From Shj - AUH, How Much Time Will It Take?

Topic locked
From Shj - AUH, How Much Time Will It Take? Mar 05, 2010
Hi guys,

I have a little question which i hope some of you maybe able to help me out with.

I need to go to AUH on a daily basis for a week. I am living in Sharjah. I have to reach there by 9am. What can i expect in terms of traffic? When should i leave? Which route should i take? Those shuttling back and forth from Shj to AUH daily, i would love to hear your experiences.

Any help will be appreciated.

Cheers,

oldmanyoung
Dubai Forums Member

Re: From Shj - AUH, How Much Time Will It Take? Mar 05, 2010
oldmanyoung wrote:Hi guys,

I have a little question which i hope some of you maybe able to help me out with.

I need to go to AUH on a daily basis for a week. I am living in Sharjah. I have to reach there by 9am. What can i expect in terms of traffic? When should i leave? Which route should i take? Those shuttling back and forth from Shj to AUH daily, i would love to hear your experiences.

Any help will be appreciated.

Cheers,

To be honest it is not a trip that I would envy, however I would recommend the following;

As soon as you can you need to get onto the Dubai By-pass road (E611) switch over to Sheikh Zayed Road close to the Dubai/Abu Dhabi Border (E77 / E311) and then on to Abu Dhabi (E11). You should plan to leave Sharjah 5:30 - 6:00am, traffic is now heavy all the way to Abu Dhabi, also watch out for the extreme speedsters on the Abu Dhabi side.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Hmm. Damn, it's going to be a long and stressful week. How about while coming back? If i leave at 4, how much time it would be before i reach Sharjah border (Nahda or whatever it's called)?
oldmanyoung
Dubai Forums Member

3-4 hours because you will be caught in two traffic jams. First is the one coming into Dubai from Abu Dhabi, although you might be leaving early enough to avoid the worst of it. Second is the one into Sharjah from Dubai.

Yes, the 611 road is the best to get around Dubai and Sharjah. You could consider using E311 (Emirates Road) from Al Qudra Rd (at Arabian Ranches interchange) instead of the E77 Road. Depends on how progress is on some of the interchange construction.

http://www.dubaifaqs.com/dubai-bypass-road.php
bonk
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

3-4 hours? Hmm. I visited Jabeel Hafeet a month or so back. I left that place at 6pm and comfortably reached home by 7:30pm. It wasn't even a weekend. So, i guess if i leave at 4, i shld be home before 6 or just slightly after 6pm.

Thanks for the tip though. I will mark those roads in my GPS.

More experiences welcome!
oldmanyoung
Dubai Forums Member

Dude! Jebel Hafeet is in Alain which is 170 km from AUH.

And alain is closer to dubai than abu dhabi to dxb.

At best if you leave downtown AUH at 4pm on a weekday, it will take you 1h 50 minutes to reach Al Nahda.

I have reached it in 1h 25m but thats after 10pm.

Also which part of AUh is ur work? If its near Mina , you can use the new causeway. Also if its in the suburbs and not actual downtown AUH, it will take less time
BlackburnRovers
Dubai Expat Helper

My work is on the brink of AUH. Near Khalifa Park i think.

I was just giving Jebel Hafeet as an example. I think Jabeel Hafeet - Shj is way more distance than AUH-DXB.
oldmanyoung
Dubai Forums Member

oldmanyoung wrote:Hmm. Damn, it's going to be a long and stressful week. How about while coming back? If i leave at 4, how much time it would be before i reach Sharjah border (Nahda or whatever it's called)?

If it's only for a week why don't you consider staying in a hotel in Abu Dhabi, thats got to better than 6 hours + driving every day.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

sage & onion wrote:
oldmanyoung wrote:Hmm. Damn, it's going to be a long and stressful week. How about while coming back? If i leave at 4, how much time it would be before i reach Sharjah border (Nahda or whatever it's called)?

If it's only for a week why don't you consider staying in a hotel in Abu Dhabi, thats got to better than 6 hours + driving every day.

Nah, don't think i can afford that. I will see if i can avoid going there altogether. It will be too taxing. Damn. There should be a single, one shot metro line to all the emirates connecting each other. :P
oldmanyoung
Dubai Forums Member

i work in AUH

i drive every day from SHJ , the Trip takes around 2 hr Max

do the following and everything will be fine :

1- drive from Shj to DXB using by Pass road ..Speed limit 120-140km

2- then from AL Khail round to SZR .120 but when you pass Dubai Marina you can do 140 km

3 - then to AUH . -- once you are in AUH , the speed limit is 160 km

good luck to you
naruto
Dubai Expat Helper

naruto wrote:i work in AUH

2- then from AL Khail round to SZR .120 but when you pass Dubai Marina you can do 140 km

good luck to you

Where do you live in Sharjah? How bad is the traffic? 2 hours is pretty decent.

I don't think i can push above 110-120km. I am too cautious, too scared and i have heard enough about the DXB-AUH road to even attempt. Will i be okay if i go at 110km?
oldmanyoung
Dubai Forums Member

oldmanyoung wrote:

good luck to you

I don't think i can push above 110-120km. I am too cautious, too scared and i have heard enough about the DXB-AUH to even attempt. Will i be okay if i go at 110km?

i live near sharjah Airport .
. .thats why i dont go through any kind of the daily traffic .
i leave home around 6:30 and reach office 8:30 or 8:45 . on the other hand if you are living near al TAWAON the timing will be little bit different so i recommend in that case you leave home bit early 5:30 am max to be able to reach bypass road at 6:00 am .

but with 110 km you will need 3 to 4 hr to reach AD

don't worry its not bad as people think .. i do recommend that you have enough amount of sleep and a cup of coffee in the morning to make you sober.
naruto
Dubai Expat Helper

naruto wrote:
oldmanyoung wrote:

good luck to you

I don't think i can push above 110-120km. I am too cautious, too scared and i have heard enough about the DXB-AUH to even attempt. Will i be okay if i go at 110km?

i live near sharjah Airport .
. .thats why i dont go through any kind of the daily traffic .
i leave home around 6:30 and reach office 8:30 or 8:45 . on the other hand if you are living near al TAWAON the timing will be little bit different so i recommend in that case you leave home bit early 5:30 am max to be able to reach bypass road at 6:00 am .

but with 110 km you will need 3 to 4 hr to reach AD

don't worry its not bad as people think .. i do recommend that you have enough amount of sleep and a cup of coffee in the morning to make you sober.

Actually, i don't mind leaving early like 6 am or something. Thousands of people do, and we have to work, i am no CEO to afford to come late. But i have issues about getting some after work relax time. I don't want to grind through with work, 3hrs rest, sleep, work and repeat. That would suck. It would be intolerable after a while. Hats off to those who pulls it off daily.

3-4 hrs is pretty bad. I don't know what i am going to do.

Okay how about this. Will i save time if i hitch a ride with a colleague from SHK Zayed Road? Like from Shj- SHK Zayed Road, then hitch a ride with a friend from SHK Zayed Road to AUH. Then AUH-SHK Zayed Road, and then pick my car up from SHK Zayed Road - SHJ?
oldmanyoung
Dubai Forums Member

Re: From Shj - AUH, How Much Time Will It Take? Mar 06, 2010
About two hours in the morning and the evening god help you. It is faster reaching dubai from Abu Dhabi than the onward journey to Sharjah from dubai. I did this for about a week and could stand it. It also didn't help that I had to do this twice a day. Just the salik and gas was screwing me over.

Moved to Jebel Ali Disco gardens then. Just consider your self lucky its only a week and not a permanent fixture. I would look into the option sage pointed out for bunking over at a hotel/frinds or relative place in Abu Dhabi or even somewhere in New dubai.

From discovery gardens to Al Futtaim/carrefour abudhabi. Takes excatly an hour. If you drive non stop with a steady speed of 110-115.
desertdudeshj
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Yeah, I'd consider moving to the Discovery Gardens or Sports City if I had to make the daily commute from Sharjah to AUH

The drive would be insane after a couple of weeks :cry:
KeithL
Dubai Forums Veteran

KeithL wrote:Yeah, I'd consider moving to the Discovery Gardens or Sports City if I had to make the daily commute from Sharjah to AUH

The drive would be insane after a couple of weeks :cry:

Hey Stranger, how have you been?
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Very well thanks O Wise One !!

How about you? :)
KeithL
Dubai Forums Veteran

Doing just gr8, just got back from a couple very enjoyable weeks in Texas.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Hmm. Guess i will hitch a ride with my friend. The main problem is stress. I have to put up with time wastage..can't help with that. Thankfully, it's only for a week.
oldmanyoung
Dubai Forums Member

Re: From Shj - AUH, How Much Time Will It Take? Mar 07, 2010
oldmanyoung wrote:I was just giving Jebel Hafeet as an example. I think Jabeel Hafeet - Shj is way more distance than AUH-DXB.

JH to Sharjah much easier drive than AUH-SHJ. Several ways to get into SHJ from Al Ain with less traffic than AUH-SHJ route. Distance in km probably similar.
bonk
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

AUH Downtown to Garhoud Bridge is 150 km, Jebel Hafeet to downtown Sharjah is 150km as well. On top of that there are very few traffic lights in Alain, so you can leave the city easily, whereas getting out of downtown AUH takes quite a bit fo time due to the numerous traffic lights.
BlackburnRovers
Dubai Expat Helper

BlackburnRovers wrote:AUH Downtown to Garhoud Bridge is 150 km, Jebel Hafeet to downtown Sharjah is 150km as well. On top of that there are very few traffic lights in Alain, so you can leave the city easily, whereas getting out of downtown AUH takes quite a bit fo time due to the numerous traffic lights.

Yeah, what's up with that? I had been to AUH a 6-7 months back and the traffic lights were as common as McDonalds. :P The government just loves 'em, don't they? Heh.
oldmanyoung
Dubai Forums Member

Al AIn loves its roundabouts
desertdudeshj
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: From Shj - AUH, How Much Time Will It Take? Mar 09, 2010
...and Fujeirah loves its speed bumps
farthestpoint
Dubai forums Addict

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat