Dubai From Google Earth, Outdated ?

Topic locked
Dubai from Google Earth, outdated ? Jan 10, 2008
Hi everyone,

I'm currently thinking to relocate to Dubai but never been there so I was trying to see what the different living area look like.

I came across some photos of the Green community, near the Dubai Investment park. Those photos looked amazing, with a lake, a lot of trees,...

Then I looked the green community on Google Earth, it's doesn't seem to be the same place! There are roads, houses and sands... but nothing green at all, no lake,...

So I'm wondering is Google Earth so outdated or are those pictures fake ???

So for those of you who know the area, please tell me what's really over there ;-) And if you have photos, it would be great!

By the way, is it a good place to settle ?

Thanks,
Nico

thenikoos
Dubai Forum Guest

Jan 11, 2008
Google Earth photos are outdated by at least a few years
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Jan 11, 2008
I think Google Earth is currently about 3-1/2 - 4 years out of date for Dubai
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Jan 11, 2008
Someone should write them.

But the truth is, I spoke to an aerial photographer a few months back and he said actually the reason why it was out of date because the companies licensed to aerial photograph the whole of the UAE want too much money for the images from Google.
^ian^
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Jan 11, 2008
It's all good. All the new projects are a couple of years behind schedule, so Google Earth is right on time after all :wink:
bonk
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Jan 11, 2008
Apparently, if you subscribe and pay the fee to Google Earth, you can get more up to date images.

As for a place to settle, it all depends what you do, who you work for and how much they are going to pay you. There are good factors and bad ones, like anywhere. Use the extensive search function in this here forum and you will probably get a whole load of useful facts.

Happy Hunting!

:D :D :D

Knight
Dubai Knight

Re: Dubai from Google Earth, outdated ? Jan 11, 2008
thenikoos wrote:Hi everyone,

I'm currently thinking to relocate to Dubai but never been there so I was trying to see what the different living area look like.

I came across some photos of the Green community, near the Dubai Investment park. Those photos looked amazing, with a lake, a lot of trees,...

Then I looked the green community on Google Earth, it's doesn't seem to be the same place! There are roads, houses and sands... but nothing green at all, no lake,...

So I'm wondering is Google Earth so outdated or are those pictures fake ???

So for those of you who know the area, please tell me what's really over there ;-) And if you have photos, it would be great!

By the way, is it a good place to settle ?

Thanks,
Nico

Hi Nico, if you are looking at Green Community specifically, it is completed and you have a small shopping centre nearby. I understand its difficult to get a rental there. All the best! Outside of the Green Community ie the rest of Dubai Investment Park (DIP) is still sands and projects under development. Traffic getting in and out of DIP is currently horrendous. Hope this helps.

p/s Google Earth is probably a lil outdated but not 3-4 years. Dont they update from the satelite regularly or how does it work?!
BabyDoll
Dubai chat master

Jan 11, 2008
p/s Google Earth is probably a lil outdated but not 3-4 years. Dont they update from the satelite regularly or how does it work?!

Sorry do disagree with you but I can confirm that 3-1/2 years minimum since the place where I am living was done, of this their is no question.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

BabyDoll wrote:p/s Google Earth is probably a lil outdated but not 3-4 years. Dont they update from the satelite regularly or how does it work?!

Less and less of Google Earth is actually satellite photography, most the blurry distance stuff is satellite though. The detailed stuff is actually composites of aerial photography put together, and bought off a number of companies all over the planet.

They then put this into a database of 'layers'... with the 'from space' layer being the most complete. As you then zoom in you go through a series of layers until you get down to 1 km... which is only available accurately on major cities of the world.

It's really quite interesting.
^ian^

Jan 11, 2008
Thanks for your answers !

So bad that google is so outdated, It would be interesting to see what it looks like now.

The company I'm applying to is located in the Dubai Investment Park, is the traffic really so bad over there ? What would be a good living location to avoid spending hours in traffic and with easy access to facilities (shopping malls, restaurants,...) Any advice ? Note that I don't know yet the accomodation allowance!

Thanks again,
Nico
thenikoos
Dubai Forum Guest

BabyDoll wrote:

As others have said, it's just aerial photos, not satellite. You can actually see the lines where the photos are joined. International City is shown half-barren and half-built, as two photos are joined. And Festival City still doesn;t exist in Google Earth, last I checked.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Jan 11, 2008
thenikoos wrote:Thanks for your answers !

So bad that google is so outdated, It would be interesting to see what it looks like now.

The company I'm applying to is located in the Dubai Investment Park, is the traffic really so bad over there ? What would be a good living location to avoid spending hours in traffic and with easy access to facilities (shopping malls, restaurants,...) Any advice ? Note that I don't know yet the accomodation allowance!

Thanks again,
Nico

This one is a no brainer.

You work in DIP, live in Green Community, you will be in heaven.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Jan 11, 2008
Why dont you try Google Maps instead?

:?
KeithL
Dubai Forums Veteran

Jan 12, 2008
Forget Google Earth, go to skyscrapercity.com and visit the UAE section(s), there are threads/topics for every single development you can think of, also, many people (Including me) upload pics regularly of different areas, projects, developments, etc. in town, so you will be updated more often ;)

Also, don't believe the marketing BS of the developers, some buildings are supposedly due to be handed over this year according to the developers, but they are not even being built yet! ;)
liverpool4ever
Dubai Expat Helper

Jan 12, 2008

Thanks again,
Nico

Your ideal situation would be to get a place in Green Community, good luck though. Despite the on-going construction, but that is Dubai everywhere, DIP is self contained. You have almost everything you need to survive within DIP. I pressume there is even a bar in the Marriott Courtyard?? I assume you are working in the industrial zone, traffic will be no problem for you within DIP.

If you cant get a place in Green Comm, you can try Springs, The Greens (different from Green Community) or Discovery Gardens.
BabyDoll
Dubai chat master

Jan 14, 2008
BabyDoll wrote:

Thanks again,
Nico

Your ideal situation would be to get a place in Green Community, good luck though. Despite the on-going construction, but that is Dubai everywhere, DIP is self contained. You have almost everything you need to survive within DIP. I pressume there is even a bar in the Marriott Courtyard?? I assume you are working in the industrial zone, traffic will be no problem for you within DIP.

If you cant get a place in Green Comm, you can try Springs, The Greens (different from Green Community) or Discovery Gardens.

Try a place behind GC called Ewan .. i have seen the flats there .. good once
saeedz28
Dubai Forums Member

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat