Philippines VS Mexico Once Again!

Topic locked
Philippines VS Mexico Once Again! Oct 01, 2007
Four Years in the Making, the countdown begins and let's get ready to rumble!

Pacman (Manny Pacquiao) VS Baby Faced Assasin (Antonio Barrera)

Filipinos, boxing fanatics and sports enthusiasts, what are your predictions?

Me, Pacman by Knockout at 8 round.

Website here: http://www.mannypacquiao.ph/

SCY
Dubai forums Addict

Oct 01, 2007
Yeah, this is gonna be a cracker, no doubts about it!

Possibly the fight of the year...

Am a big PAC fan, and Barrera is my least favorite out of the Mexican boxers, so I hope Manny does it again...

BUT, you can never, never count Barrera out! He has become a real crafty veteran in his later years and if he chooses to box intelligently and stick out that jab of his, well it could be a long night for Pacquiao!

But hell, I just reckon there's no stopping Manny right now. If anyone can do it, if anyone has got the energy and the KO factor, it's him!

I go with SCY: either a KO around RD 8 for Pacquiao. Or a points win for Barrera!

:twisted:
burton
Dubai forums Addict
Location: meanstreets of satwa, outside your mosque, stealing your shoes...

Oct 02, 2007
LETS GET READY TO RUMBLE!!!

burton
Dubai forums Addict

Oct 02, 2007
Burton, I think it's too late knocking Barrera out in round 8. Pacman knockout Morales in round 3, but it wasn't a good show because the main event lasted for 9 minutes only! :lol:

PACMAN has to knock his underdog opponent out before the 12 round ends because he could hardly win the score cards.

I would like to see the Mexican slugger kissing the canvass again. Manny became very well known in Mexico after he knockout their legend i.e Antonio Barrrera. He also knockout Erik Morales. And still a draw with Marquez.

Geesh, I just love watching this sport. It's real and there's drama.
SCY
Dubai forums Addict

Oct 02, 2007
hey sc, r u watching this at the comfort of ur house? or u know any nice place to hangout and watch this match?
panaghoy
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Oct 02, 2007
pacquiao in 5 rounds,, KO of course
studstar
Dubai forums Addict

Oct 02, 2007
SCY wrote:Burton, I think it's too late knocking Barrera out in round 8. Pacman knockout Morales in round 3, but it wasn't a good show because the main event lasted for 9 minutes only! :lol:

PACMAN has to knock his underdog opponent out before the 12 round ends because he could hardly win the score cards.

I would like to see the Mexican slugger kissing the canvass again. Manny became very well known in Mexico after he knockout their legend i.e Antonio Barrrera. He also knockout Erik Morales. And still a draw with Marquez.

Geesh, I just love watching this sport. It's real and there's drama.

Hi SCY,

Yeah, the end came pretty quick for poor old Erik. Actually, it was kinda hard watching that last fight because he's always been one of my favorite boxers...

I agree with you, Manny needs the KO. He can't afford to let it reach a points decision. Especially against Barrera...

Yep, there's a whole lot of drama! Been a lot of speculation too, rumours etc about distractions in Manny's camp, Barrera getting KOed in sparring (is this too fool Team Pacquiao into letting their guard down??)...

Well, all will be decided on Sunday (UAE time) morning!
burton
Dubai forums Addict

Oct 02, 2007
panaghoy wrote:hey sc, r u watching this at the comfort of ur house? or u know any nice place to hangout and watch this match?

I'm sure there will be at least three Filipino bars showing the fight live.
In the past, they have shown Pacquiao fights at Regent Palace, President, Ratsky etc...

One place which will definitely be showing it live is 'Tia Maria' in the Chelsea Hotel. And that is where I will be in the early hours!

:D
burton
Dubai forums Addict

Oct 02, 2007
Thanks for that beautiful photo, burton!

After losing the May Election back home, I think Manny has to vent out his political frustrations in the ring. Hehehe!

Freddie Roach has said Manny is ready to win the score cards. He earned more technical skills during the training.

Mexico wants Pacquio and Philippines wants Barrera! This has been long over due for the two countries to watch. Tickets Sold Out and Betting is getting more exciting with Barrera as the underdog. :lol:

Can the Southpaw knock out Baby faced Assassin once again?! hmm..Let's watch this bout!
SCY
Dubai forums Addict

Oct 02, 2007
burton wrote:
panaghoy wrote:hey sc, r u watching this at the comfort of ur house? or u know any nice place to hangout and watch this match?

I'm sure there will be at least three Filipino bars showing the fight live.
In the past, they have shown Pacquiao fights at Regent Palace, President, Ratsky etc...

One place which will definitely be showing it live is 'Tia Maria' in the Chelsea Hotel. And that is where I will be in the early hours!

:D

Me and the rest of the Filipinos will be there too! hahaha..
SCY
Dubai forums Addict

Oct 02, 2007
I quite like 'Tia Marias'. The band suck but the actual place is a bit more chilled out than some of the other clubs...

I was there about two months ago for the Boom-Boom fight - just me and the two managers at 4 in the morning, not another soul in sight!

Oh well, perhaps we'll bump into each other then SCY. In the meantime, you can enjoy this little advert I found:

http://tagpuan.com/angel-locsin-and-eri ... ommercial/

Seems that Erik has become more popular in defeat!

:lol:
burton
Dubai forums Addict

Oct 02, 2007
Hi there guys! Ei burton, how are you doing?

My prediction is Manny Pacquiao by Unanimous Decision although I'm still hoping he'd score a KO. Manny has gathered up alot of strength the last time he fought Barrera and the fact that he has developed his right hook and jab is something to watch out for.
DaWarrior
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Oct 02, 2007
burton wrote:Seems that Erik has become more popular in defeat!

ironyX2! :lol:

Pacquiao by KO in 4th :wink:
yujinn
Dubai forums Addict

Oct 02, 2007
burton wrote:In the meantime, you can enjoy this little advert I found:

http://tagpuan.com/angel-locsin-and-eri ... ommercial/

Seems that Erik has become more popular in defeat!

What the heck?! Our very own Philippine Magnolia Company hired Erik to endorse their beverage products and doing commercial ad along with our champions - Patrimonio (Basketball) & Angel (Actress). :shock: I didn't see that advert. Hmm..the boxer is now a commercial product endorser.

I doubt Erik went to Philippines for the shoot, but he's still handsome.

------------------

It was hard for Erik during the bout. He has misunderstanding and not in good terms with his father trainer during his bout against PACMAN. Behind the scene situation does affect boxer's performance in the ring.

-----------------
OK, Let's reminisce the 1st fight of Pacman and Baby Faced Assassin.

ME: I was happy that Pacman won, but i shed tears when the brother of Barrera went inside the ring and throw white towel to his bloody brother. It was a real life drama and very touching also. Filipinos and Mexicans couldn't forget that dramatic bout.

How about you? What do you remember about their first bout?
SCY
Dubai forums Addict

Oct 02, 2007
Hmm...

I just remember Barrera getting more and more worn out, just gradually falling apart at the seams...and then, becoming more and more disillusioned and petulant - lots of pleading looks/calls to the ref etc..

That's probably the main aspect of his character that I don't like - when his plan is going well, fine. No problems. But he can start to 'play up' a bit like a kid when things don't go his way. Just take a look at the Naz fight, and even more recently against Marquez...

Aside from that, just the general feeling of history being written before our very eyes. It was, after all, one of the greatest boxing upsets at the time. And the official entry onto the boxing world stage of the Pacman.

After that fight, everything changed!
burton
Dubai forums Addict

Oct 02, 2007
Barrera's rematch with Morales was terrible. They're both pissed in and out of the ring. It's also evident that Barrera is a dirty fighter.

But they've learned something from Manny i.e Sportmanship. Manny told them, they're enemies inside the ring only, holding grudge like what Barrera & Morales have for each other, is giving the sports of boxing a bad name.
SCY
Dubai forums Addict

Oct 04, 2007
Check it out people!

Pacman in training, on the bag and focus mitts:
http://www.fighthype.com/index.php?PHPS ... c93a2a1988

Believe!
burton
Dubai forums Addict

Oct 04, 2007
God help us if the philippino guy doesn't win, because it will be followed by the most unprecedented amount of whining the world has ever seen.

"the IBF is trying to be funny even if it means stooping so low to offhandedly rig a fight. I believe this is racial prejudice against Filipino boxers.
Maybe the ignorant promoters don't know that the US recognizes boxers and professionals from the Philippines without even requiring them for additional beatings in the US.
We’re calling Filipinos in Middle-East NOT to support BOXING AS A SPORT. Disgusting! Public Apology is mandatory."

:roll:
Medvezhonok
Dubai forums Addict

Oct 04, 2007
Medvezhonok wrote:God help us if the philippino guy doesn't win, because it will be followed by the most unprecedented amount of whining the world has ever seen.

Blimey, I can sense another blow-up! No comment!

But in all honesty Med, since you have made the remark, Filipinos - generally speaking - are not regarded as 'whingers'.

In fact, it's quite the opposite - the accepted stereotype is their ability to look on the bright side of life and laugh in the face of life's troubles, the daily grind and even things of more disastrous proportions...
burton
Dubai forums Addict

Oct 04, 2007
burton wrote:Blimey, I can sense another blow-up! No comment!

But in all honesty Med, since you have made the remark, Filipinos - generally speaking - are not regarded as 'whingers'.

In fact, it's quite the opposite - the accepted stereotype is their ability to look on the bright side of life and laugh in the face of life's troubles, the daily grind and even things of more disastrous proportions...

Ok, it must be just a few that signed the petition and their health secretary (who apparently has more important things to do than attending health issues, like sending angry hate mail to TV shows) who are whiners, most Filipinos are nice people though.
Medvezhonok
Dubai forums Addict

Oct 04, 2007
I think it will be Pacquiao by 5th round stoppage. At this point of his career, he is just too unstoppable. His speed, power and age will be his main weapons.

If it goes the distance, it will probably go to Barrera. He's quite a savvy and very adaptive to different situations. He is a true boxer-puncher, definitely one of the best featherweights of all time. But he may be at the twilight of his career.
RedLion
Dubai Forum User

Oct 04, 2007
Medvezhonok wrote:Maybe the ignorant promoters don't know that the US recognizes boxers and professionals from the Philippines without even requiring them for additional beatings in the US.

say, what? :lol:
RedLion
Dubai Forum User

Oct 05, 2007
Damn!

I just spoke to the manager at Tiya Maria, Chelsea Hotel.

They are NOT showing the Pacquiao fight!!!

I hope to god I can find another place. If anybody does know a club or bar which is showing it, LIVE, please update us...

:cry: :evil: :evil:
burton
Dubai forums Addict

Oct 06, 2007
Damn 2!

Filipinos and boxing fanatics in mid-east cannot watch the show live via webcast. :evil:
SCY
Dubai forums Addict

Oct 06, 2007
Pictures from the weigh-in:

Still haven't found a place to go see it live!

Time is running out, the hour approaches...

:cry:
burton
Dubai forums Addict

Oct 06, 2007
Thanks for posting that photos Burton. Geesh, Barrera is still "Baby Faced" despite the extreme preparations and hardwork. Manny looks shock!

We've subscribed to Orbit "Pay Per View for dhs. 45/-". I have to wake up as early as 4:00 am tomorrow.
SCY
Dubai forums Addict

Oct 07, 2007
CONGRATULATIONS MANNY "PACMAN" PACQUIAO! You made all your kabayans proud of you!

Perfect Match, Excellent show! Pacman is now the Super Internatioanl Featherweight Champion of WBC, and the Republic Enemy of Mexico (as per the commentator) :lol:

In fairness to Barrera (Baby Faced Assassin), he's still the technical and intelligent fighter of all time. His aim is not TKO, because he would like to retire from the boxing world gracefully, and he got it. NO TKO, but lost the score cards.

Everybody is happy with their bout, and most especially the Philippines!

Hmm..I am looking forward to a rematch of JMM and Pacman.
SCY
Dubai forums Addict

Oct 07, 2007
Congrats! Though I wasn't able to watch it... :( *whine* *whine* *whine*.....
yujinn
Dubai forums Addict

Oct 07, 2007
You can still watch the re-play. The fight ends in 12 rounds with Barrera trying his usual dirty tricks in round 10. Pacman by unanimous decision. :D

My first time to watch Manny winning the score cards. And yes, his speed and other technical skills have improved. Thanks to his american trainer, Freddie Roach. Very nice bout, you better watch it!
SCY
Dubai forums Addict

Oct 07, 2007
Aaaaaarghhh!!!!

DaWarrior, I'm gonna kill you!!! :evil:

So here I am, been waiting to download this fight all morning. And of course, I've been avoiding any news/results of the fight - you know, looking forward to watching it and finding out myself.

What happens? DaWarrior sends me a text message ( I didn't think not to open it) telling me the result!!!

:( :cry: :lol:
burton
Dubai forums Addict

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat