Time Magazine: Exercise Won’t Make You Lose Weight!

Topic locked
Time Magazine: Exercise won’t make you lose weight! Aug 14, 2009
A very interesting article by Time magazine.

Basically it says, although it’s good for you, exercise will not make you lose weight. What you eat is really what counts!!!

Yes, they agree that exercise burns calories, but… (read the article!)

http://www.time.com/time/health/article ... 57,00.html

8) 8)

Tom Jones
Dubai Forums Veteran

Aug 15, 2009
I've lost 8 pounds since June. I work out less too. Part of it IMO is that I only do workouts I enjoy like walking and dancing. Before I was doing gym activities. I hated it but felt I had to do it. Now I'm less stressed (in the workout department). Walking, dancing, and shooting are my exercise as well as household chores.

I think I still eat the same. I've been good about cutting down the sweets but since it's summer I eat a lot of shaved ice topped with fruit for my sweet fix. In America, lots of people think I eat too little, their problem is they eat too much.

If I gain weight I eat less for the day. I do weigh myself daily because I'd like to lose 10 more pounds. I want to wear some sexy outfits. I've started showing my pretty legs. :lol: :P
puppypup
Dubai Expat Helper

Aug 15, 2009
I totally agree with TJ.

But to extend it, I still believe (well, from my personal experience I hardly gained nor lost weight more than 2 kg):

* The more important is not about what to eat, but how to eat. It is not food control (type of food), but eating control (know when to stop before full, and not much of snacks in between). As long as it's not too much, it's fine with "junk food" if it's within control, but better balance it with others (see below).

* Heavy gym/sport is like a "trap". Once you go in, you can't get out. You need to keep it for the rest of your life. To balance it, the body produces more fat to burn than when without gym/heavy sport. But once you stop (laziness or older age), the body keeps producing the fat but there's no burn out, causing the fat to pile up. Some of my friends did heavy gym to reduce the weights, but when they stop (with the same food/eating habit) their weights increased even more than before the gym. Keep the gym/sport light only.

* More veggies, fruits, fish, white meat, wheat. Less red meat. It's always a good choice.
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

Aug 15, 2009
Just gymming is absolute folly.
Fitness is a lifestyle and gymming can only be a supplement to some other physical activity like running, swimming, mountain climbing, dancing etc. One goes to the gym to build muscle to perform those activities better.

And off course the first commandment to fitness is Watch what you eat!

As XTY said, maintain a balance!
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

Aug 15, 2009
I eat red meat but I eat grass-fed beef. Also eat lamb and buffalo. Chicken, beef, and turkey are too popular in the States so that means drugged up fat animals. I do eat eggs from (hopefully) cage free happy (before their necks are cut) chickens from that farmer who tells me so each Wednesday. The eggs are yummy. I get my milk (my #1 vice) from him too.

Just had some lovely kidney beans, banana peppers, sweet potato and okra today.

Eating legumes, veggies, fruits, grains, and grass fed meat is so lovely. I so so love my ancestor diet. I try to eat like the Native-Americans before the Europeans came even though I'm still a milkaholic.
puppypup
Dubai Expat Helper

Aug 15, 2009
puppypup wrote:I eat red meat but I eat grass-fed beef. Also eat lamb and buffalo. Chicken, beef, and turkey are too popular in the States so that means drugged up fat animals. I do eat eggs from (hopefully) cage free happy (before their necks are cut) chickens from that farmer who tells me so each Wednesday. The eggs are yummy. I get my milk (my #1 vice) from him too.

Eating legumes, veggies, fruits, grains, and grass fed meat is so lovely. I so so love my ancestor diet. I try to eat like the Native-Americans before the Europeans came even though I'm still a milkaholic.

It looks to me that you eat just about anything!

But whatever you’re doing, keep it up sweetheart,… if that makes you jolly!

Hey…can’t wait to see you in your sexy dress with your pretty legs showing!

Cheers!

8) 8)
Tom Jones
Dubai Forums Veteran

Aug 15, 2009
Tom Jones wrote:
puppypup wrote:I eat red meat but I eat grass-fed beef. Also eat lamb and buffalo. Chicken, beef, and turkey are too popular in the States so that means drugged up fat animals. I do eat eggs from (hopefully) cage free happy (before their necks are cut) chickens from that farmer who tells me so each Wednesday. The eggs are yummy. I get my milk (my #1 vice) from him too.

Cheers!

8) 8)

I concur :D
RobbyG
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Aug 15, 2009
RobbyG wrote:
Tom Jones wrote:

Cheers!

8) 8)

I concur :D

me too :D
G to tha T
Dubai forums Addict

Aug 15, 2009
Well it's not really brain surgery is it, if you consume more calories than you burn off on a daily basis, then of course you're going to put on weight. However, people seem to forget that as has already been said, if you're gymming it, then you build muscle and muscle weighs MORE than fat, as it's much denser, therefore of course you're going to put on weight.

I say throw away those scales and go on body shape, feel and what you can get into.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Aug 15, 2009
Chocoholic wrote:Well it's not really brain surgery is it, if you consume more calories than you burn off on a daily basis, then of course you're going to put on weight. However, people seem to forget that as has already been said, if you're gymming it, then you build muscle and muscle weighs MORE than fat, as it's much denser, therefore of course you're going to put on weight.

I say throw away those scales and go on body shape, feel and what you can get into.

Chocs!

You seem to have missed the point of the article!

Exercise does not really makes you gain weight (due to denser muscles), but rather, it does not make you lose weight due the fact that you feel more hungry after exercise - which makes you pound down the food.

But in my opinion, I think it’s better to be overweight but fit (and healthy) rather than to be thin and out of shape (unhealthy)!

Rigorous exercise is not good either, unless you keep it up until you die. Moderate exercise, along with sensible food and a less stressful lifestyle, is the key to healthy living!

8) 8)
Tom Jones
Dubai Forums Veteran

Aug 15, 2009
Well of course you're not going to lose weight if you exercise then use that as an excuse to go and stuff your face. It's al about moderation and the types of food you eat.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Aug 15, 2009
Its kind of obvious that exercise wont make you lose your weight. In the end its all comes down to eating habits and if one wants to lose weight then its all about calorie deficit (with which exercise will help).

All you have to do is exercise and eat clean. The body shape will hence come on its own. Don't be too obsessed with what the weighing scale has to say, what you need to check is your body fat percentage and lean body mass.

And its not about doing cardio like a mad man. High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) is much better and so are calisthenics (bodyweight exercises) such as squats, push ups, lunges etc.

Like they say, abs are made in the kitchen; not in the gym! :D
redtilldead
Dubai Forums Talker

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat