Satwa Is Being Demolished...

Topic locked
Satwa is being demolished... May 27, 2008
http://www.arabianbusiness.com/519834-100000-dubai-residents-face-eviction

I will try to comment on this one without being offensive :wink:.
It seems the whole Satwa area will has to go and make way for the new Jumeira Garden City (yet again another "city"- the name itself screams "expensive!").
Sadly, Dubai Municipality's only concern is to apprehend those pesky bachelors and people who sublet rooms. The developers won't pay for their relocation since these people are illegally living there.
Well, there's International City (the one next to the sewage treatment facility), but for most of the evictees, the rents there are still too expensive for them.
So if anyone read through, where do you think will these displaced people, mostly low-income workers go?

These are my suggestions to the Dubai Government:
1. Standardize and regulate incomes and rents. Big problem.
2. Build really cheap housing complexes far, far away, within huge sand dune valleys, out of sight from luxurious Dubai then build a Metro line through there.
3. Deport all these people. They are "illegally living" here anyway (i.e., sharing rooms- most of them are probably resident visa holders since they work here so they're legally here). Problem with this one is that no one will be left to provide services in hotels and restaurants, drive buses and cabs, man the shops, etc, etc.....
4. Deport all these people then recruit people with first class HRM training, bus and cab driving education (not necessarily from the 1st-world countries I guess) and pay them enough to live decently here (and legally!) and probably get themselves a place in Jumeirah Garden City.

pinoy1
Dubai chat master

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat