Topic locked

should proper road rules and policing be implemented in the UAE

yes
82%
NO - i love driving like a maniac
18%

Total votes : 11

the sport that is - tailgating.. Feb 19, 2008
i dont understand how the cops are not hanging tailgaters by thier testicles...

my last visit to dubai, i witnessed 2 fatal accidents due to a tailgater

i havent witnessed another this time, but i have seen some very very close calls...

why are there practically no reaction from the police - despite their presence?

speed isnt the issue, people go at astronomical speeds in germany, and its no where near as bad.. but combine speed with arab driving = biting the dust and ending up in coffins.....

surely something could be done.

ebonics
Dubai Expat Helper

Feb 19, 2008
Yeah, I reluctantly have to say Germans are probably the best drivers. What really gets me angry (and that rarely happens) is when I have kids on the backseat and a SUV is staying 1 meter behind me. :evil: :evil: :evil:
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

Feb 19, 2008
Also..when you do the same thing (tailgate) to the locals all hell breaks loose. They treat the roads as real time video games.... :evil:
reviewer
Dubai Forums Veteran

Feb 19, 2008
i got told that the police here does respond when a great deal of expats mostly of european, and american background lodge a proper formal complaint...

any truth in this?
ebonics
Dubai Expat Helper

Feb 19, 2008
It's a bit of a bloody joke, considering I was tail gated by a complete nutter the other week and when he pulled into the petrol station and I went to go and give him what for, guess what - a copper!!! I still let rip though! And the moron had the audacity to say it was my fault er hello, I was in an overtaking manouver and he should have given me space. I wanted to smack him one, should have reported him for insulting a civilian as they can get into real trouble for that.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Feb 20, 2008
Chocoholic wrote:It's a bit of a bloody joke, considering I was tail gated by a complete nutter the other week and when he pulled into the petrol station and I went to go and give him what for, guess what - a copper!!! I still let rip though! And the moron had the audacity to say it was my fault er hello, I was in an overtaking manouver and he should have given me space. I wanted to smack him one, should have reported him for insulting a civilian as they can get into real trouble for that.

Yes indeed, you should have reported him!
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Feb 20, 2008
I think the problem isn't just with tailgating, it's generally stubborn drivers. And that goes for both sides. For example, I find the drivers who decide to drive dangerously slow on the fast lane far more annoying than tailgaters. And they simply won't move for you, which causes the people behind you to get pissed and so on, then you get a bunch of pissed off drivers overtaking from the right lane cause some jackass thinks he owns the road.
MC
Dubai forums Addict

Feb 20, 2008
If its unsafe for me to pull away from a tail gater I will often slow down and put my hazard lights on just to piss them off. :D
scarlet
Dubai Forums Veteran

Feb 20, 2008
scarlet wrote:If its unsafe for me to pull away from a tail gater I will often slow down and put my hazard lights on just to piss them off. :D

I was so close to slamming my breaks once cause I wanted the guy tailgating behind to hit me :P Good thing I kept my cool. Don't worry, it wouldn't have been that bad as there wasn't anyone behind us and we weren't going all that fast :) Driving in this country can make someone go crazy!
MC
Dubai forums Addict

Feb 20, 2008
Oh the way some people are just drives you crackers, one nut job in a 4x4 was so impatient to get round my other half a few months ago that he wormed his way round, through loads of traffic and was driving like a banana, and when my other half gestured 'what hell are you doing?' - nothing rude mind you, the loser slammed his car in reverse and rammed him - did 6,000 dhs worth of damage to the car. Luckily it was all caught on mobile video and there were witnesses so the guy got done and had to pay.

WHat the hell is in the minds of these people?! They're dangerous!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Feb 20, 2008
a local told me there was a law passed from the sheikh to do something about speeding and the whole hi-beam flash thing in abu dhabi - due to excessive complaints coming in...

i knew its nearly a matter of time
ebonics
Dubai Expat Helper

Feb 20, 2008
Flying Dutchman wrote:Yeah, I reluctantly have to say Germans are probably the best drivers. What really gets me angry (and that rarely happens) is when I have kids on the backseat and a SUV is staying 1 meter behind me. :evil: :evil: :evil:

I second that
gezza
Dubai Expat Helper

Feb 21, 2008
Chocoholic wrote:It's a bit of a bloody joke, considering I was tail gated by a complete nutter the other week and when he pulled into the petrol station and I went to go and give him what for, guess what - a copper!!! I still let rip though! And the moron had the audacity to say it was my fault er hello, I was in an overtaking manouver and he should have given me space. I wanted to smack him one, should have reported him for insulting a civilian as they can get into real trouble for that.

mmm..sorry to interupt, over taking u say? Then it is ur mistake by law. May not sound right, but..BY LAW...anyone over taking...the other driver as the right NOT TO GIVE WAY...it is his lane...not yours...so it would be your responsibility to make sure the road is COMPLETLY clear of any other cars, before u over take :wink:
guest999

Feb 21, 2008
What the heck are you on about, er no! I was in the outside line overtaking a slower vehicle in the right hand lane, overtaking is always a risky one at anytime. Considering this fact, the tail gater should have given me space and time to finish the manouver, instead of putting pressure on me, and I was also by the way doing over the speed limit.

NS, you're talking utter tosh. Also by default your statement makes no sense, as if there are no cars in the other lane, there would be nothing to overtake in the first place, so why would I be in the outer lane if the inner lane is clear?

Pffff
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Feb 24, 2008
It is dangerous to try and change lanes if you are being tailgated as the type of driver who does that could just as easily try and swing lanes at the same time or try and accelerate past you before you have changed lanes. And being tailgated is stressful and drivers are more likely to make a mistake when they are stressed. Usually the best course of action is to stay in the same lane, on the same trajectory, maintaining the same speed or decelerating slightly until the tailgater moves away. Ignore the hooting and light flashing it can’t kill you. Keep your eyes on what’s going on in front and don’t be distracted by what’s behind you.
BigO
Dubai Forums Member

Feb 24, 2008
Chocolic you sound like one of those English girls who thinks she is someone important maybe because your daddy or have special Emirati friend. I don't think you would really tell off police, your more likely to give them your phone number.
Sheikhmo
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Feb 25, 2008
Er actually I did! And I didn't know he was a police officer until he opened his car door as he was driving his private car.

Shut the hell up! I don't care who you are! If you're driving like an idiot and endangering people you'll get a mouthful from me, no matter who you are!

I bet you're one of thoe sad losers who think you own the roads and drive like a maniac, with no regard for anyone or anything!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Feb 26, 2008
I wonder how many deaths it will take before these so-called NEW rules are actually enforced ? Will it take the death of a royal ?

It really stresses me here. The standard of driving is appalling. Just basic stuff would be nice.
Indicators. You know they're there. Fkg USE them !
Parking. If you cannot park your damn vehicle, you shouldn't HAVE it !
Speed. It kills. You will reach the limits of your capability ALOT sooner than your car.

Geeeeeez. NURSE !!! Where's me sedatives..............
g00se
Dubai Forums Frequenter

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat