Suicide In Police Station

Topic locked
Suicide in Police Station Jan 14, 2009
Quoting Gulf news:

39-year old reportedly committed suicide at a police station in Abu Dhabi
By Rayeesa Absal, Staff Reporter
Published: January 14, 2009, 16:14

Abu Dhabi: A 39-year-old Indian man has reportedly committed suicide by hanging himself at the Shabiya Police station on Tuesday, an Abu Dhabi Police official told Gulf News.

"The man is believed to have hanged himself to death," said the official, who requested not to be named. Officials declined to give further details on the circumstances of the death or the nature of the case.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

have personally heard about lots of guys who are harassed at auh stations. am not surprised with the turnout of this case.

michaeldubai
Dubai forums Addict

Jan 14, 2009
I'm always very suspicious when told someone has hanged himself while in police custody.
Del
Dubai Expat Helper

Jan 14, 2009
Del wrote:I'm always very suspicious when told someone has hanged himself while in police custody.

Can you elaborate on the reasons for that suspicion?

I have reason to believe that Indians feel very subordinated to Arabs, and when there freedom is take away (prospects in Arab jails are not good) he takes measures into his own hands. End the horror before it even begins.

What do you think about that?
RobbyG
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Jan 14, 2009
RobbyG wrote:
Del wrote:I'm always very suspicious when told someone has hanged himself while in police custody.

I have reason to believe that Indians feel very subordinated to Arabs, and when there freedom is take away (prospects in Arab jails are not good) he takes measures into his own hands. End the horror before it even begins.

I'm talking about in general, not about Indians in Arab jails.

Don't the authorities remove your belt etc, so this sort of thing cannot happen?
Del
Dubai Expat Helper

Jan 14, 2009
Del wrote:
RobbyG wrote:

Don't the authorities remove your belt etc, so this sort of thing cannot happen?

I'm not saying your reasoning has to be about Indians in Arab jails. That was my reasoning to you Del.

I ask you to elaborate on your thoughts saying you are suspicious.
Please tell us what's your reasoning behind that?
RobbyG

Jan 14, 2009
RobbyG wrote:
Del wrote:
RobbyG wrote:

I'm not saying your reasoning has to be about Indians in Arab jails. That was my reasoning to you Del.

I ask you to elaborate on your thoughts saying you are suspicious.
Please tell us what's your reasoning behind that?

Because you don't have the tools in jail to hang yourself with.
Del
Dubai Expat Helper

Jan 14, 2009
Well, I was expecting a story about policemen not obiding by law, or something of that nature. Might have been a firm topic story.

Unfortunately, the hanging with belts or bed sheets is one of the more common. Nothing new ain't it?
RobbyG

Jan 14, 2009
RobbyG wrote:Well, I was expecting a story about policemen not obiding by law, or something of that nature.

That's what I was alluding to.
Del
Dubai Expat Helper

Re: Suicide in Police Station Jan 14, 2009
michaeldubai wrote:Quoting Gulf news:

Abu Dhabi: A 39-year-old Indian man has reportedly committed suicide by hanging himself at the Shabiya Police station on Tuesday, an Abu Dhabi Police official told Gulf News.

"The man is believed to have hanged himself to death," said the official, who requested not to be named. Officials declined to give further details on the circumstances of the death or the nature of the case.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

have personally heard about lots of guys who are harassed at auh stations. am not surprised with the turnout of this case.

com'aaan man , harassed to suicide ? lol .. it's not guantanamo prison .. but it happens a lot out of depression and lost of hope, some do it when under drugs .. beside there are human rights offices in those stations and the embassy always takes parts in such incidents.
uaekid
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Re: Suicide in Police Station Jan 15, 2009
uaekid wrote:

com'aaan man , harassed to suicide ? lol .. it's not guantanamo prison .. but it happens a lot out of depression and lost of hope, some do it when under drugs .. beside there are human rights offices in those stations and the embassy always takes parts in such incidents.

It seems you are mistaking Abu Dhabi for London.
Pankaj
Dubai Forums Member

Jan 15, 2009
Del wrote:
RobbyG wrote:

no they don't sir, you said this happened in alshabea police station , those are temporaries jails cells until you go to court and when convicted they drag your ass to a major prison then all your stuff are taken including your cloths. this is known world wide.

but again I could be wrong and he did it out of bad treatment, who knows ?
uaekid

Jan 15, 2009
Pankaj wrote:
uaekid wrote:

It seems you are mistaking Abu Dhabi for London.

Well, you wont find a 5 stars treatment in either one :)... why don't you share your experience with us, we might learn something LOL
uaekid

Man hanged himself in jail.... Jan 15, 2009
I think we all r not even concerned abt tht report....We r missing, its not just tht have to post sm thing...or to pull sm one's leg...
heres the main point is tht if any one gets himself hang in the costudy of the authorities then ...wht this proves????

Its the failure of the system....

Law enforcement agencies just forgets tht there is a difference in a criminal and a suspect...they treat them all equally,, and u dont know wht the detainee is goin through...

So there shud be a trainin of proper emotional and physical handlin of detainees, especially in law enforcing agencies.
daisy
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Re: Man hanged himself in jail.... Jan 15, 2009
daisy wrote:I think we all r not even concerned abt tht report....We r missing, its not just tht have to post sm thing...or to pull sm one's leg...
heres the main point is tht if any one gets himself hang in the costudy of the authorities then ...wht this proves????

Law enforcement agencies just forgets tht there is a difference in a criminal and a suspect...they treat them all equally,, and u dont know wht the detainee is goin through...

So there shud be a trainin of proper emotional and physical handlin of detainees, especially in law enforcing agencies.

Daisy, dont we all wish so? Just today gulf news carried an article on how a Saudi Guantanamo Bay detainees was kept in isolation, deprived of sleep, kept naked and under very cold conditions.

For someone to commit suicide at a police station - must have been a very frustrating experience for him. I dont think the details will ever come out.
michaeldubai
Dubai forums Addict

Jan 15, 2009
daisy wrote:I think we all r not even concerned abt tht report....We r missing, its not just tht have to post sm thing...or to pull sm one's leg...

agree... but in overall prisons staff world wide are a bit agrassive due to their work nature and the ppl they handel, so how good will they be even with this type of traning ?
uaekid

Jan 15, 2009

[/quote]

If you are in prison, then you are there because you have broken the Laws and therefore committed a CRIME.

Bloody PC people, you want shooting :evil:
yorky500
Dubai forums GURU

Jan 15, 2009
yorky500 wrote:
If you are in prison, then you are there because you have broken the Laws and therefore committed a CRIME.

dont agree. there are enough and more people who get locked up who are innocent. There are many places in the world where you can get locked up just because some big shot does not like your face. Well thats just the way the world is nowadays.

maybe for experience sake you should be involved in a minor tiff for no fault of yours with a big shot on a day when you are minding your own business. - then see how things take an ugly turn if you choose to stick to the fact that you were on the right. Trust me when I say (and many will vouch for this), your only way out to accept it as your own mistake and aplogize/give in. Any other smart type reply and you're out for good!

Why not be more specific and name the Countries you are refering to.
michaeldubai
Dubai forums Addict

Jan 15, 2009
michaeldubai wrote:
yorky500 wrote:

dont agree. there are enough and more people who get locked up who are innocent. There are many places in the world where you can get locked up just because some big shot does not like your face. Well thats just the way the world is nowadays.

maybe for experience sake you should be involved in a minor tiff for no fault of yours with a big shot on a day when you are minding your own business. - then see how things take an ugly turn if you choose to stick to the fact that you were on the right. Trust me when I say (and many will vouch for this), your only way out to accept it as your own mistake and aplogize/give in. Any other smart type reply and you're out for good!

sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Jan 15, 2009
You know something, prisons are never rehabilitation places, rather they make people who stay there more prune to criminal acts when they get out.

I do not believe in prison system personally, there should not be a prison in the first place.

Kind Regards
dubai1970
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Jan 16, 2009
The guy topped himself in a police station holding cell, not in prison.

When you are slung in there, the facilities are less than ideal. Ovecrowded, single hole in the floor toilet, sink. You get 4 breaks a day in a communal area for either food (no spoons are provided and its rice and something in a foil container and a cup of tea)or a cigarette break. Cigarettes are handed out individually and only one person gets a light from a guard. Everyone else lights theirs from that.

The cells are often stacked with bunk beds, 2 people per bunk taking shifts to sleep, and other bodies sleeping on the floor. The lights are bright but dimmed at night.

There is little chance for abuse from the police themselves as they never enter the holding cell, but guard it from outside.

If they guy was suffering from depression or had been arrested for something that would bring shame, it is perfectly possible that he would be suicidal, however I find it hard to see how it could be done. They take belt, shoelaces and all posessions away on check-in. There are no bedsheets, just foam mattresses and blankets.

With the overcrowding, someone could not fail to see what he was attempting and I am sure they would have tried to stop him.

It doesn't add up.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Knight
Dubai Knight

Jan 16, 2009
Dubai Knight wrote:The guy topped himself in a police station holding cell, not in prison.

When you are slung in there, the facilities are less than ideal. Ovecrowded, single hole in the floor toilet, sink. You get 4 breaks a day in a communal area for either food (no spoons are provided and its rice and something in a foil container and a cup of tea)or a cigarette break. Cigarettes are handed out individually and only one person gets a light from a guard. Everyone else lights theirs from that.

The cells are often stacked with bunk beds, 2 people per bunk taking shifts to sleep, and other bodies sleeping on the floor. The lights are bright but dimmed at night.

There is little chance for abuse from the police themselves as they never enter the holding cell, but guard it from outside.

If they guy was suffering from depression or had been arrested for something that would bring shame, it is perfectly possible that he would be suicidal, however I find it hard to see how it could be done. They take belt, shoelaces and all posessions away on check-in. There are no bedsheets, just foam mattresses and blankets.

With the overcrowding, someone could not fail to see what he was attempting and I am sure they would have tried to stop him.

It doesn't add up.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Knight

According to an acquintance that I directly spoke to, his teenage cousin brother is in an Abu Dhabi jail/prison for theft. The kid really did steal, but he was apparently also tortured with electric shocks to give up his non-existent accomplices. So the kid just gave up the names of three random friends who had nothing to do with it, who were arrested. The case continues.

So I've heard, directly.
Pankaj
Dubai Forums Member

Jan 16, 2009
Yes they do torture you in the police station.

I have been in & out couple of times.

They make you sit on the floor, which will be terribly cold, put the ac on 15 C and make you wait long hours,unless if no one bails you out.

If you have committed a crime, moderate enough for you to spend some time behind the bars, to make you confess, they close you in a dark room with AC, freezing you to death. They let you out after long hours. And they flash bright light on you until you go crazy !

If caught by the CID while or for committing a crime, get ready to get some punches/slaps :D

Gone are the old days, they used to give you good food and chicken biryaani on fridays.. all they have now is a break and an egg !
ahamed
Dubai chat master

Jan 17, 2009
ahamed wrote:Yes they do torture you in the police station.

They make you sit on the floor, which will be terribly cold, put the ac on 15 C and make you wait long hours,unless if no one bails you out.

If you have committed a crime, moderate enough for you to spend some time behind the bars, to make you confess, they close you in a dark room with AC, freezing you to death. They let you out after long hours. And they flash bright light on you until you go crazy !

If caught by the CID while or for committing a crime, get ready to get some punches/slaps :D

Gone are the old days, they used to give you good food and chicken biryaani on fridays.. all they have now is a break and an egg !

lool
ahamed wrote:Yes they do torture you in the police station.

dam the police station , how come they didn't have queen bed and a remote control air-condition for you staying pleasure. all this sounds like torture to me especially if you are a criminal LOL
uaekid

Jan 17, 2009
I have no problem with thieves, murderers to be given less than ideal conditions.

what is worrying is hwen people who have argued with the wrong person or are in jail unfairly.
BlackburnRovers
Dubai Expat Helper

Jan 17, 2009
suicide in Dubai is common in 7 days newspaper. they always say "Indian suicide in roof top".
spirophonix
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Jan 18, 2009
R things really that bad down in UAE?
crewingb
Dubai Forums Member

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat