My Day/Your Day

Topic locked
My Day/Your Day Mar 30, 2011
Whilst I admire the posts by Dillon, MCL, Red Chief and Bora (and others!) in the political thingy and Berrin (bless his/her heart) in the religious thingy, I feel under qualified to contribute, and can only talk about the basics. Whilst I talk about my day, it's only a lead for you talk about your day. I want to hear about what you've done today. Here goes.

My Day

Well I awoke early! For the last few days BM has been hearing the sounds of silence. There aren't many times when things are quiet but when they have been, lately, I have had a buzzing in my ears. I awoke in the night to someone shoving (I can only describe) a red hot polker down my ear. I decided to phone in sick. Now BM didn't feel too guilty as she can't remember the last time she was ill.

After feeling sorry for myself for an hour or two I decided to utilise my day off and spring clean my holiday cottage. It's been quiet over the winter, but all hell breaks loose this Friday and it's looking booked up for the season. BM has been dusting, hoovering and scrubbing as if her life depended on it, whilst listening to Radio 2. They were discussing demonstrating during the Royal Wedding. I have to say, with the potential for 4 billion tuning in for the wedding, I would recommend that the Met arm all Police Officers and give them permission to shoot all students prior to April 29. Peace Be Upon Us on April 29. BTW I'm not a royalist and have booked my return flight from Dubai on that date, to miss all the fun.

Prior to heading to my cleaning job, I decided to defrost my freezer. BM is not really very domesticated and can't remember the last time she sorted her freezer out. Well I have a few sheep, and as farming in the UK goes, don't make a living from any of my cows/sheep/children, so I decided to get a man in. He came the other day and shot 3 of my lambs. Beth will never make the grade as a farmer's daughter, as when I anounced the arrival of the killer, she went out to kiss goodbye to our 2 day old triplet lambs. I had to point out that the big fat buggers in the other field were also lambs and that we wouldn't get many chops of those 3 scrawny little runts.
So BM has 3 sheep things hanging over her tumble dryer in the outhouse. The man is coming back to joint them tomorrow night. I'm going out.
Anyways, I also had a few texts from friends, one of them being from a very good friend in JBR who said she was returning from a job interview in Doha! NO WAY! She is my bestest friend in JBR, if she goes I will be missing a drinking partner on my holidays! Her husbands G&T's should come with a health warning! Don't go Jo!!!!
7pm brought a lovely phone call from a special friend. There is nothing like the sound of the voice of a friend. It makes you feel warm all over.
8pm brought England V Ghana on telly. BM hid behind her cushion for the first 30 mins as those lot looked as if they were gonna score. but Joe Hart (Man City!!!) saved the day and eventually Andy Carroll (Nutter, ex Newcastle, now Liverpool) scored his first goal for England, Sorted! Only for that Gyan to score on the 90th minute, Tosser. He plays for Sunderland. Sunderland are at Eastlands on Sunday playing Man City. He will get a kicking.

How was your day? :D

Bethsmum
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: My Day/Your Day Mar 30, 2011
Bethsmum wrote:Whilst I admire the posts by Dillon, MCL, Red Chief and Bora (and others!) in the political thingy and Berrin (bless his/her heart) in the religious thingy, I feel under qualified to contribute, and can only talk about the basics. Whilst I talk about my day, it's only a lead for you talk about your day. I want to hear about what you've done today. Here goes.

My Day

Well I awoke early! For the last few days BM has been hearing the sounds of silence. There aren't many times when things are quiet but when they have been, lately, I have had a buzzing in my ears. I awoke in the night to someone shoving (I can only describe) a red hot polker down my ear. I decided to phone in sick. Now BM didn't feel too guilty as she can't remember the last time she was ill.

After feeling sorry for myself for an hour or two I decided to utilise my day off and spring clean my holiday cottage. It's been quiet over the winter, but all hell breaks loose this Friday and it's looking booked up for the season. BM has been dusting, hoovering and scrubbing as if her life depended on it, whilst listening to Radio 2. They were discussing demonstrating during the Royal Wedding. I have to say, with the potential for 4 billion tuning in for the wedding, I would recommend that the Met arm all Police Officers and give them permission to shoot all students prior to April 29. Peace Be Upon Us on April 29. BTW I'm not a royalist and have booked my return flight from Dubai on that date, to miss all the fun.

Prior to heading to my cleaning job, I decided to defrost my freezer. BM is not really very domesticated and can't remember the last time she sorted her freezer out. Well I have a few sheep, and as farming in the UK goes, don't make a living from any of my cows/sheep/children, so I decided to get a man in. He came the other day and shot 3 of my lambs. Beth will never make the grade as a farmer's daughter, as when I anounced the arrival of the killer, she went out to kiss goodbye to our 2 day old triplet lambs. I had to point out that the big fat buggers in the other field were also lambs and that we wouldn't get many chops of those 3 scrawny little runts.
So BM has 3 sheep things hanging over her tumble dryer in the outhouse. The man is coming back to joint them tomorrow night. I'm going out.
Anyways, I also had a few texts from friends, one of them being from a very good friend in JBR who said she was returning from a job interview in Doha! NO WAY! She is my bestest friend in JBR, if she goes I will be missing a drinking partner on my holidays! Her husbands G&T's should come with a health warning! Don't go Jo!!!!
7pm brought a lovely phone call from a special friend. There is nothing like the sound of the voice of a friend. It makes you feel warm all over.
8pm brought England V Ghana on telly. BM hid behind her cushion for the first 30 mins as those lot looked as if they were gonna score. but Joe Hart (Man City!!!) saved the day and eventually Andy Carroll (Nutter, ex Newcastle, now Liverpool) scored his first goal for England, Sorted! Only for that Gyan to score on the 90th minute, Tosser. He plays for Sunderland. Sunderland are at Eastlands on Sunday playing Man City. He will get a kicking.

How was your day? :D

Well I for one enjoy your regular trivia, I think I would get bored pretty quickly if all the content on the Forum was of a political or religious nature!
Dillon
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Sorry, not much to tell. Work, eat and sleep the last few days. Pretty much preparing for a romantic getaway with the misses in a week in a half for a week, but so much work needs to be finished.
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

Well come back in a couple of weeks and tell us about your romantic week FD! I'm sure you'll have a story or two to tell us about that, knowing you :D All in the best possible taste of course!

Have a good time.
Bethsmum

Im in India at the moment, On vacation, Lounging around with my cousins, figuring out where Katrina Kaif ( famous indian actress) hangs out, If i can get rejected by her , I will manage to gain respect among many of my friends , wish me luck ;)
zubber
Dubai Forums Veteran

Flying Dutchman wrote:Sorry, not much to tell. Work, eat and sleep the last few days. Pretty much preparing for a romantic getaway with the misses in a week in a half for a week, but so much work needs to be finished.

Enjoy FDD. So, what you save on the phone bills you are putting towards your holiday and getting the real deal!!! :wink:

-- Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:54 pm --

Yesterday and today were "feel good days for me". Can't give much away, but did some helping out. Today, through my act of helping out, I met someone who I believe will become a good friend over time and she feels the same. She's "the real deal", nothing shallow about her, takes what life hands her, and I can tell you it's been plenty!!!, and being American doesn't hurt. :wink: First contact lasted 3 hours on the phone!!! That is an all time record for me, I can tell you that much. There is a saying: what doesn't kill you will make you stronger. This woman has and is going through some tough times and she deals with it - she can take lemon and make lemonade.

Helping out someone is a good feeling, but when you get a friend out of it is such a bonus!!

Speaking of gaining friends under unusual circumstances, when will you be in Dubai BM? :)
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Re: My Day/Your Day Mar 31, 2011
That's a nice story Bora! I'll be in Dubai from 18 to 29 April, so plenty of time for meet ups! I will be accompanied by Beth and her friend, so they will keep me amused and in return I will be watching them like a hawk. I will be able to escape from them though. They are good girls but the boys seem to like Miss Beth, she's a little minx.

Anyways, I've been to the funeral of one of my Aunts today in York. I have to say I wasn't that close to her and hadn't seen her for about ten years, That's families for you.
We, as a family, were always closer to my mum's side and it's only in the last few years that I have re-discovered my dads side.
I suppose you could call my dad's family disfuncional. It is quite a sad story really. There were 4 kids, to 3 different fathers. Quite an achievement for my Grandmother in the 1930's. :shock: All 4 kids were farmed out to different members of the family to bring up, so none had the benefit of their brothers and sisters.
In recent years I have become very close to one of my Uncles and his two sons, my cousins, and through them I met my cousin, whose mum's funeral it was today. It was for her that I went today and my dad aswell, I suppose.
My dad said he would drive to York, it's about a two hour drive and he insisted he didn't need my sat nav. What happened? Yes we got lost in York, we took the scenic route. My dad hates being late for anything and was getting in a bit of a panic when we had 15 minutes to find the place. He spotted a police car sitting in a lay by on the opposite side of the road and decided he would pull in, cross the road and ask for directions. It was quite a busy road and I was concerned he would be run over as he is getting on a bit, but there was no way he was going to let me go. So off he went, only to return without any directions. He had stumbled on some operation, there were armed and waiting for someone. They told him in no uncertain terms to get lost. LOL.
I ended up going into some filling station and was told the way. We arrived at the cremetorium and the service was obviously under way as no one was about.

'What's her name?' my dad asks
'Don't ask me, she was your sister' replies BM.
Well we were approached by a man with a black hat who mentioned a ladies name, I recognised the first name so said, yes please and we were showed into a room.
My dad says 'I don't recognise anyone!"
BM says 'don't panic, I do'
His sight isn't what it used to be.

It was a lovely ceremony, even if I didn't know what they were talking about and we all retired to the local pub afterwards for quiche, cheesecake and lots of drink. BM only had the drink bit.

There was a lovely song played when the curtains were closing on the coffin. I hadn't heard it for years.

Bethsmum

Re: My Day/Your Day Mar 31, 2011
I woke up an hour ago, I'm off from work this whole week. I'll go visit my grandma who's living 170 km away from Dubai, in a small mountainous town called Kalba. I'll have lunch with her and give her gifts from Thailand ;)

Then will go look up for good soil from the mountains to place it in our garden in our newly built house in Kalba to prepare it for planting 10 mulberry trees, which is one of my favorite trees :D

Then will drive back to Dubai, pass by the pets shop to buy my grey african parrots some food.
Then finally, spend time with my parents and have dinner together along with my brother & sister and his wife/her husband.

That's about it!
symmetric
BANNED

Re: My Day/Your Day Apr 01, 2011
Bora Bora wrote:
Flying Dutchman wrote:Sorry, not much to tell. Work, eat and sleep the last few days. Pretty much preparing for a romantic getaway with the misses in a week in a half for a week, but so much work needs to be finished.

Enjoy FDD. So, what you save on the phone bills you are putting towards your holiday and getting the real deal!!! :wink:

-- Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:54 pm --

Yesterday and today were "feel good days for me". Can't give much away, but did some helping out. Today, through my act of helping out, I met someone who I believe will become a good friend over time and she feels the same. She's "the real deal", nothing shallow about her, takes what life hands her, and I can tell you it's been plenty!!!, and being American doesn't hurt. :wink: First contact lasted 3 hours on the phone!!! That is an all time record for me, I can tell you that much. There is a saying: what doesn't kill you will make you stronger. This woman has and is going through some tough times and she deals with it - she can take lemon and make lemonade.

Helping out someone is a good feeling, but when you get a friend out of it is such a bonus!!

Speaking of gaining friends under unusual circumstances, when will you be in Dubai BM? :)

BB,

3 hrs on the phone!! My goodness!!! I barely can tolerate 20 minutes max on the phone, no matter who's at the end of the line!!

You're adorable, sweetheart.

You're a very kind person who goes out of her way to help others!

I surely can vouch for that -- from a personal experience!!!

God bless you, dear!!

Tom

------------------------------------------------

BM,

Do not give up, dear, on this deadly boring DF lot. They will come alive one day, I hope!!. Just keep posting.

I, for one -and as I told you before-, enjoy reading your posts even though I don’t comment on them!! Sometimes for being too busy and sometimes for being too lazy!!! And sometimes because I ain't got nothing to say!! :D :D

Cheers!!!

Tom

I must be in a good mood these days, talking so nice to everybody!!!. BM knows the reason!!! :)
Tom Jones
Dubai Forums Veteran

LOL! Thanks Tom. You have every reason to be on top of the world, long may it last :D

An average run of the day for BM today till this evening when my day was made by having a long conversation with someone special. I had managed to get through the day without upsetting anybody.

This morning I was set a task by Beth which I had to complete by lunch time.
Radio 1 announced the location of their BigWeekEnd. For those not familiar with Radio 1, it is the UK's national Pop station. Every year they have a pop festival thingy at some random location around the country and it's all free. This years location was announced yesterday and it was Carlisle!
Now there's not a lot that happens in this part of the World so Radio 1 coming to within 20 miles of us has become the local talking point. Never has a subject been more discussed at the Town Hall than when BM got drunk at the staff Christmas party, which is every year. When I finally leave, I'm not sure who they will talk about.

The artists have been announced for Saturday and Sunday and there are 10,000 pairs of tickets for each day. Last year there were 480,000 applicants. Lady Gaga is on, on Sunday but the best day is Saturday I reckon. Plan B and Jessie J are on amongst otheres, oh and the Foo Fighters. I've forgorren most of them already but Beth assures me this is going to be the bestest concert ever!
You must register for tickets by visiting Radio 1's website and registering your interest. One appication per email address/household.
Beth was all for me sitting up all night, poised, at the keyboard, ready to log on at 6.30am sharp. I wasn't going to be allowed to bed just in case I missed the alarm. Luckily for BM the website stated that it didn't matter if I was first or last to register, the tickets were allocated randomly, so I was able to retire in peace.

This morning came and horror of horrors I couldn't get on to the website! Poor Beth was nearly past herself.
Well there was texts flying about and Facebook was red hot with tales of who had tickets already despite the website saying that they wouldn't be allocated till April 14.
Beth went off to school with BM doing everything within her power to crack that bloody website.
I spent all morning setting fake email address up and utilising all addresses I could lay my hands on who wouldn't be wanting tickets of there own. I have managed to register 6 times so far.

God help me if she doesn't get tickets.
Bethsmum

Well, my day is drawing to a close. My computer clock says its 11:22pm. Its still not April though. I normally have a vague plan in place for any of my days. Today was no exception. But it was one that I was looking forward to.I would call a "special" friend; Instead of going to the office, I would stay and work from home. I would have the car looked at in the garage. Not in any particular order. I did all of those things, to the background of a very special and beautiful spring day. Its deceptive because I know what is happening to the human race elsewhere in Japan, the Middle East, and somewhere I have particular interest in, Afghanistan and the bordering Pakistani region. It is for this reason that I particularly avoided all the News channels on TV. Instead I surfed the channels and discovered some pretty bizarre human traits. In one, couples (husbands/wives/partners)brought their differences to the TV studios, and slugged it out in full view of the cameras. It was mostly about infidelities, and some even agreed to be subjected to the Lie Detector! And were proven to be lying through their teeth!! Perhaps all this excitement was too much for my brain, and I dozed off on the sofa. Incidentally, not a rare occurrence in my case, to the great chagrin of the other occupants of my house. When I got up, it was 6pm! Does time really fly? Then I went for a longish walk, up one mountain and down another, sometimes I do Golf, but not today. And then back. Looking back on this day, my high point was when I connected with my friend. In the end, its just the good people that really count. The people you love and who love you back.
zonker
BANNED

Hello Zonker! I enjoyed reading about your day, it sounded lovely! Had you had a couple of Chivas Regals at lunch? I must say I don't need alcohol to put me to sleep. My ex husband used to say I could sleep on a clothes line.
We, too, have a TV programme like the one you described. It's called the Jeremy Kyle Show and is on in the mornings on ITV. If I'm ever off work I put it on. Why do people put themselves through paternity tests on National TV? I've never got that! And who wants their husband being caught out doing the dirty with their sister in front of millions? In all the times I've watched that show I don't think I've seen anyone who was remotely attractive. All the low lifes are as ugly as sin!

Well my day's going ok, except that it's raining and bloody cold too. I've ventured across to the Deli and had tomato and red pepper soup for lunch. On the way back my very nice Burberry brolly (I'm a chav) got blown inside out. Oh the joy of English weather!

Beth has 3 friends staying tonight. I hope there isn't any more dance competitions. Her knee has only just recovered from the last one, but she still wears the bandage for the sympathy vote.
Bethsmum

Re: My Day/Your Day Apr 02, 2011
^^ Glad you liked it BM. No, I did not do any Chivas on this occasion. I have stronger stuff than that coursing through my veins now; tell you about it some other time. :wink:
Oh sorry about the Burberry Umbrella! I imagined you, and thought that was funny! :lol:
When I was in England, I lost count of the no. of my brollies that got mangled out of recognition; the attrition rate was that high.
And good luck with Beth's freinds! :D
Be warned that if you praise me too much for writing the above, you might tempt me to harangue you with another episode of another day! :alien:
zonker
BANNED

Re: My Day/Your Day Apr 03, 2011
Zonker, BM is intrigued!

I have googled Chivas Regal. I'm not a whiskey drinker myself, I only really like Chardonnay and gin (not in the same glass tho!) It appears that Chives Regal is between 40 and 80% proof. I don't know whether this is right but it's what google says. Compared to 15% for Chardonnay, it's rocket fuel!

Now what can you have cursing through your veins that's stronger than that? BM has had her thinking cap on!
The only thing that I can think that would be stronger than Chivas Regal is DESIRE!

Now it's a while since I felt that strongly about a man but not that long! It's a heady combination! I have to say that having a man in tow is better than any diet pill! Lust just takes your appetite away! I'm not sure whether it's the thought of him seeing your bum in the cold light of day or what but I always lose weight when i am 'in lust'.

Have you got a woman on the go Zonker???

Do let's hear about your day! Keep it clean Zonker, you don't want to follow BM on the naughty chair!

BTW it was a good night with Beth's friends, they were no problem! My only complaint was when I visited Facebook tonight. One of Beth's friends had got hold of her Blackberry and posted some very unsavoury comments in her name.
Apparantly Beth is claiming to like SMEG. Now I didn't like the sound of that so i googled that aswell. This is what I came up with:

Smegma, a substance that collects inside the genitals
Smeg (vulgarism), a fictional profanity used in the TV cult space sitcom Red Dwarf
Smeg (appliances), an Italian appliance company
Smeg (computer viruses), a computer virus construction kit
SMEG (menu editor), a menu editor for the GNOME desktop
Smeg, slang term for semen

Wait till I see that boy, he will feel BM's size 5's right up his backside!
Bethsmum

Re: My Day/Your Day Apr 03, 2011
Bethsmum wrote:Zonker, BM is intrigued!

.....Have you got a woman on the go Zonker???......

BM, I went through my post again. I did not find a mention there to a mystery woman! Maybe, using a woman's intuition and brilliant deduction, with some help from Google, you have arrived at this conclusion!! :D
I am impressed! :D
zonker
BANNED

Re: My Day/Your Day Apr 04, 2011
No need to be impressed Zonker! It was your reference to something stronger cursing through your veins that did it. What can be stronger than the love of a good woman, or man, in my case? I hope she's worth it Zonker!

Well it's been a funny old day at Casa BM today. It's Mothers Day in England, not sure if you do it in Dubai?
I didn't get a card, a bunch of flowers or anything :( A simple Happy Mothers Day would have done, but no, nothing, zilch!
I did point out to Miss Beth that a card would have been nice, she said she would make me one. She must have forgotten, I'm still waiting.
Bethsmum

Re: My Day/Your Day Apr 04, 2011
BM, she is worth it. She is really worth her weight in gold! And some diamonds thrown in, too :lol:
And sorry about the bad day at Casa BM. Hope its all behind you now. Mothers Day appears to be observed at different times in different parts of the world. Its in May where I am.
zonker
BANNED

Re: My Day/Your Day Apr 05, 2011
Zonker, I intend to give Mother's Day a miss in future. Actually I was made to feel a little better to day when my friend recalled her Mother's Day. She has 3 girls, one of 18, a student at Uni and twins, the same age as Beth.
She received a card from the 18 year old and whilst she appreciated it, she commented that it would have been nice to receive a bunch of flowers also. Her daughter immediately flew off the handle and ripped the card into 100 pieces!
The twins were given £15.00 each from their father to buy their mother a small gift. One daughter bought my friend a CD and gift wrapped it nicely along with a nice card. The other twin kept the money for herself! LOL!
Kids! They are vastly over rated Zonker!
To top it all, my friend, I'm also her boss, asked if she could have the afternoon off. Her eldest daughter's computer had packed up and she needed to take it to be repaired, she needed to go to the bank as her daughter was a bit short of cash and she needed a lift to the train station to go back to Uni.
I like those kids, they make Beth look good!

Anyways Zonker, I'm pleased to hear your lady friend is worth it! What a nice thing to say! I bet you are a proper romantic Zonker :love10: They don't make men like you where I come from!
Bethsmum

Bethsmum wrote:........They don't make men like you where I come from!

Yes, I know BM. I suppose I subscribe to the old school.
I dont know much myself, but now they say that you get more respect if you treat people like faeces.
Sometimes I am tempted to try and see if that might indeed be true?
zonker
BANNED

No! Don't do that Zonker :shock:
That makes you sound like an Emirati!
You stay just the way you are! You'll do for BM :D
Bethsmum

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat