New Radar Cameras

Topic locked
New Radar Cameras May 09, 2009
I snatched this from another forum:

DUBAI // Motorists, beware. Police are testing a new roadside camera that can detect not only speeding, but a whole range of driving offences.

The cameras, which include a flash, still camera and a video recorder, will spot sudden lane changing, driving on the hard shoulder and failing to stay far enough behind the vehicle ahead.

Two are currently being tested on Al Khail Road, and are likely eventually to be installed across the city.

“What is special about these radars is that they will allow us to detect all kinds of different violations committed by light vehicles, heavy vehicles and motorbikes,” said Brigadier Mohammed Saif al Zafeen, the director of the general traffic department at Dubai Police.

While existing radars can only pick up speeding, the video recorder in the new model can provide evidence of more complex offences, such as a heavy vehicle using the fast lane, or a car driving too close to the one in front.

The new radars are also equipped with a cooling system to extend their life.

Brig al Zafeen said more radars would be ordered after the trial period is over.

“Although we feel that the device is a big success and that it will bring more safety on the roads by allowing us to monitor multiple violations, we want to complete the test period first,” he said.

There are currently 500 radars on Dubai’s roads, which record millions of speeding offences every year. Police say they do not plan to replace all radars with this new model, but will put the cameras at strategic locations and accident blackspots.

“We are currently studying various locations and intend to place the new radars on roads where speeding is a problem, and where there are more accidents and violations taking place,” said Brig al Zafeen.

“That’s mainly in the outer roads. The rest of the existing radars will be moved to inner roads.”

According to police statistics for the first quarter of this year, speeding violations have dropped by more than a fifth since last year. In the first three months of 2008, 418,885 radar fines were issued, compared with 326,404 in 2009, a 22 per cent reduction.

“Drivers are becoming more aware of the dangers of speeding, which is the primary cause of serious accidents,” Brig al Zafeen said.

The number of drivers caught running a red light also dropped, from 3,266 in the first quarter of 2008 to 2,682 this year, a fall of 18 per cent.

http://www.thenational.ae/article/20090 ... 1/NATIONAL

Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

May 10, 2009
Good for Dubai Police, we are currently the most dangerous place on the planet for driving, statistically speaking.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

May 10, 2009
Couple of days ago I saw a new type of radar. It's shaped like a tall grey stainless steel box (not round/cylinder), about 50cmx50cm and 3 meters high, and there are couple of camera holes on the upper side. Though I don't remember where. Probably that's the new radar as mentioned above.
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

May 12, 2009
safety they say f@#$ that shite!! its all bout the money. these guys are on a mission to make money. Freind of mine got a fine for wrong parking in his own buildings basement parking!!! and I thought id seen everything.
Its wishful thinkin but i wonder what theyd say if someone placed a small charge of c4 on each and every radar here and blew them up all at the same time. would be mighty funny bit like playin worms.
olivertwisted
Dubai Forums Frequenter

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat