Just Got A Fine!

Topic locked
Just got a fine! Jan 21, 2010
For crossing the road.
Fair enough was not at a pedestrian crossing. Me and another British guy got pulled up and told it was an offence. That was news to me!
Interesting thing was that he said that the rule only applies to residents and if we had been tourists we would have been ok.

Unbelievable!

smoggie
Dubai Expat Helper

Re: Just got a fine! Jan 21, 2010
Wasn't it already clear to most people by now, that the expatriates are simply regarded as labour serfs in a serfdom? :blackeye:

It ain't rocket science you know :D

RobbyG
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

lol i wonder if you can check your fine on dubaipolice website :D

if you were crossing sheikh zayed road, i would have said you deserve it but otherwise tough luck :D
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jaywalking is fine-able, period! It's a worthy complaint if there was no pedestrian crossing in sight. Otherwise ur in the wrong. And it really no one's business weather they fine tourists or not.
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

unbelievable...But then they need the cash!!!

I don't mind paying up If I have broken the law but when you see kids on dashboards, locals reading newspapers while driving (honestly), blacked out windscreens with only a mobile phone glow inside....There is something desperately wrong.

Fair enough...We are guests in their beloved country but it pushes me a little bit closer to getting out.....Still have quite a bit more money to get out of this place unfortunately
smoggie
Dubai Expat Helper

Re: Just got a fine! Jan 22, 2010
I wonder if a women pays half of the fine, since a woman gets half of the blood money if she gets killed crossing the road.
herve
Dubai Forums Veteran

smoggie wrote:unbelievable...But then they need the cash!!!

I don't mind paying up If I have broken the law but when you see kids on dashboards, locals reading newspapers while driving (honestly), blacked out windscreens with only a mobile phone glow inside....There is something desperately wrong.

Fair enough...We are guests in their beloved country but it pushes me a little bit closer to getting out.....Still have quite a bit more money to get out of this place unfortunately

I think the locals are the ones who are making the police gain a huge income with their monthly fines LOL we are on there top list :lol: I would say my yearly average is around 24 fines .
don't worry every one got a piece of it, life goes on.
uaekid
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

uaekid wrote:

I think the locals are the ones who are making the police gain a huge income with their monthly fines LOL we are on there top list :lol: I would say my yearly average is around 24 fines .

Yeah I know Kid....I don't mind paying....my point was tourists appear to be exempt from certain laws!!
smoggie
Dubai Expat Helper

because tourists dont know the laws of the city :D they are visitors.
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

rudeboy wrote:because tourists dont know the laws of the city :D they are visitors.

Neither did I mate and I've lived here 10 years
smoggie
Dubai Expat Helper

uaekid wrote:

You must have to much money kid, 24 x 200 = 4800, I can fly to London and have a good meal out for that.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

mostly the stupid radar fines. some times I'm only 1 or 2 k/h pass the legal speed... stupid cruise control
uaekid

uaekid wrote:mostly the stupid radar fines. some times I'm only 1 or 2 k/h pass the legal speed... stupid cruise control

:lol: Stupid you...

Let me give you an example of how technology works. 8)

Say the road speed limit is: 120 km/h

The dashboard analog speedometer has an mechanical inaccuracy or error of e.g. approx. of 5 to 10 percent of the speed dial reading (depending on car manufacturer) at 100 km/h. Digital display systems in the range of 1 to 5 percent. So what happens?

1. When your mechanical speedometer points at 130 km/h, you're actually driving at 119.6 km/h (true kilometers per hour at 8% average mechanical inaccuracy margin) and within the limits of the speed limit.

2. The radar systems are programmed to make sure every automobile is able to adhere to the speed limit on this type of road, despite different speedometer manufacturers specifications. So the radar system increases the true speed flash limit + 5 km/h (to only penalize the real perpetrators). :idea:

Conclusion:
From experience you noticed that you can drive 135 km/h before the flash gets you punished in your BMW E36, for instance, but this only works for your car given car type with the mechanical speedometer.

Now try using the same cruise control setting (135km/h) with another make or simply a car with a digital speedometer (e.g. ~3% digital error) and you are busted (flashed) everytime because you are driving at 131 true km/h, while the radar system only allows 120 + 5 true km/h.
RobbyG

will do robbyg , thanks .
uaekid

uaekid wrote:will do robbyg , thanks .

No thanks. Its a given. :P

b.t.w. Even a change in wheel configuration can make your speedometer system more (in)accurate.

For example, by changing rims from 15 inch (standard) to 18 inch. This results in an increase in wheel circumference and thus the distance travelled per wheel axle rotation increases. This larger circumference with 18 inch rims makes your speedometer more accurate as the greater distance travelled (speed) counters the mechanical inaccuracy of the speedometer system.

For digital systems it can even be negative. So that your sensor system needs a recalibration to display the right speed with a huge rim size change.
RobbyG

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat