The Last Question!

Topic locked
The Last Question! Jun 17, 2011
BM has had a couple of glasses of wine tonight and is in a reflective mood :drunken:

Alcohol does not depress me at all but I've been talking to a friend tonight about a lucky escape. It got me thinking. :idea:

If you had forewarning that you were going to die, and you were guaranteed to be told the truth, what question would you ask? And who would you ask it of?

I think I'd ask my ex husband if I was worth it.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Bethsmum
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: The Last Question! Jun 17, 2011
how do i look?
general_A
Dubai forums Addict

fugly !
viking-warrior
Dubai Expat Helper

BM, thats a very profound one. Where do you get your Chardonnay from?
Well, I have always had questions inside my head ever since self-awareness dawned. The questions were many, but its only since recent times that it has become more and more crystallized, and I have begun to realize that it has all been just one and the same question really, taking on many forms. And the question is..........
Why??
Why am I here?
I dont know if I can even take the truthful honest answer and survive.
What if a deep voice from the sky were to say to me:" You are here because we needed certain E.coli strains in the spring of 2011 bla bla bla!" Wouldnt that deflate my ego rather rapidly and with a loud noise? I wonder how many of us would still like to know this kind of truth just before the curtain fell.
Or would we rather like to continue with our make believe worlds that we have created round ourselves: "I am a General. I can kill and maim so many. They fear me. I am great."
Why is the world here? Why The Universe? Why does it touch us so profoundly, when science is proving to us that nothing really exists; its all just whirling masses of energy, that are destined to ultimately dissolve into nothingness?
The Universe is almost 14 billion years old; a human life extends to about 82 years. How significant is that on a Cosmic scale? How many people that we knew intimately have just vanished as if they never existed? Leslie Poles Hartley said : " The past is a foreign country; they do things differently there".
I think I have made confusion worse confounded, and still not answered your question.
How about if I just asked :"How did I do?" Depending on who I asked, the answers should be interesting! :D
zonker
BANNED

How about if I just asked :"How did I do?" Depending on who I asked, the answers should be interesting

Yes indeed Zonker!

You had BM's head spinning with that lot! Or was it last night's Chardonnay?

I think if I was with you, Zonker, and my time was up, I'd ask if I could have a pint of what ever it was that you were drinking. :drunken:

-- Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:13 am --

general_A wrote:how do i look?

Wonderful tonight general!
Bethsmum

zonker wrote:Why am I here?

Nobody can answer that question for you, only you yourself can answer that.
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

Well I thought we were answered that question precisely..Those who sincerly want to find the answer will do so... At the end of the day none of us atheist really, just some of us Apatheist...
Berrin
Dubai Forums Veteran

Right now, I really want to ask the guy waiting for the elevator 10 minutes ago, whether he really thinks, pushing to elevator button 10 times, makes it come quicker.
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

well at least he knows that this elavator does exist, and that all the people in building knows about it and makes use of such existance..It just that he probobly doesn't look at the signs or the instructions of the elevator that is arranged for his use!
Who is silly the guy or the elevator?
Berrin
Dubai Forums Veteran

This is supposed to be a personal sort of thing but since you asked. and you did mention to be told the truth who ever you shall ask.

I would ask the biggest question of the century "who is really behind it, the mastermind".

I am sure you have guess what I mean ;-)
FusionO
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Re: The Last Question! Jun 18, 2011
Flying Dutchman wrote:
zonker wrote:Why am I here?

Standing in front of an elevator, if I were to ask Why am I here? then I would say, yes, FD, I agree, nobody can answer that question but me :lol:
BTW, that man pushing that elevator button 10 times is nothing. You will be appalled at some of the things that go on in elevators! :P
Peace :albino:
zonker
BANNED

My last question wouldn't be what goes on in elavators Zonker, but I'd still like to know and I'd like to know how you know too!

So many questions, so little time!

Anyways, Beth had a maths exam yesterday and came home with a question. Hopefully it won't be her last one.
Her question to me was, 'what does 'a' equal?'
I replied 'I need more information'
What?
I need more information.
What information? I just asked what does 'a' equal. it was a question in my exam.
Yes, but you would have been given the answer, you just need to work it out.
Eh?
:cry: :cry:
Bethsmum

BM, I am afraid that you've got me there! I have no great personal experience of what goes on in elevators. I just consider them as a means of transport. Let's say, I have seen it in the movies!! :lol:
And once those doors slide shut, who knows? The possibilities are always there! :wink:

Beth has my sympathies with her first encounter with maths and 'a'! Wait till she gets to 'b'; then she is going to ask you what is a+b=? I dont remember a thing when I look back, and cant for the life of me figure out why I had to go through this life and death struggle.
Though I must admit once I got the knack of it I was quite good at it! 8)
zonker
BANNED

Zonker! That's the second time this week I've read on this forum that they don't/didn't know, they just saw it at the movies LOL Hollywood has a lot to answer for. Silly Old Shafique claims only to know a dodgy expression as he heard it on a movie and now I read that you have only heard about dodgy goings on in a lift from there too. :shock:
All I can saw is they had better be quick, especially in the Burj Al Arab as those elevators are damn fast!

I've thought about the answer I gave Beth to her maths question and I think I've answered the question about 'why am I here?'

you would have been given the answer, you just need to work it out.
Bethsmum

Bethsmum wrote:Zonker! That's the second time this week I've read on this forum that they don't/didn't know, they just saw it at the movies LOL Hollywood has a lot to answer for.................................
I've thought about the answer I gave Beth to her maths question and I think I've answered the question about 'why am I here?'

you would have been given the answer, you just need to work it out.

BM, you might remember a TV serial and later a Hollywood movie called the X Files. I loved to hate it! But the main character in it would, at some stage, turn his face heaven wards and say "The truth is out there...."
And well it might be. However, consider this: A know-all friend recently explained the process of "seeing" to me.
We see things because of LIGHT, which is formed of electro-magnetic particles called photons. There is even a controversy whether these are particles or waves in scientific circles! Many people now say they are both!! The photons bounce off things and enter the eye, to strike the retina at the back of the eyeball. This sets off a series of electrical impulses in the Optic Nerve that is attached to the back of the retina. This electrical signal finally reaches an area of the brain at the back of the skull called the Occipital lobe, where the visual centre is located. And it is here in the Visual Centre that the brain interprets these signals for you, and the sense or concept of the object being observed by you is produced. The visual centre is deeply placed in the skull, where it stays, hopefully, throughout our lifetime, and has never seen the "outside" world! And yet it "interprets" all that we see! However, the eye is attuned to pick up signals of a certain frequency in visible light, and that is called the Visible Spectrum. There are hundreds, if not thousands, of electromagnetic waves that are beyond the capacity of the eye because they are of a different frequency, and so we are totally unaware of them. And this is the situation with all the five senses. WE HUMANS HAVE BEEN DESIGNED TO SEE/FEEL ONLY AN INFINITESIMALLY SMALL PORTION OF REALITY!
As such, do you think even if I were to be given the Ultimate Answer, the Whole Truth, that I would understand it?? Highly unlikely!
Now, I warn you, if you push me more I'll come up with more of the same!! Gibberish! :lol:
zonker
BANNED

Hell's bells Zonker :drunken: That's all a bit much for a simpleton like BM.

Someone pour me a drink :drunken:
Bethsmum

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat