Emirates Labor Laws Favor Employers, Can Trap Employees

Topic locked
Emirates Labor Laws Favor Employers, Can Trap Employees May 17, 2010
Bloomberg reports: http://www.clipsyndicate.com/video/play ... &wpid=7995

Beware of the risks of losing your job, when in debt or when you have a legal issue with your employer. You lose.

RobbyG
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: Emirates Labor Laws Favor Employers, Can Trap Employees May 17, 2010
the 3 trapped brits are trapped in bahrain, not in the UAE. i don't disagree with the draconian labor laws, but your title is a bit misleading. bloomberg has an agenda and they pushed it, however i fail to see the reasoning behind focusing on dubai and then highlighting 3 brits in bahrain. there's plenty here they could have chosen but failed to do so.
nuzbim
Dubai forums Addict

We can all watch a video Nuzbim. Let Bloomberg do the reporting. :D
RobbyG

I think anybody who has spent more than 5 sec in here already knows this. Unfortunately nowadays almost everybody knows someone who has lost their job and overdue on payments.

Even banks have realised it is more helpfull for them and they might recover some amount by keeping them out of the slammer and try to work out a deal instead. Bouncing a cheque and filing a case doesnt help anybody.

The brits mentioned are totally irrelevant and diffrent case to this issue. They are charged with collapse of a saudi bank and not someone who is trouble due to loss of employment and overdue debts. I don't even see why they were mentioned in this piece ?
desertdudeshj

Dubai is most known in the region. The Middle Eastern region favors employers over people. So, Bloomberg is warning us simple fooks that there is risk involved in taking on debt, legal issues against your employer etc.

This reporting is a spinoff from the British kiss incident. They are warning people for some of the risks involved of working in the ME.

A dark pit in the world, basically :D
RobbyG

desertdudeshj wrote:
Even banks have realised it is more helpfull for them and they might recover some amount by keeping them out of the slammer and try to work out a deal instead. Bouncing a cheque and filing a case doesnt help anybody.

Really? Try telling the banks that!

Better still, try telling the locals that as they continue to fill the nations prison cells with poor souls who have no chance of 'restructuring their debt' from behind bars without access to phone or legal advice. They do it because they can, like the tale of the scorpion and the frog crossing the river, its their nature.

Dubai World still manages to stay out of prison after bouncing the biggest one of all.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Knight
Dubai Knight

Re: Emirates Labor Laws Favor Employers, Can Trap Employees May 18, 2010
Well I know quite a few folks now where the collections agencies have gone beyond the we will send you to jail and being generally nasty to OK mate lets try to work this out. But not really huge amounts.
desertdudeshj

desertdudeshj wrote:Well I know quite a few folks now where the collections agencies have gone beyond the we will send you to jail and being generally nasty to OK mate lets try to work this out. But not really huge amounts.

I happen to know the limit is 12,000 dhs. After that its wave bye bye to your life and say hello to the big dude in the corner of the cell who is winking and curling his finger in your direction...

Knight
Dubai Knight

Dubai Knight wrote:
desertdudeshj wrote:Well I know quite a few folks now where the collections agencies have gone beyond the we will send you to jail and being generally nasty to OK mate lets try to work this out. But not really huge amounts.

I happen to know the limit is 12,000 dhs. After that its wave bye bye to your life and say hello to the big dude in the corner of the cell who is winking and curling his finger in your direction...

Knight

Finger in dyke anyone? :albino:
RobbyG

This is a ridiculous story and has nothing to do with Dubai / UAE.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Old news, even though things are improving with the wired salaries etc.

Still some way to go, just yesterday saw a news in which RAK taxi drivers were offered slightly lesser packages and asked to sign the new contracts or be deported. Thats a very uncivilized way of doing things, they should be offered, an in case they dont agree, they can leave employement, but why should they be deported like criminals for not agreeing to reduced terms ?
BlackburnRovers
Dubai Expat Helper

Dubai Knight wrote:I happen to know the limit is 12,000 dhs. After that its wave bye bye to your life and say hello to the big dude in the corner of the cell who is winking and curling his finger in your direction...

Knight

Well not really I know defaulters ( well I guess in Dubai everybody knows atleast a couple by now :D )in the range of anywhere 50k to over 100k and not having paid anything for almost a year now. And now the banks have started to negoiate and restructure the loans and CC bills.

I have on occasion talked to a few collection agencies on behalf of friends ( they got sick of them and just handed the phone over to me :D ) And after a good telling off either they didnt call back for a few months or were much nicer later on :P

Like I said banks ultimate goal is recover there money ( or atleast that what they are realising now ) or as much as possible. Once you go to prison you do your time in jail thats it. Bank doesnt get didly squat. And maybe after sending tons to the slammer they realised they are not getting anywhere with there money. So its better to negoiate. Sometimes even cutting of a huge chunk of the debt into a reasonable amount.

Yes they will act mean and all nasty and threatning BUT only if you let them.

A few banks have also given out loans and CC's to employees who were working then in "listed" companies without the dreaded security cheque. With out that they are toothless and I know of cases where some cheques have been deposited and bounced but still no case filed and banks asks for another cheque ??? Maybe the police are also fed up with this and not enternaing such claims unless big money is involed ( maybe over a couple of 100k )

Some banks are panicking and cashing in dud cheques left and right.

I guess it all boils down to how you handle them on a case to case basis. But I really don't know what the real deal is. I'm just saying what I know and see.

But also if you look at it from the banls perspective. There really have no real means of giving out a secure loan as the word collateral does not exisit here. Majority of the population here is on a temp basis and limited contracts.

So yes the laws here regarding this issue suck and yes there is dire need for reform to both protect the consumer as well as the banks.
desertdudeshj

desertdudeshj wrote:
have on occasion talked to a few collection agencies on behalf of friends ( they got sick of them and just handed the phone over to me :D ) And after a good telling off either they didnt call back for a few months or were much nicer later on :P

I thought I was the toughest dude on DF!!!

Sorry DD!!!

Send me your mobile number!!!

:lol: :lol:
Tom Jones
Dubai Forums Veteran

They are just silly whimps who know how to act tough on the phone.
desertdudeshj

Tom Jones wrote:
desertdudeshj wrote:
have on occasion talked to a few collection agencies on behalf of friends ( they got sick of them and just handed the phone over to me :D ) And after a good telling off either they didnt call back for a few months or were much nicer later on :P

I thought I was the toughest dude on DF!!!

Sorry DD!!!

Send me your mobile number!!!

:lol: :lol:

Try ringin' me on a saturday morning with the hangover from hell and you will learn the meaning of tough!

And a few new English expletives!

Knight
Dubai Knight

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat