A Kiss, Just A Kiss......

Topic locked
A Kiss, Just a Kiss...... Mar 12, 2010
This really, really sucks. I wonder if the Emirati woman who reported them thinks she actually did a service to Dubai and has saved Dubai from two more criminals.

JBR is basically an "expat community". As a local, you should expect to see different behavior if you venture out there, but if one finds European dress, and possibly behavior, offensive, there are plenty of places for locals to go where expats wouldn't dare to venture. She should have been at home and her kids in bed, rather than out at 2 in the morning. If she found affection to be offensive, how did she manage to have children?? It's even "against the law" to hold hands, but I see many, many locals walking hand-in-hand. I'm sure she wouldn't even raise an eyebrow if she saw that, then again, maybe she would go ballistic on them - after calling the police!!!!

What a miserable woman this person must be. She must really hate expats because she knows the consequences if she reports them.

http://gulfnews.com/news/gulf/uae/crime ... e-1.595649

Dubai: A couple who claimed they kissed on the cheek in a restaurant while under the influence of alcohol face one month in jail and deportation.

A 24-year-old British man, who works in Dubai, and a 25-year-old woman, visiting from the UK, will appear before the Appeals Court next week, seeking acquittal or reduction of the primary judgment.

The Dubai Misdemeanours Court sentenced the Britons to one month in jail followed by deportation for kissing and touching at a restaurant in Jumeirah Beach Residence (JBR).

Presiding Judge Ebrahim Khalil Abu Shamma, who handed out the primary verdict, also fined them Dh1,000 each for consuming alcohol.

Prosecutors charged the couple with kissing and drinking alcohol, after an Emirati mother claimed her children saw the man kiss the woman on her lips around 2am in the restaurant.

When the defendants appeared in court they denied kissing on the lips and said they kissed each other on the cheek. However, they pleaded guilty to consuming alcohol.

Court records said a 38-year-old Emirati woman testified that she spotted the woman walking into the restaurant along with four men.

"My daughter told me that the accused were kissing on the mouth. Then I spotted them doing so myself. I also saw them touching each other, as they were seated two to three metres away from our table. A number of customers witnessed the scene as well," claimed the Emirati in her statement.

A forensic laboratory report showed that the defendants had 22mg/dl of alcohol in their blood.

Sources close to the case told Gulf News that the couple appealed the primary judgment.

Expatriates

"The couple is seeking to acquit themselves or to win a reduced punishment," said the source.

Prosecutors asked the court to implement articles 121 and 356 of the Federal Penal Law.

Article 121 stipulates that any expatriate suspect, who gets convicted for a crime related to honour or modesty [such as kissing, groping, hugging, cuddling etc…] faces compulsory deportation.

According to the same article, a court can instantly deport a suspect for a misdemeanour crime instead of imposing a jail sentence.

The verdict sheet of the primary judgment said: "The court concluded that the man kissed and touched the woman's leg and shoulder in the restaurant in JBR.

"She consented to what he did. The court deemed their behaviour as public indecency and a breach of modesty and honour.

"The man had asked the court to hear the statements of the Emirati woman's children but the court disregarded his plea because her statement was enough. Besides she had also seen the crime herself."

Presiding Judge Abu Shamma handed out a lenient punishment as per articles 99 and 100 of the Federal Penal Law.

This should give you alot to chew on RobbyG!!!!

Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Re: A Kiss, Just a Kiss...... Mar 12, 2010
Bora Bora wrote:
This should give you alot to chew on RobbyG!!!!

LOL.

Oh boy, what will I say this time around... :lol:

Unbelievable. What a backwards society. You know what!? Why don't those locals stop breeding altogether. Then we are over the pride issue in about 50 years, when the last one drops in his/her coffin.

Just.....ahhrrgghhh nevermind :mrgreen: :wink:

ps @ Bora: Was this a worthy response to this matter, hon? 8)
RobbyG
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

No alcohol is served in all JBR restaurants, whether on the Walk or on the Plaza. The only restaurants that serve alcohol are the 2 restaurants at the newly opened Softeil Hotel within the JBR complex.

So, clearly the couple had been drinking before coming to the restaurant, which is likely to be one of the JBR Walk restaurants. In that case, I can see why an Emirati family would be there at that late hour. Beside Europeans, the JBR Walk restaurants are frequented by a lot of locals, Arabs and Gulf tourists until 2 or 3 in the morning, esp. on the weekends.

I agree. It was mean of the Emarati woman to call the cops on them. She could’ve asked them to stop, and most likely they would’ve stopped. It was also stupid of these two dummies to display such affection while sitting so close to an Emirati family!!

But that’s what you get when you have harsh laws and stupid expats!!

8) 8)
Tom Jones
Dubai Forums Veteran

well bora i would personaly ask her to get a life. On the other hand it is a law regardless of the act. People got to go with it.
uaekid
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Why go through the trouble travelling there at all, more articles like that and it is less visitors, less money, in the end locals are shooting themselves in the foot, they refuse to evolve, they ll die poor clinched to their 700th century mentality.
herve
Dubai Forums Veteran

Re: A Kiss, Just a Kiss...... Mar 13, 2010
As said before their is never a problem until their is a problem, these people obviously did something wrong and have to suffer the consequences. For the Criminal to have an opinion is simply out of order.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

uaekid wrote:well bora i would personaly ask her to get a life. On the other hand it is a law regardless of the act. People got to go with it.

Kid, I have seen many young local couples walking and holding hands - which is to say that they are clearly defying the law. So, it would be OK for me to call the police if I see a local couple holding hands because they were committing a "crime". I guarantee nothing would happen to them and I would be a "marked" woman, probably be harrassed by the police everytime I got out of my car, ID checked at random, leave a hotel and be tested for alcohol. Oh, wait, that wouldn't happen because I know people that wouldn't let it happen!! So, I'll make that call next time I see a lovely young couple holding hands.

This is just one of those laws that have to go!!! It might have suited the times in at the beginning of the last century, but it doesn't work today.

You know as well as I do that there are areas that are pretty much strictly for locals. Well, that is her comfort zone and that's where she should go.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

sage & onion wrote:As said before their is never a problem until their is a problem, these people obviously did something wrong and have to suffer the consequences. For the Criminal to have an opinion is simply out of order.

OK Pastor Sage. In all the years that you have been in Dubai you never, ever kissed your wife in public?? You never, ever held her hand in public??? You never, ever touched her arm in public??? You never, ever may have rested your hand on her knee?? If you say NO to all that, you are lying!!! If you did it just once, you are a crminal. :lol:

I highly doubt that they were locking lips and tongue slapping each others tonsils with three other people at the table. I doubt his hand was up her skirt when he touched her leg. I doubt his hand traveled up her blouse and out the sleeve to touch her arm.

This is just a miserable old crone who probably dislikes expats and the thought of calling the police if she saw a local couple holding hands - as many do. And why are her kids out at 2AM in the morning. That's a time for adults, not children. I can only image where her hubby was - probably out committing his own crimes. :lol: :lol:

Lighten up Sage.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Sage has his own set of rules.

He's trying to be politically correct, hypocritically correct, but he has troubles with being moderator neutral. Which basically renders him without a backbone. :D
RobbyG

without a doubt things are getting worse in Dubai.
Get out of there double quick!
smoggie
Dubai Expat Helper

Bora Bora wrote:
sage & onion wrote:As said before their is never a problem until their is a problem, these people obviously did something wrong and have to suffer the consequences. For the Criminal to have an opinion is simply out of order.

OK Pastor Sage. In all the years that you have been in Dubai you never, ever kissed your wife in public?? You never, ever held her hand in public??? You never, ever touched her arm in public??? You never, ever may have rested your hand on her knee?? If you say NO to all that, you are lying!!! If you did it just once, you are a crminal. :lol:

I highly doubt that they were locking lips and tongue slapping each others tonsils with three other people at the table. I doubt his hand was up her skirt when he touched her leg. I doubt his hand traveled up her blouse and out the sleeve to touch her arm.

This is just a miserable old crone who probably dislikes expats and the thought of calling the police if she saw a local couple holding hands - as many do. And why are her kids out at 2AM in the morning. That's a time for adults, not children. I can only image where her hubby was - probably out committing his own crimes. :lol: :lol:

Lighten up Sage.

BB, Sage does not even do it at home. As far as the Emirati Woman, it s jealousy, most of them have never experienced romance and seduction because their relations were "arranged", while their husbands have no problems to buy ladies when they are not home.
herve
Dubai Forums Veteran

catalyst
Dubai chat master

Bora Bora wrote:

Lighten up Sage.

It all depends which side of the story you choose to believe, I would say that it is probably somewhere in the middle and if so the couple should have known better. As for me, having lived here for a while I know how to behave so as not to cause offense.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

sage & onion wrote:
Bora Bora wrote:

Lighten up Sage.

It all depends which side of the story you choose to believe, I would say that it is probably somewhere in the middle and if so the couple should have known better. As for me, having lived here for a while I know how to behave so as not to cause offense.

Someone is being evasive..................... :) OK, assuming your wife travelled without you, when you see her off at the airport/or returning from a trip, do you shake her hand as a send off/or greeting?

And I have to say one thing: you conclude that what I said was "somewhere in the middle", right?? In fairness, can't you give that much to Herve - that his story could very well be "somewhere in the middle", that it's possible that some of what he said is true?? I'm not taking sides or defending, just being objective, as you were in drawing your conclusion.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Hey, hodling hands is illegal???? from where should one knows these rules?? I have been in Dubai couple of times and I didnt know holding hands is illegal. Even in Iran its not illegal to hold hands!
melika969
Dubai Forums Knight

melika969 wrote:Hey, hodling hands is illegal???? from where should one knows these rules?? I have been in Dubai couple of times and I didnt know holding hands is illegal. Even in Iran its not illegal to hold hands!

It's against the law for a man and woman to hold hands. It's considered a "sign of affection" also referred to as PDA (Public Display of Affection). One can only wonder what dirty thoughts it puts in one's head. :shock:

But note, that it's quite OK for two men to hold hands, hanging onto each other, arms wrapped around the shoulders or the waist walking down the street (or a young man sitting on another young man's lap as I have seen in public) is very acceptable because it is written off as not affection, but cultural in India and acceptable in some Arab countries. Clearly, this behavior doesn't "send a message". :roll:

Just ask the frenchman Chevy, he will confirm this. :)
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Bora Bora wrote:
melika969 wrote:Hey, hodling hands is illegal???? from where should one knows these rules?? I have been in Dubai couple of times and I didnt know holding hands is illegal. Even in Iran its not illegal to hold hands!

It's against the law for a man and woman to hold hands. It's considered a "sign of affection" also referred to as PDA (Public Display of Affection). One can only wonder what dirty thoughts it puts in one's head. :shock:

But note, that it's quite OK for two men to hold hands, hanging onto each other, arms wrapped around the shoulders or the waist walking down the street (or a young man sitting on another young man's lap as I have seen in public)
is very acceptable because it is written off as not affection, but cultural in India and acceptable in some Arab countries. Clearly, this behavior doesn't "send a message". :roll:

Well I be damned, they do have gay rights in Dubai...even more so than in Holland apparently :D
First they eliminate the natural line of human affection and in contrast they allow the homosexual relationship to develop. Ieeewwwww. :shock:

:mrgreen:
RobbyG

What I don't get is this crime of consuming alcohol. Call me a moron but since when is it illegal in Dubai for expat non-muslims to consume alcohol? Why do they have bars then if not to drink? For distillation purposes?!
dee7o
Dubai forums Addict

dee7o wrote:What I don't get is this crime of consuming alcohol. Call me a moron but since when is it illegal in Dubai for expat non-muslims to consume alcohol? Why do they have bars then if not to drink? For distillation purposes?!

Indeed, every sane person would call that 'hypocrisy'. But for some backward political system, they allow bars just for the media picture to attract tourists, which they preferably would lock up in jail for indecency.

In essence, they only want your money. Can't conclude anything else.
RobbyG

dee7o wrote:What I don't get is this crime of consuming alcohol. Call me a moron but since when is it illegal in Dubai for expat non-muslims to consume alcohol? Why do they have bars then if not to drink? For distillation purposes?!

In order to purchase or DRINK in Dubai you should have a liquor license. Otherwise :shock: it's illegal. Don't they "proof" you when you go to a place that serves liquor? :shock: I understand that they have these "temporary" liquor licenses that can be issued to tourists so that they can drink in the hotels.

So, they either drank at home (with no liquor license that would be a crime in itself as they would be possessing liquor illegally) or they went to a place that served liquor, which would have to be connected to a hotel, and then proceeded to have a bite to eat. Clearly no liquor was being served at the restaurant otherwise Madam would not have been there with the kiddies.

If you go to a bar, drink, leave the premises, once outside you can actually be arrested for consuming alcohol unless, of course, you have your liquor license with you!!!
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Bora Bora wrote:

In order to purchase or DRINK in Dubai you should have a liquor license. Otherwise :shock: it's illegal. Don't they "proof" you when you go to a place that serves liquor? :shock: I understand that they have these "temporary" liquor licenses that can be issued to tourists so that they can drink in the hotels.

So, they either drank at home (with no liquor license that would be a crime in itself as they would be possessing liquor illegally) or they went to a place that served liquor, which would have to be connected to a hotel, and then proceeded to have a bite to eat. Clearly no liquor was being served at the restaurant otherwise Madam would not have been there with the kiddies.

If you go to a bar, drink, leave the premises, once outside you can actually be arrested for consuming alcohol unless, of course, you have your liquor license with you!!!

baaaabaaaaabaaaaa. Doesn't make a grain of sense. :lol: :twisted:
RobbyG

RobbyG wrote:
Bora Bora wrote:

baaaabaaaaabaaaaa. Doesn't make a grain of sense. :lol: :twisted:

Hey, I ddn't make the law!!! Just telling you what it is.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Bora Bora wrote:
Hey, I ddn't make the law!!! Just telling you what it is.

Misss stutterrr. You can put a lid on it now. We don't explain senseless laws here on DF. We only condemn those :mrgreen: :lol: 8)
RobbyG

Just another petty minded and vindictive local, in 10 years time when this place resembles the 3rd world country it actually is, I doubt even then Emirates will see through their own ego to see where they went wrong - and that includes you Kid
FTD
Dubai Forums Talker

Bora Bora wrote:

But note, that it's quite OK for two men to hold hands, hanging onto each other, arms wrapped around the shoulders or the waist walking down the street (or a young man sitting on another young man's lap as I have seen in public) is very acceptable because it is written off as not affection, but cultural in India and acceptable in some Arab countries. Clearly, this behavior doesn't "send a message". :roll:

Yes it is true. And the dirty thoughts they put in are only their own. It goes even farther, to Emirati's, giving affection to a woman is wrong to begin with. They have a problem with the Saint Valentine for instance, they can't really ban it because of the bad publicity it would create, so they restrict the import of roses instead, did not you notice how difficult it is to buy roses on this day? During my time in Dubai, I have never, not once, saw a dish dasha in a flower shop, has anyone seen a Emirati buy flowers? Has an Emirati woman ever received flowers from the hands of her husband?
BB... ask Sage if he buys flowers to his wife and watch the reaction.
Robby , homose*uality is a serious crime overthere, but I heard that 40% of Emirati's have had an homose*ual relation in their life, especially before the boom when men did not have access to women. It s taboo of course.
herve
Dubai Forums Veteran

herve wrote:During my time in Dubai, I have never, not once, saw a dish dasha in a flower shop, has anyone seen a Emirati buy flowers? Has an Emirati woman ever received flowers from the hands of her husband?

I have been to many homes of locals, and they love flower arrangements!!! At ladies weddings, flowers! flowers! flowers!

But as for a man giving his wife flowers from his hands "just because", I would say that doesn't happen. He gives her gold!!!
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Bora Bora wrote:

This is absolutely correct, that's the point I was making previously "Their is never a problem until their is a problem"
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

For once I agree with Sage, in my words it s: the law is not enforced until someone complains to the police.
herve
Dubai Forums Veteran

Bora Bora wrote: also referred to as PDA

OMG….a PDA is illegal here in Dubai!???

I didn’t know that!!

Man…was I lucky not get caught. I had one for a long time before I got my Blackberry!!

…..
……

I know……….!! You don't have to say it!! My humor stinks!!!!
Tom Jones
Dubai Forums Veteran

Tom Jones wrote:
Bora Bora wrote: also referred to as PDA

OMG….a PDA is illegal here in Dubai!???

I didn’t know that!!

Man…was I lucky not get caught. I had one for a long time before I got my Blackberry!!

…..
……

I know……….!! You don't have to say it!! My humor stinks!!!!

Got me thinking Tom. Which is worse: being arrested for PDA or STD??
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat