Happy New Year!

Topic locked
Happy New Year! Mar 21, 2011
Mel tells me it was New Year celebrations in Iran last night so i just thought I would wish her Happy New Year on DF. I hope you had a lovely time with your family Mel, and that the New Year brings you happy times ahead.

And to Sym! Is it New Year for you too? I haven't seen you around on DF for a few days, I know there was talk of a Japan trip, most unwise I would have thought. But anyway, if you've gone I hope you come back with a glow from R&R and not Radiation!

Happy New Year if that's what you are celebrating today! :occasion6:

Me? I'm not sure what I'm celevrating yet, I haven't seen the news. Is the Colonel still in power? Have the Yanks wiped out a whole town with friendly fire? Is Dave walking round like ten men? Has the Arab League got cold feet and is back peddling? So many questions and it's only 6.12am!

Bethsmum
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: Happy New Year! Mar 21, 2011
Thanks for your kind wishes BM! :)

This is our spread for New Year, It has to b 7 different things which names start with "s" in Farsi and have a natural root, colored eggs, golden fish, candles and a mirror. I love setting this table every year:
CIMG3323.JPG
melika969
Dubai Forums Knight

A very Happy New Year Mel!!! Table looks lovely. Did you do the cooking yourself??
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Thanks Bora! :)
Actually there is not much cooking for setting that table. Just for baking pastries, that's a tradition in north of Iran to make sweets for New Years. Mom is a professional! I just helped a bit! ;)

The 7 "S" on the table is:
1- Sabze (Grass)
2- Sonbol (Hyacinth)
3- Seer (Garlic)
4- Sekke (coins)
5- Seeb (apple)
6- Sumac
7- Senjed (sea-buckthorn)

And gloden fish(Symbol of movements), Candles and mirrors (Symbol of light), Colored eggs (Symbol of fertility), Rics (Symbol of food), Sweets for sweetness of living!
melika969
Dubai Forums Knight

Heyy Mel...Saale-no-mubarak!!

Happy New Year Habibi.
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

Misery Called Life wrote:Heyy Mel...Saale-no-mubarak!!

Happy New Year Habibi.

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

President Obama, Nourooz 1390:
melika969
Dubai Forums Knight

Happy New Year Mel, lets hope you have a great one.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

More words from Mohammed, oops I mean, Barack Obama calling for regime change across the Middle East.

I know you are a bit of a rebel Mel! You becareful out there!
Bethsmum

Re: Happy New Year! Mar 22, 2011
Happy New Year Mel, the table looks lovely... I haven't seen such beautiful sweets for long :) the colored eggs we also have on the spring feast back home... good days ...
Mahmoud04
Dubai chat master

Re: Happy New Year! Mar 22, 2011
sage & onion wrote:Happy New Year Mel, lets hope you have a great one.

Mahmoud04 wrote:Happy New Year Mel, the table looks lovely... I haven't seen such beautiful sweets for long :) the colored eggs we also have on the spring feast back home... good days ...

:occasion7: Thank you guys!
melika969
Dubai Forums Knight

Re: Happy New Year! Mar 23, 2011
Mel, what's the story with the coloured eggs? What sort of eggs are they? We have coloured eggs at Easter, not chocolate ones, but what we call paste eggs. They are hens eggs boiled with onion skins to make them brown. I have no idea why we do it, but we do!
Bethsmum

Re: Happy New Year! Mar 23, 2011
Bethsmum wrote:Mel, what's the story with the coloured eggs? What sort of eggs are they? We have coloured eggs at Easter, not chocolate ones, but what we call paste eggs. They are hens eggs boiled with onion skins to make them brown. I have no idea why we do it, but we do!

These colored eggs are hen's eggs too. They are boiled, we color them ourselves with watercolor or color pencils.
Every part of this table is symbolic, as I said eggs are symbol of fertility.
melika969
Dubai Forums Knight

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat