Aug 03, 2009
Well there was one guy that cuaght with something stupid like 50 birds tied to his legs!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Aug 03, 2009
Chocoholic wrote:Well there was one guy that cuaght with something stupid like 50 birds tied to his legs!

My god 50 birdssssss

so how many Eggs were there ????
uaebadoo
Dubai forums Addict

Aug 03, 2009
Not in this country, can't remember where. No eggs. He literally had rare finches in socks strapped to his legs under his trousers.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Aug 03, 2009
Chocoholic wrote:Not in this country, can't remember where. No eggs. He literally had rare finches in socks strapped to his legs under his trousers.

am sure it must have been england :D

the things men could hide in their trousers amazes me ;) I am trying to imagine what pavarotti could have hidden in his trouser :D or what Ghandi would have hidden in his LUNGI :D http://www.edupics.com/mahatma-ghandi-t11424.jpg lol in this pic he barely hides himself in his lungi :D
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Aug 03, 2009
Actually it was at LAX!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Aug 03, 2009
Chocoholic wrote:Actually it was at LAX!

well they are bloody worse in USA, they sleep with animals up there :S

YUCK DISGUSTING.
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat