This Is Why Laws Are Confusing - Hypocrisy!

Topic locked
This is why laws are confusing - hypocrisy! May 04, 2010
You see this is exactly why people get confused here. OK so a couple are jailed for a month over a kiss, yet a couple have s.e.x get let off and the police officer done.

You can bet your bottom dollar if it had been a Western couple, it would have been go directly to jail, appeal upheld etc etc etc.

http://www.7days.ae/storydetails.php?id=93765&title=A tint of luck for frisky pair

A newly-wed couple who had sex in the back of their car have been cleared of indecency charges after a court decided a policeman who peered through their blacked-out windows had breached their privacy.

The 28-year-old Pakistani man and his 24-year-old wife had faced a month in prison and deportation after being convicted of public indecency by the misdemeanors court.

But the verdict has been overturned by the court of appeal.

The couple got frisky last May in their Honda Accord parked on The Walk at Jumeirah Beach Residence.

The car had tinted windows and a sunscreen had been pulled across the windshield.

A passing police officer became suspicious as he noticed the engine was running.

The officer could not see what was happening inside because of the darkened windows, so he pressed his face against the glass to get a better look. It was then that he saw the couple inside.

“I knocked and the man put on his shirt and rolled down the window.

The woman was half naked,” the officer said in his statement.

Appeal is upheld
The couple were found guilty, but they appealed. Their lawyer, Majid Al Kabban, told the appeal court the policeman had invaded the couple's privacy by looking through the window.

“They were inside a private car and the witness invaded their privacy by staring inside,” he said. “No policeman can enter a house without a warrant and a car is also private property.

“The officer said it was hard to see what was going on inside, so they were not committing an indecent act in public as nobody could see.” He added: “They were inside their car, which is the same as if they were inside their home, and it’s illegal to stare at someone in their home because it's a breach of privacy and human rights.”

The couple had wed in Pakistan four months before the incident.

Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Re: This is why laws are confusing - hypocrisy! May 04, 2010
ok the laws are not confusing its only because some people are confused individuals that they find the world a confused placed altogether 8)

ok the guys on the beach were doing it like two gorillas out there in the wild for everyone to see
The guys on the beach were not MARRIED therefore s.ex outside of wedlock is punishable.

these guys were doing it in the "privacy" of their car i.e black tints and even front screen covered so that NO1 could see whats going on. So they were doing it but they werent showing or were in danger of showing anything to the general public.

These guys were MARRIED.

got to feel sorry for the cop because he was just doing his job. If these guys werent married, he would have been a hero but in this case he isnt and I feel he shouldnt have been punished because he was just doing his job and he didnt know that the couple were married.
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

er first off, if the police officer could not see into the car, then their tint is well over the legal 30% allowed - fine!

S.e.x in a public place - fine, jail, deportation.

Seems clear to me!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

yes the tint is probably well over 30% maybe 50% or even 100% but we dont know maybe the person got fined or maybe he got away with it because he had permission to go over 30%. Do you think 7days will report whether the guy had to pay a fine for tints or not!! lol these guys have to sell stories and papers so I dont think they are going to report on small details like whether he got fined for the overlimit tint windows :D

yep S.EX in PUBLIC area gets you in trouble. But is your car a PUBLIC area? Is it a public property like a park or like a beach for everyone to use? Hmmm if you are working for the baladiya then yes possibly but I guess otherwise its not.

A car is just like when you are at home with your family, bf, gf whatever. You can do whatever you like in your home and no1 will stop you.

got it?
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Also to add, that kind of behaviour from 'married' couples or not, is NOT acceptable ANYWHERE!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

True it s not acceptable anywhere, but people do it anyways, the difference is that around my place here in Miami, nobody could care less, at worst you would get a ticket for indecent exposure, married or not, and this would never even make it to the local news. In Dubai those medievalistic punishments get completely out of proportion and inevitably get worldwide attention also because of the double standards.
herve
Dubai Forums Veteran

Did have to laugh at this today also:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/ne ... z0mw9pQTzi

Kiss your tourism industry goodbye Dubai!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Thanks Choc.
At last people start realizing that Dubai is a F@*#ed up place not worth the trip. Give it a little time, and Dubai will lose 90% of its western population, it is inevitable. Forget the tourism, it is already over.
herve
Dubai Forums Veteran

herve wrote:Thanks Choc.
At last people start realizing that Dubai is a F@*#ed up place not worth the trip. Give it a little time, and Dubai will lose 90% of its western population, it is inevitable. Forget the tourism, it is already over.

Of course, the world is a small place, there are so many other amazing cities and countries to visit that have far more to offer and at a fraction of the cost.

To play devil's advocate I actually see this as an encouragement by the British government to make people avoid coming here.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

i didnt know this was for the dubais chev or chav as shaf puts it :D

enjoy the tea and the buscuits

and oh queen chocohlophsicus do ask herve the queer bloke what did he hide in his burka :D

-- Tue May 04, 2010 10:51 am --

lol wait a minute chocs why are you in dubai???
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

rudeboy wrote:i didnt know this was for the dubais chev or chav as shaf puts it :D

enjoy the tea and the buscuits

and oh queen chocohlophsicus do ask herve the queer bloke what did he hide in his burka :D

-- Tue May 04, 2010 10:51 am --

lol wait a minute chocs why are you in dubai???

If you actually bothered to open the link, you'll see it's quoted from the Briish Embassy homepage in the UAE and also on many other embassy sites.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Someone needs to get off their the soap box:

Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

It's about imparting information and having an opinion. Nothing to contribute? Then don't bother. I just think this is another nail in the coffin for Dubai, general comments by readers of the papers would also indicate that.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Bora Bora wrote:Someone needs to get off their the soap box:

so glad to see nowt has changed,the little sniper is still about :roll:
busa
Dubai forums Addict

busa wrote:

You weren't missed. Hopefully this is a one off appearance by you. You really should get current before commenting.

-- Tue May 04, 2010 3:48 pm --

Chocoholic wrote:It's about imparting information and having an opinion. Nothing to contribute? Then don't bother. I just think this is another nail in the coffin for Dubai, general comments by readers of the papers would also indicate that.

Chocs, IF ONLY people were allowed to have an opinion different from yours without you basically telling them how wrong they are, it would make for a better discussion. You WANT people to see your view of things, yet you can't even explore other peoples views. You constantly repeating yourself gets tiring.

If people want to freely do drugs, drink and drive, have sex in the park, on the beach, or wherever, then by all means they should stay in the UK and not come to Dubai. That goes for everyone in any country where that behavior is acceptable or part of one's lifestyle. It doesn't take a genius to figure that one out. It appears that the UK has to advise it's citizens because they seem to be the ones who generally make the headlines for such behavior in Dubai.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Busa, mate! Where ya been? Long time, stick around some hey?
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

busa wrote:

The little sniper is a real slanderer too.

One can’t help but come to judgmental conclusions:

Chocophobia: young, brash, arrogant, probably good looking which falls back to her attitude problem and men in the gulf putting her on a pedestal unnecessarily

Bora-bash: in her early 40s, was definitely struck by chocophobia during their usual sword fight when called a bored housewife who should be on expatwoman. She probably is upper middle class with her husband grossing around 40k Dirhams a month and has a socially upward-mobile air and loads of tempestuousness about her that allows her access to higher echelons of social circles and the crème de la crème of kitty party gossips.

Having said that it’s a fact these two women can’t get along. However, Bora’s dilapidated comments on chocophobia and her alleged infinite male contact and perhaps bora’s lack of it, really was uncalled for.
While in the past, Bora’s sarcasm was entertaining it now border-lines putrid hatred and I fear a very vindictive beast lies behind the screen name. Choc’s is no angel either and I have never been a fan of cockney women who think they got off a cover of vogue Paris edition.
Snipe away because that’s expected from you….
godsent
Dubai Forums Talker

Welcome back Busa! Crank it up to 14K and get yer knee down!

So: A western expat couple get a month in jail (not nice) and deported (after jail, very nice!) for an unconfirmed peck on the cheek witnessed only by a 2 year old kid who's mother never showed up in court because she knew she would get ripped to bits by the defense lawyer.

A Pakistani couple get off for having it off in the back of a blacked out car because the copper stared in at them...

I think we all can agree there is a little imbalance in the legal process there?

However lets cast our minds back a few years to the married Lebanese couple who were caught having waay heey in their car in an unlit sand car park at night on Sheikh Zayed Road on the day after their wedding. Prison and deportation.

If the police cannot enter your home without a warrant, then how do they get away with barging into your home in Jumeirah to check if there are unmarried couples living in the same house? Don't believe it happens? It happened the day before yesterday to a group of friends of mine. Sitting there on a saturday afternoon and suddenly the place is full of Feds and Dubai Municipality dudes inspecting whose clothes are in the wardrobes, who owns what, what relationship everyone is to everyone else. It ended up with the girls being given marching orders and told to find somewhere else to live. No warrant.

The law here has complete double standards. The person bringing a complaint is invariably innocent, the one to whom it is directed automatically guilty. It is judged by who you are and where you come from.

Bora: How would you feel if your privacy was invaded by the police and everything you owned including your underwear drawer closely inspected simply because the guy next door doesn't like that you slam the villa gate too loud? All he has to do is say he thinks there are unmarried couples living there and you will get a visit. Or are you that innocent?

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Knight
Dubai Knight
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

DK, neither innocent nor naive am I.

Forget about double standards here. Standards, that is law, has way too many sides. I am fully aware of the "impossible" or the "unheard of" happening here. Unfortunately there are people here who do very mean things, without reason or provocation - to other people. You get those that are holier than thou who think they must act to correct what they perceive as a wrong.

There is much I don't agree with in the way of laws and how they are enforced, but why let these issues get so under a persons skin that they are seemingly consumed by them. I have learned that if there is something I don't like or agree with and I have no control in changing it, I'm not going to let it get to me. I'm not going to get fired up on what I think is a wrong and there is nothing I can do about it. I am not going to harp about it. If I can remove myself from it I do. If I can't I live with it the best way I know how.

Obviously someone directed the police to your friend's house. Maybe someone did something that is so insignificant it wouldn't register with most people, but it did with someone. Totally wrong, but the fact is, it happens. And let me add, I know what it is like (more than once) to be on the wrong side and find yourself caught up in an ugly situation, which we will never forget, that was not of our doing. I am also not that naive to believe that it couldn't happen again. It's not about being in the wrong place, at the wrong time. Its about being in a place, at a time, with the wrong person.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Counldn't agree more with chocoholic, its completely biased and unfair and as for the couple getting it on in their car, please! have a bit of class :oops:
flutterbye
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

flutterbye wrote:Counldn't agree more with chocoholic, its completely biased and unfair and as for the couple getting it on in their car, please! have a bit of class :oops:

You're prolly jealous cause you aint getting any :mrgreen:
KeithL
Dubai Forums Veteran

KeithL wrote:
flutterbye wrote:Counldn't agree more with chocoholic, its completely biased and unfair and as for the couple getting it on in their car, please! have a bit of class :oops:

You're prolly jealous cause you aint getting any :mrgreen:

I get plenty keithl but it has to be in a BMW at the least not a honda accord! :roll: :lol:
flutterbye
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Chocoholic wrote:

Of course, the world is a small place, there are so many other amazing cities and countries to visit that have far more to offer and at a fraction of the cost.

To play devil's advocate I actually see this as an encouragement by the British government to make people avoid coming here.

Indeed, this is the final deadblow for Dubai tourism for the young.

Pack your bags and leave the place for a more tolerant place fooks. Life is greener at the other side :lol: :wink:
RobbyG

And the walls all come crashing down lol

godsent, fyi I'm not from London - hate the place - ta very much!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Chocoholic wrote:And the walls all come crashing down lol

Deira as example:
RobbyG

RobbyG wrote:
Chocoholic wrote:

Indeed, this is the final deadblow for Dubai tourism for the young.

Pack your bags and leave the place for a more tolerant place fooks. Life is greener at the other side :lol: :wink:

Rob I suggest you stick to giving us your insights on conspiracy theories of the financial, commodity , property and investment fields. In reciprocation, we pray you land that maintenance crew job with KLM. Ain't that right wingman Rob :lol: :lol: :lol:

Clearly being in touch with the real world is beyond you.

This is far from a deathblow for Dubai Tourism. You factor out the passive Indian and sub continent tourists who never get into trouble and come by the droves. Though their disposable income is not as great as Europeans they make up by the sheer numbers. Besides there are loads of rich Indians in Dubai. Like I said drive around the Villas during Diwali (their light festival) and see the amount of villas lighted up with decorative lights. Heck, gulfnews becomes a bloody bollywood magazine advert cutout.

Next, factor in the GCC population of Saudis etc who come to Dubai and spend loads of money. Though they may not be as many as the Indians their spending power is much higher.

Oh before I forget the Iranians, Lebanese are big time visitors too.

Sure a few disgruntled hippies like you will be discouraged from visiting.

But the senior citizens from Europe, the two Americas, who have pledged to visit Asia are lured to DXB as the biggest transit hub for connection flights. And yes Dubai tourism is all about two day - three day package deals of exotic belly dance shows in Deserts, 7 star hotels, Emirati Glitterati. You did bet 40% of them sign up for some silly package or the other en route.

People under estimate the REAL ECONOMY of this city which is TRADE TRADE TRADE and thus Dubai will never be a ghost town though broke in the Financial markets. There are many facets to an economy

Since you bumming around Robby and are on a budget per say why don't you do 2 days in Dubai and go chill in the Himalayas and Nepal for 3 months or so :lol: Correct your flight will stopover at DXB

Interesting fact, go figure why a flight from DXB - Mumbai return is 1500 dirhams where as, at times you can get a DXB - NYC return for 2500 dirhams. There's a demand for the DXB-India sector and Emirates certainly r*pes it.
godsent
Dubai Forums Talker

Dubai to New York return for AED 2,500? On Emirates??? What do you do, put a handle on your head and go as luggage? :lol:

Or do you mean USD 2,500, which is more realistic.

-- Tue May 04, 2010 10:23 pm --

godsent wrote:
busa wrote:

The little sniper is a real slanderer too.

One can’t help but come to judgmental conclusions:

Chocophobia: young, brash, arrogant, probably good looking which falls back to her attitude problem and men in the gulf putting her on a pedestal unnecessarily

Bora-bash: in her early 40s, was definitely struck by chocophobia during their usual sword fight when called a bored housewife who should be on expatwoman. She probably is upper middle class with her husband grossing around 40k Dirhams a month and has a socially upward-mobile air and loads of tempestuousness about her that allows her access to higher echelons of social circles and the crème de la crème of kitty party gossips.

Having said that it’s a fact these two women can’t get along. However, Bora’s dilapidated comments on chocophobia and her alleged infinite male contact and perhaps bora’s lack of it, really was uncalled for.
While in the past, Bora’s sarcasm was entertaining it now border-lines putrid hatred and I fear a very vindictive beast lies behind the screen name. Choc’s is no angel either and I have never been a fan of cockney women who think they got off a cover of vogue Paris edition.
Snipe away because that’s expected from you….

And you are.................???? Do you really think that either of us really care what you think?
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Re: This Is Why Laws Are Confusing - Hypocrisy! May 04, 2010
I didn't know I hurt your god-sent pro Dubai soul mate. :lol:

As if we care. ;)
RobbyG

RobbyG wrote:I didn't know I hurt your god-sent pro Dubai soul mate. :lol:

As if we care. ;)

Rob, he has alot to say, very critical, for someone who actually doesn't know any of us. I think he takes himself serious; that makes one person who does. :lol:
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

True, I think his profession is burgerflopper at Dubai-Mart. Without tourists he'd be flippin' mudpies again. :D :lol: :D
RobbyG

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat