Why Are Indoor Restaurants Closed Until Iftar?

Topic locked
Why are indoor restaurants closed until iftar? Sep 17, 2007
Firstly, I do not understand why muslims do not show their strong faith by being able to see others eating and to refrain themselves.
But, secondly, if they really cannot, I do not understand why indoor restaurants and cafes are closed until iftar.
If they cannot see other people eating, just do not go to indoor restaurants or cafes, but allow the rest of the world to have a normal life.

doanni
Dubai Expat Wannabe

why Sep 17, 2007
every country has its own laws, may be they have their own ways of life,
but takeaway is available every where. :D
harrysat
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Re: Why are indoor restaurants closed until iftar? Sep 17, 2007
doanni wrote:Firstly, I do not understand why muslims do not show their strong faith by being able to see others eating and to refrain themselves.
But, secondly, if they really cannot, I do not understand why indoor restaurants and cafes are closed until iftar.
If they cannot see other people eating, just do not go to indoor restaurants or cafes, but allow the rest of the world to have a normal life.

Most of the Hotels operate restaurants during Ramadan.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: Why are indoor restaurants closed until iftar? Sep 17, 2007
doanni wrote:Firstly, I do not understand why muslims do not show their strong faith by being able to see others eating and to refrain themselves.

If you don't like it, you know where the airport is....

Have some respect!
The Major
Dubai forums Addict

Sep 18, 2007
Many places are open and just blackout the windows.

But really I don't see what the big deal is, most palces will deliver during the daytime.

Crap comment Major, at least be constructive.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Re: Why are indoor restaurants closed until iftar? Sep 18, 2007
Maybe because they didn't apply for the license or permission or whatever? And anyway, operationally-wise it can be a nightmare for them to open for lunch, iftar, dinner and suhoor! That will mean opening for almost 24 hours... And yeah, most places deliver anyway...
liverpool4ever
Dubai Expat Helper

Sep 18, 2007
as a muslim who fasts... i think its crazy.

whenever i go to pick up food to bring back home for the family, i can't get served until AFTER sunset. of course there are some places that will deliver..but most do not even turn on the grills or begin to cook until after sunset.
jumanji
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Sep 18, 2007
My friend living in Abu Dhabi just told me they have blocked most of the toll free numbers of fast food restuarants such KFC, Pizza Hut etc. :?
abdulnafees
Dubai forums Addict

Re: Why are indoor restaurants closed until iftar? Sep 18, 2007

Coz if i did that to you in another senario, you would find it rude

doanni wrote:But, secondly, if they really cannot, I do not understand why indoor restaurants and cafes are closed until iftar.

Umm.....No

You can go home and cook something for yourself at day time for a month

every country have their laws and its up to us to follow them
Bleakus
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 18, 2007
Of course the other thing that is quite useful during Ramadan, from a Business point of view, is that you can send most of your staff on leave if you are in the food service industry, indeed that's what a lot of establishments do.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Sep 18, 2007
Some restaurants in the business districts are still open, like the food courts in DIC. Last year came along with an outdoor (almost closed) tent for smokers.
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

Sep 19, 2007
Karachi Darbar serves from hours before.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Sep 19, 2007
I agree with Major, dont like it go to the airport. UAE is an islamic countryy.
If dubai can give you a little freedom during the whole year, why not give respect to the month of Ramadan.
bsorc
Dubai forums Addict

Sep 19, 2007
it really isn't a problem unless you make it one; deal with it
Sydneysider
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Sep 19, 2007
To OP, if you ever come to Saudi (e.g. Riyadh) then you'll be thankful being in Dubai. Even not in Ramadan month.
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

Sep 19, 2007
xty wrote:Some restaurants in the business districts are still open, like the food courts in DIC. Last year came along with an outdoor (almost closed) tent for smokers.

They know better not to close the food court in building 3 as most customers there are caucasians... and you know how these guys can be if you remove these basic conveniences from them. hehe. :wink:
This year's "smoker's tent" looks more like a gas chamber by the way. lol.
yujinn
Dubai forums Addict

Sep 19, 2007
yujinn wrote:
They know better not to close the food court in building 3 as most customers there are caucasians...

i love the way you label people like that, just brillant :D
Bleakus
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 19, 2007
^ I'd rather be technical if I'm going to be a stereotyping racist :wink:
Anyway... on the topic, it's a bummer really especially for people like me who doesn't cook their own food. Besides, if im caught hungry in the middle of the day outside, I wouldnt eat in a hotel- too expensive!. So what to do?
yujinn
Dubai forums Addict

Sep 19, 2007
yujinn wrote:^ I'd rather be technical if I'm going to be a stereotyping racist :wink:
Anyway... on the topic, it's a bummer really especially for people like me who doesn't cook their own food. Besides, if im caught hungry in the middle of the day outside, I wouldnt eat in a hotel- too expensive!. So what to do?

well the only thing i can recommend is to grab some fruit...its good for yeah
Bleakus
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 19, 2007
yujinn wrote:^ I'd rather be technical if I'm going to be a stereotyping racist :wink:

Get some sandwich/muffin/ready-to-eat foods from the supermarkets. They are not closed, are they?
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

Sep 20, 2007
I live quite close to a Burger King and find it hilarious watching people queing up outside waiting for them to open their doors in the evening. If you can't survive a day without a Burger King then there's something wrong with your outlook on life

You'd be better off fasting than eating Burger King anyway.
CVB
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Sep 23, 2007
Get some sandwich/muffin/ready-to-eat foods from the supermarkets. They are not closed, are they?[/quote]

Yeah, and I eat it in the street at 45 F and 63% humidity!!!
Of course I can take food from take aways, or cook at home as I usually do. But the point here is about INDOOR restaurants or coffee shops. You only see people eating there if you go inside.....do not go inside if you cannot bear to see others eating. But let the rest of the people enjoy a coffee in the morning with friends at a coffee shop or meet people for a light lunch or go sit and read a book at a nice coffee shop while having a drink.
doanni
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Sep 23, 2007
It probably means 45 C and 63% humidity!!
galero
Dubai Forum Visitor

Sep 24, 2007
galero wrote:It probably means 45 C and 63% humidity!!

I think you have got "It" right :lol:
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat