UAE Policemen Charged With Abusing Power

Topic locked
UAE Policemen charged with abusing power Sep 02, 2009
Policemen charged with abusing power theft
By Bassam Za'za', Senior Reporter
Published: September 01, 2009, 23:12

Dubai: Two law enforcement officers have strongly denied abusing their authority and rejected the charge of kidnapping a driver in a police car and stealing Dh2,500 from him, a court heard.

Records quoted an Emirati police first lieutenant testifying that a number of Indian vegetable and fish vendors had complained that they were being robbed by policemen in Al Quoz who were on duty in their official uniforms and driving their police car.

The defendants, 19-year-old corporal H.E. and 20-year-old first corporal A.M., both denied the charges before the Dubai Court of First Instance yesterday.

The Public Prosecution charged them with abusing their authority as law enforcement officers, kidnapping 23-year-old Indian M.R., and stealing his money. They were also charged with unlawfully questioning and searching M.R., who delivers fish to cafeterias in Al Quoz.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The suspects pleaded not guilty before they handed Presiding Judge Al Saeed Mohammad Barghout a written waiver that they had obtained from M.R.

The first lieutenant testified: "A policeman monitored the patrol [car] which had the plate number that was given to us by a complainant. Initial interrogations exposed that 19-year-old corporal H.E. and 20-year-old first corporal A.M. were the suspects [involved]. The policeman, who was assigned to monitor the suspects, spotted them picking up an Indian vendor and stalked them for a while before he lost their track."

The 40-year-old policeman stated: "Upon the first lieutenant's instructions, I monitored the area for two days in search of the suspects whom I spotted on the third day ... I saw them picking up a vegetable vendor, then M.R., before they dropped them shortly after that. When I lost their track, I informed the first lieutenant who arranged for their arrest."

Public Prosecution records said the first lieutenant then spotted the suspects in another place. When he asked them what they were doing in that area, the defendants claimed that they were combing the vicinity.

"Then one of them admitted that they had been picking up vendors and stealing their money," added the first lieutenant.

M.R. claimed that the defendants ordered him to ride in their police car because they wanted to question him and check on his identification.

The trial continues.

--------------------------------------------------------
hope they get screwed

qdabdul
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Sep 02, 2009
I had a very good opinion of Dubai policemen. Now while its admirable that the erring party has been charged (it wouldnt happen in many countries), whats disturbing is that there are police who would behave like this. There was a case few yers back when a policeman attacked a Filipinio pedestrian who had steppd in front of his car with a sword !

The police was jailed, but its disturbing that there are people like that out there !
BlackburnRovers
Dubai Expat Helper

Sep 02, 2009
That much power in the hands of a 19 and 20 yr old?
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

hi Sep 03, 2009
Hello all....

hit me back....

i m new here...

want play game sometimes...

hope
monalisa.edu
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Sep 04, 2009
How horrifying police power is that..
WolverineCSPDAI
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Sep 04, 2009
these are policeboys not policemen
dee7o
Dubai forums Addict

Sep 05, 2009
jocoolguy wrote:simply supper.........

enjoy your supper did you?
dee7o
Dubai forums Addict

Sep 05, 2009
I think the more important part for me is that they system was able to uncover the operation and take action. Hats off to Dubai police
DPS
Dubai Forums Frequenter

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat