Need Help - Out On Bail After Drink And Drive (DUI)

Topic locked
Need help - Out on bail after drink and drive (DUI) Apr 05, 2013
Hello everybody,

It is extremely embarrassing to post this thread. I have been living in DXB for over 1.5 years and have always respected the law of the country and have adhered to the culture of this nation. I am employed with one of the most reputed organisations in Dubai and live with my wife and aging father here. I am 29 and from India.

On the wee hours of March 29, 2013 I was caught for drinking and driving on Jumeira Road. There were no accidents whatsoever. After being taken to Bur Dubai police station and after having been in Custody (Bur Dubai jail) for 3 days, I was granted a bail after paying a deposit of AED 20000 and a passport of my relative. I cannot explain the anxiety with which I have been living ever since. With the host of mixed responses available on the internet, I am hoping to hear from someone who knows of a situation that I am currently in. Can someone please help me with the following questions please:

1. After being remanded at the Bur Dubai police station from approx. 5AM on March 29, 2013 I was released on bail at approx. 8PM on March 31, 2013. I have been given 4 different hard copies of paper, each related to the case that I was booked under. The very first copy that I was given mentioned the court hearing date as April 14, 2013. However, when I checked with the officers in the Police Station and with the Public Prosecutor, they both mentioned that I would receive a phone call informing me about the actual court hearing date. I am really anxious and worried as I want to close the case as early as possible. I accept my blunder and am willing to face the consequences. Does anybody know approximately how long does it take for me to receive a confirmed date for the court hearing?

2. I know that on the internet different respondents have posted different views about the consequences. Some say a fine and jail term with the driving license being cancelled. Some say deportation as well. I know that this varies depending on the severity of the case, but knowing the situation that I am in what do you think could be the possible punishment. The police officers in the cell assured me that there would be no jail term. There would be a fine though - which could be either AED 20000 or lesser. But not more. I'd like to hear from you about what you have seen as the punishment in the past.

3. On March 28, 2013 I had applied for a UK Visa as I am required to travel to the UK on work on April 28, 2013. I was told by the UK Embassy officials that the Visa Processing will take approximately 2 weeks.My passport is currently with the UK Embassy currently under processing. In case you are wondering whose passport I deposited for my bail, it was my brother-in-law's. I am worried if this case will result in my Visa being rejected. Can someone please let me know if this case will affect my Visa Request for the UK?

4. My last question is related to the first one. How long does it take generally for the court hearing. Will my court hearing happen before April 28, 2013 i.e. my date of travel to the UK? Hoping for the best, with the assumption that I only pay the fine and get away before April 28, 2013 will I be stopped at the Dubai Airport when I attempt to fly out of the country on April 28, 2013?

Your responses will be much appreciated. If you have any questions related to my experience, I will be happy to answer as well.

Fingers crossed!

dxbcitizen
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Re: Need Help - Out On Bail After Drink And Drive (DUI) Apr 07, 2013
I'm sorry I can't help you with your dilemma. I don't think anyone would be able to definite answers to your questions as you are at the hands of Dubai Courts.
You have been lucky with your 20,000 bail. I heard someone being bailed for 36000 last week. He was a Pakistani Muslim so maybe he was treated more harshly.

As a side note you say you are embarrassed. Surely you mean ashamed? You could have caused a fatal accident. It's lucky you didn't so stop feeling sorry for yourself!
BMreformed
Dubai chat master

Re: Need help - Out on bail after drink and drive (DUI) Apr 07, 2013
@BMreformed - true. The words that could have been used to describe my inner regret could be myriad. Nevertheless, I know the wrong that has been done and am now looking at focussing on the solution. As I mentioned, I'm willing to pay the price, not necessarily monetarily!

In fact, one of the inmates who got out with me on bail on the same day had paid aed 32000. He had had an accident and had fleed the site. He was a brazilian non-muslim. He's floating on the same boat of regret as I am. I bet anybody In this situation would be. I also know of a South American (Peru) who got out on a bail on Friday (holiday) as he had some contacts with the top management of tier I organizations in Dubai. He was asked to pay the aed 20k bail the next day.

Anyway, thanks for taking the time out to respond to the thread.
dxbcitizen
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Re: Need Help - Out On Bail After Drink And Drive (DUI) Apr 07, 2013
BMreformed , Well that depends if he was drunk or actually just had some alcohol in his system.
dxbcitizen , How much alcohol did you consume? Were you acting hazy or were you normal and responsive(not drunk). As for the hearing, it really is unpredictable. They could adjourn it for weeks, even for months.
prowheels
Dubai forums Addict

Re: Need help - Out on bail after drink and drive (DUI) Apr 07, 2013
prowheels Thanks for the response. I was definitely not misbehaving. In fact, I don't think it is appropriate to state "how" I was stopped by the officials as I think it doesn't contribute to the thread. But yes, I had about 3 drinks with a significant level (medically) in my blood. Talking about the hearing, your response is really worrying me. The adjournment of months is something that I definitely cannot cope with. Anyway, I really don't know what's in store next. It surely is a lesson learnt!

--- Apr 08, 2013 ---

Just an update. The two guys who got a bail on the same day as I did have their court hearing on Apr 10 and Apr 15. I still haven't received any call yet. The status on the website shows Investigation with no court date yet.

Something that I missed mentioning earlier was that I had mentioned to the prosecutor that I do possess a liquor license which is currently under processing since I had applied for a renewal of my license on Mar 28th. During my meeting with the prosecutor, he stated that I have 4 days to submit the proof of my license. On the 3rd day I submitted the receipts of my renewal. He said that he would write to the police to check if my renewal would be processed and this may take a couple of weeks.

I wonder if this is what is causing the delay. One of the other guys had an accident under the influence of alcohol and the other guy had a similar case as my of just being caught driving under the influence.

Very worried still!!!
dxbcitizen
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Re: Need Help - Out On Bail After Drink And Drive (DUI) Apr 08, 2013
Worrying won't help. If you are ashamed and won't do it again then court may go easy on you. Go to a counselor so you won't do it again.
Nucleus
Dubai Forums Veteran

prowheels wrote:BMreformed , Well that depends if he was drunk or actually just had some alcohol in his system.
dxbcitizen , How much alcohol did you consume? Were you acting hazy or were you normal and responsive(not drunk).

Prowheels, there is a zero tolerance to drinking and driving for a reason and that is because it is not safe to drive under the influence of any drugs or alcohol. You may think your responses are normal but they are not.

The only time I have the slightest sympathy for anyone in these circumstances are those who get caught 'the morning after'.

By the way I thought you were only 15?
BMreformed
Dubai chat master

Re: Need help - Out on bail after drink and drive (DUI) Apr 08, 2013
@Nucleus - I certainly hope things will pan out as an opportunity for me to come out reformed. If not this, I only hope this thread is useful to those who are prone to breaking this law of the country.

Let me tell you guys, this experience is certainly not worth it. Just to throw some light on what happens when you are in custody....
1. Time passes slower than a snail's pace. You don't have a clock or a watch to tell you how much of the day you have passed. Each minute feels like a year.
2. The food served is just enough to ensure you survive till the next meal.
3. Your loved ones don't know what's happening to you. Your phone is taken away. And you are allowed to purchase an aed 30 calling card to make a 5 min call to anybody (whose number you remember of your memory) using the common telephone booth. I remember standing in line for 2 hours each time before getting my turn to make that one telephone call.
4. The toilets are foul smelling. Needless to mention the hygiene levels.
5. You are handcuffed each time you are taken out of the custody for your fingerprints, tests etc., All your academic qualifications, your professional laurels and societal respect goes flying out of the window in comparison to what this experience does to your self esteem.

I now fear if I am getting into a shell. I haven't met any of my friends for a week now and don't feel like either. Since I have no option, my interactions are only limited to my colleagues and wife. Again, it's nothing like before.

Spread the word. Stay safe. God bless!!!
dxbcitizen
Dubai Expat Wannabe

BMreformed , I didn't say that drinking and driving is a good idea, just go easy on the guy. He seems sorry! And no, I'm not 15.
dxbcitizen , Well that's prison life for ya mate. If you knew some blokes who worked in the police, maybe just maybe they could have let this whole thing blow away. In front of the judge, try and emphatically show some remorse. Also try and tell him that you will make sure that you tell everyone you know not to drink and drive or not drink at all. What you don't want to do is be over emotional and break down in front of the judge. G'luck!
prowheels
Dubai forums Addict

Re: Need help - Out on bail after drink and drive (DUI) Apr 08, 2013
Everyone.... Thanks a bunch! For everything and more.

I'm signing off from this thread for the time being until I get that phone call about my court hearing date. In the meanwhile, keep the posts coming in andhope that this serves as a lesson or two for the readers.... Of course at my expense.

If I don't get back here in a few days, you may rest assure the obvious has taken place.

Later then....
dxbcitizen
Dubai Expat Wannabe

dxbcitizen , So now that you've had a good cry, I hope you feel better. Hey! That's what DF is for :D

Btw, back in the day when drinking a few beers in Dubai was no big deal, I discovered that my driving skills improved with drinking alcohol! I could weave in and out of the Dubai traffic in rush hour, and still manage not to hit anyone :shock:

I dont think I could have done that when stone cold sober :P
But I dont drink and drive now, because that is against the law.

Some people cant hold their drink! They get all giggly and wonky......tut tut.
Jonkers
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Re: Need Help - Out On Bail After Drink And Drive (DUI) Apr 09, 2013
prowheels wrote:BMreformed , I didn't say that drinking and driving is a good idea, just go easy on the guy. He seems sorry! And no, I'm not 15.

16?
How time flies! It isn't that long ago you were telling DF you were 15,
BMreformed
Dubai chat master

Re: Need Help - Out On Bail After Drink And Drive (DUI) Apr 10, 2013
One of the other guys who got out on bail on the same day as I did had his court hearing today. I had visited the Court to meet the Public Prosecutor to follow up on the case, which is when I met him.
He's French and is currently in between jobs in Dubai. Guess there's still a ray of hope. Not to dilute the impact and consequences of DUI for the readers though. The guy managed to close his case today in the presence of officials and the judge.
Verdict
Fine - aed 10000
Driving License suspension - 3 months
Jail Term - None

My case station? Still under investigation. The update is that the traffic police are awaiting an update from the CID on whether my alcohol license is valid or not.
Fingers and toes crossed!
dxbcitizen
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Re: Need Help - Out On Bail After Drink And Drive (DUI) Apr 10, 2013
prowheels
Dubai forums Addict

Re: Need help - Out on bail after drink and drive (DUI) Jul 12, 2013
I think it may effect the UK visa application. Better consult a good advocate. If it is fine that is your luck. Best wishes.

best omaha dui lawyers | dui nebraska
georgegibson
Dubai Forum Visitor

Re: Need Help - Out On Bail After Drink And Drive (DUI) Nov 22, 2014
Hi, dxbcitizen .. my little brother has been caught by police claiming that he has been caught driving drunk .. I don't know whether it is true or not but let this keep aside some one please help me how can I get him on bail ..
AhmedAhmed
UAE, Dubai Forum starter

undefined Apr 21, 2015
call Dubai Prosecution 04- 3346 666 check staatus of your court hearing .the bail duration for month after you will wanted person list. also to close your Keep all document and pay slip ,now the passport also will be in the court only not in the station
jomon
UAE, Dubai Forum starter

undefined Jun 27, 2015
I don't know how i ended up here.. but i was also in that situation ....i got caught on Friday of Oct 2014 with 94mg/dl of blood alcohol.
Verdict

Fine 10,000

Prison-- 3 days --- due to holiday

damage to Govt. property--- Fine AED 4000

Damage to Car Nissan Tiida ---- AED 15,0000 repair charges( Was company Car screwed big time)

Car impounded-- 60 days

License --24 black points and suspended for Three Months..

Almost Lost my Job

TOTAL LOSS -- AED 29,000 for drinks worth AED 300....+Mental Trauma+Family & Friends Suffer with you...... Is it worth it ?..... NO.... i learnt my lesson the very HARD WAY.... still trying to come out of the debt that i took to get released...

It could have been worse i could have killed some one or i could have got killed !!!!!

My Verdict : Please be responsible . NEVER MIX DRIVING WITH DRINKING.... it is not worth it.. TRUST... If you want to learn the hard way CHEERS !!!
GRB1
UAE, Dubai Forum starter

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat