80 Lashes, Fine And Deportation For Drinking At Home!!!!!!

Topic locked
80 Lashes, Fine and Deportation for Drinking at Home!!!!!! Feb 21, 2010
Jail, 80 lashes, fine and deportation for drinking at home!!!

Wow!!.... Isn’t that a little too severe, particularly in a place (Ajman) where you can openly buy booze!!??

Man to get 80 lashes for drinking alcohol

By Bassma Al Jandaly, Senior Reporter
Published: 00:00 February 19, 2010

Ajman: A man will pay a fine, receive lashes and will be deported for consuming alcohol in his room in Ajman, according to court documents, Gulf News has learned.
The Arab man was sentenced by the court to pay a Dh1,500 fine. He will receive 80 lashes, after which he will be deported.

A medical test conducted after his arrest showed alcohol in his bloodstream.
Police told Gulf News that the 26-year-old Moroccan — identified as M.Z. — was last week arrested in his room, which he shared with others.

M.Z. was arrested along with the other residents, including a man and a woman who lived in the same place.

Police said they went to arrest another man, but when they found the accommodation was being shared, they arrested everybody. The residents were taken for medical tests to establish if they had sexual relationships, police said.

"The law bans unmarried men and women from staying in one place. We found that M.Z. consumed alcohol in his room and he was referred to the Public Prosecutor," a police source said.

The court found there had not been any sexual relations between the residents.
M.Z.'s sister told Gulf News that her brother came to work in Dubai as a tailor three years ago.

"We are a poor family and we have our parents who we are supporting back home. My brother is not bad person. He consumes alcohol in his room," she said.

http://gulfnews.com/news/gulf/uae/crime ... l-1.585233

Tom Jones
Dubai Forums Veteran

Re: 80 Lashes, Fine and Deportation for Drinking at Home!!!!!! Feb 21, 2010
Nothing surprising there, expect people living in the middle ages to act like in the middle ages.
gertrude
Dubai forums Addict

gertrude wrote:Nothing surprising there, expect people living in the middle ages to act like in the middle ages.

One can't disagree with that. :lol:

What a world we live in. Its laughable from my Western perspective, but if I were living there I would definately be crying. Again...what a world... :drunken:
RobbyG
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Say whatever you want however the guy who has been caught unfortunately broke so many laws.

1) He is most certainly Muslim, so it is against Shariah law to consume Alcohol.

2) He is not allowed to share accomodation.

3) He is not allowed to share accomodation with a female.

These laws are all well known and documented, so why the fuss?
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Tom Jones wrote:Jail, 80 lashes, fine and deportation for drinking at home!!!

Wow!!.... Isn’t that a little too severe, particularly in a place (Ajman) where you can openly buy booze!!??

Man to get 80 lashes for drinking alcohol

http://gulfnews.com/news/gulf/uae/crime ... l-1.585233

Sage would find it well deserved and a decent judgement.
capsicum
BANNED

I told you, lol.
In the end, who cares, they can give him life in prison if they want, they only do it to themselves and by themselves, they accept it and live in total submission their whole life. But they dont know what they are missing :) alcohol is good (in moderation) and it s fantastic to have a girl friend.
capsicum
BANNED

sage & onion wrote:Say whatever you want however the guy who has been caught unfortunately broke so many laws.

1) He is most certainly Muslim, so it is against Shariah law to consume Alcohol.

2) He is not allowed to share accomodation.

3) He is not allowed to share accomodation with a female.

These laws are all well known and documented, so why the fuss?

For a set of laws in the Arab Middle ages, I could possibly agree with that view.

But from a 21st Century libertarian secular perspective... Absolutely unacceptable. :drunken:
RobbyG

RobbyG wrote:

For a set of laws in the Arab Middle ages, I could possibly agree with that view.

But from a 21st Century libertarian secular perspective... Absolutely unacceptable. :drunken:

:lol: what Arab is not in Middle ages, Arab=Middle ages, it s the same Robby
capsicum
BANNED

capsicum wrote:
RobbyG wrote:

:lol: what Arab is not in Middle ages, Arab=Middle ages, it s the same Robby

I stand corrected. :D
RobbyG

How about those Arabs? I caught them in a liquore store buying booze. Should they get 80 lashes too?
Capsicum: I say Arab=Hypocrisy
herve
Dubai Forums Veteran

hey thats me LOL
uaekid
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Tom Jones wrote: The residents were taken for medical tests to establish if they had sexual relationships, police said.

Thats just so Orwellian!
BlackburnRovers
Dubai Expat Helper

My take on most of these stories about alcohol consumption, holding hands, kissing, or sharing accomodation "arrests" is that they are made up to send "warnings" to others and only happen where there is some other dispute and someone "rats" on the arrested person.
XPT
Dubai forums Addict

How they prove that u are muslim or not? If anytime I lived in Dubai and Since in my passport has written muslim, and I'm from Iran, they can arrest me because of drinking? :roll:
melika969
Dubai Forums Knight

melika969 wrote:How they prove that u are muslim or not? If anytime I lived in Dubai and Since in my passport has written muslim, and I'm from Iran, they can arrest me because of drinking? :roll:

Apparently :D Ironically, and at the same time the amount of alcohol you can bring into the UAE has increased. I came tru to Dubai Terminal 2 yesterday and at Duty Free there was a couple in front of me buying alochol. They inquired whether they could pay in one bill as they had 4 botlles of wine. The cashier told them they could import 10 bottles, 5 each! The couple was surprised as they thought it was only 3 bottles but apparently it is 10 bottles (5 litters) and it was recently increase to that level (to boost sales) :lol:
XPT
Dubai forums Addict

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat