Bank Payment Defaults

Topic locked
Bank payment defaults May 12, 2011
Almost every other person has a case registered against them for non payment of credit card bills and loans. How could the banks lend so much money knowing fully well that the borrower doesnt have the capacity to repay their bills

There should be a public interest case lodged against banks for encouraging people to borrow absurd sums of money and enticing them into a "credit trap"

Just today someone i know was stopped at the airport, while another had his passport confiscated by the CID

Someone else cannot tranfer her visa because she has a case registered against her and the overstay penalties are mounting daily

What a wierd system

KeithL
Dubai Forums Veteran

Re: Bank Payment Defaults May 12, 2011
The system may be weird, but that's the way it is in Dubai. Don't put the blame on the bank, the blame and responsibility is on the people who fall into the easy sell of credit/loans. The banks make it easy but they aren't holding a gun to anyone's head (not that I'm aware of!!!)

The banks don't care if you can or can't pay, it's up to the borrower to determine if they can. Not only is the ability to repay to be considered by the borrower, but also know that there is no such thing as job security.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Re: Bank payment defaults May 13, 2011
Drug peddlers and pimps dont hold a gun to your head either... normally

But action is taken against them isnt it?
KeithL
Dubai Forums Veteran

KeithL wrote:Drug peddlers and pimps dont hold a gun to your head either... normally

But action is taken against them isnt it?

Difference would be legal and illegal???
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Who's the judge of that?
KeithL
Dubai Forums Veteran

KeithL wrote:Almost every other person has a case registered against them for non payment of credit card bills and loans. How could the banks lend so much money knowing fully well that the borrower doesnt have the capacity to repay their bills

There should be a public interest case lodged against banks for encouraging people to borrow absurd sums of money and enticing them into a "credit trap"

Just today someone i know was stopped at the airport, while another had his passport confiscated by the CID

Someone else cannot tranfer her visa because she has a case registered against her and the overstay penalties are mounting daily

What a wierd system

I don't know the criteria here for lending except the salary, which could disappear once borrower gets sacked. In addition, there is neither any assert backing nor a credit history.

In contrast of pimp, I doubt that the banks enticed the people into "credit trap" deliberately because some defaulter make a runner for instance. I more blame unskilled personel, who let hazards slide and more keen in bonus in the end of a year than real performance of the bank.
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

KeithL wrote:Who's the judge of that?

Get real. In what civilzed country is dealing drugs and pimping legal??

As for Dubai, well, it's the law. Now, if you want to talk about Mexico................. :lol: :lol:
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

The key word there is 'Civilized'...

In some languages the word for 'Banker' is the same as 'Pimp'.

In Saudi one has to be careful as the word for a traditional ceremonial dinner made from baby goat is 'Haneeth'...but the word for pimp is 'Khaneeth'.

8) 8) 8)

Knight
Dubai Knight
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: Bank Payment Defaults May 13, 2011
I don't think anyone is saying that these people took this money with no intention of repayment, but it is how the law deals with people who get into financial trouble. Jailing somebody who is having trouble making their repayments makes no sense. You then take away their means of earning money. Also removing their passport from them is also illegal and again gives the debtor no chance of gaining employment and thus repaying the loan. I also think that most people would object to the way the law deals with debtors. After all the precedent has been set for them to renegotiate their debt over 8 years with interest down to 1.5%. Just shows you that if you owe the bank $1 its your problem, but if you owe the bank $1,000 0000 its their problem.
patience
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Of course it's taken with the intent to pay back the loan/credit card.

I get calls from my bank telling me that since I'm a valued customer they were able to give me a loan to cover my outstanding credit card balances (2 cards). Well lucky me!!! I get to clear up my credit cards, which I can use and start over from zero, and I have a bank loan. So, at the moment I now have 1 loan. But after using the cards again, which is more than likely, I will have 3 loans!!!! This bank doesn't even know that I haven't worked for almost 3 years. Do I have an income? No. Well, I do, but I don't think what hubby gives me would qualify. :wink:
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Bora Bora wrote:Get real. In what civilzed country is dealing drugs and pimping legal??

Huh...ehmmm...well...uhhh...
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

Flying Dutchman wrote:
Bora Bora wrote:Get real. In what civilzed country is dealing drugs and pimping legal??

That is without doubt the funniest thing I have read in recent times, either printed or online, there isn't an emoticon with enough meaning to display how funny I found that comment, I'm still laughing through the tears while typing.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Dillon
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Knight
Dubai Knight

Flying Dutchman wrote:

I said civilized!! It's not to say it doesn't happen - illegally. Geeeezzzz. Sorry Dutchman, forgot you lived in Amsterdam?????

@ Dillon: Glad I could cheer you up you miserable old git!!! :lol: :lol:
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

@FD I love you FD, you so make me laugh!

I said civilized!! It's not to say it doesn't happen - illegally. Geeeezzzz. Sorry Dutchman, forgot you lived in Amsterdam?????

Now Bora. I'm not too sure, by that post, whether you realise that not only is Holland, or is it the Netherlands, civilised, but that prostitution and soft drugs are perfectly legal. I think me and you need to have a stroll down the red light district of Amsterdam :D
Bethsmum

Bora Bora wrote:
Flying Dutchman wrote:

@ Dillon: Glad I could cheer you up you miserable old git!!! :lol: :lol:

My eldest Son doesn't call me Victor for nothing!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLNrLI3OBwg

:lol: :lol:
Dillon

I don't believe you!!!! :wink:

-- Fri May 13, 2011 5:04 pm --

Bethsmum wrote:@FD I love you FD, you so make me laugh!

Now Bora. I'm not too sure, by that post, whether you realise that not only is Holland, or is it the Netherlands, civilised, but that prostitution and soft drugs are perfectly legal. I think me and you need to have a stroll down the red light district of Amsterdam :D

Do you reckon we will get to see FD sitting in a window with his red heels on? :shock: Should that happen I would definitely need to head to the first cafe for a coffee and a few puffs!!!
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Bora Bora wrote:
Bethsmum wrote:@FD I love you FD, you so make me laugh!

Do you reckon we will get to see FD sitting in a window with his red heels on? Should that happen I would definitely need to head to the first cafe for a coffee and a few puffs!!!

A few puffs? Are you sure? :shock:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRfluaMKoOY

:lol: :lol:
Dillon

If nothing else Dillon, you got your sense of humor back!! :lol: :lol: No thanks necessary. :) :)
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Dillon wrote:
Flying Dutchman wrote:

That is without doubt the funniest thing I have read in recent times, either printed or online, there isn't an emoticon with enough meaning to display how funny I found that comment, I'm still laughing through the tears while typing.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol:

-- Fri May 13, 2011 7:16 pm --

Bethsmum wrote:@FD I love you FD

I love you too!

-- Fri May 13, 2011 7:25 pm --

Bora Bora wrote:Do you reckon we will get to see FD sitting in a window with his red heels on?

Not funny at all! ;-p

Although you are always welcome for the back stage tour. Guaranteed you will learn from the tricks of the trade from the experts that you never thought off before. A new world opens.

Last time I took a Jordanian I met in Dubai on a tour. Of course he wanted to see the RLD, they also do. He started talking to a lady of pleasure and started asking questions. Ten minutes later he wanted to walk away (they only talked). Lady got upset and demanded money for her time. Jordanian dude initially refused, until her "boyfriend" showed up. Time = money ! :lol:

Bora Bora wrote: Should that happen I would definitely need to head to the first cafe for a coffee and a few puffs!!!

With the current THC values, a few puffs will knock you out for half a day if you never puffed before.

Fun fact: smoking tobacco in a public place is banned under the smoking ban. Smoking pure cannabis is not. :shock:
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

Flying Dutchman wrote:Although you are always welcome for the back stage tour. Guaranteed you will learn from the tricks of the trade from the experts that you never thought off before. A new world opens.

Last time I took a Jordanian I met in Dubai on a tour. Of course he wanted to see the RLD, they also do. He started talking to a lady of pleasure and started asking questions. Ten minutes later he wanted to walk away (they only talked). Lady got upset and demanded money for her time. Jordanian dude initially refused, until her "boyfriend" showed up. Time = money ! :lol:

Bora Bora wrote: Should that happen I would definitely need to head to the first cafe for a coffee and a few puffs!!!

With the current THC values, a few puffs will knock you out for half a day if you never puffed before.

Principals of a lawyer. Every minutes counts!!! Can't understand why he had a problem with having to pay for it. Did he think the consultation was free?? or was she just out of his budget? :lol:

Do you remember my signature: sip, sip, puff, puff, carry on!!! :lol: :lol: Ahhhhhhhh, those were the days---when it was organic!!!!
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Bora Bora wrote:Do you remember my signature: sip, sip, puff, puff, carry on!!! :lol: :lol: Ahhhhhhhh, those were the days---when it was organic!!!!

Ah ok. Well you missed last 420 then. Some interesting new strains. Or so I have heard.
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

Re: Bank payment defaults May 14, 2011
Flying Dutchman wrote:
Bora Bora wrote:Do you remember my signature: sip, sip, puff, puff, carry on!!! :lol: :lol: Ahhhhhhhh, those were the days---when it was organic!!!!

Ah ok. Well you missed last 420 then. Some interesting new strains. Or so I have heard.

FD! What's happened to your avatar?

At the risk of derailing this topic, I have to admit I have had little contact with drugs. When I was 16 I met a lad on a night out in London, where I lived, at the time. He gave me some pills, which I believed were 'blues'. He took me back to his place. The only thing effect that the 'blues' had on me was that I wanted to do his washing up. I was 'hyper' but not in the way he expected :D
Bethsmum

Well the problem starts for things like paying rent! Where else in the world are you expected to pay for an entire year up front? And unless your company is paying for it, many people end up taking out loans just to pay that. Then of course you need to buy a car, the majority do this on HP - it's not always people taking loans and CC's willy nilly, but just to pay for the basics initially.

The problem is, there are no insurance payments that would cover you if you get laid off. Many people find themselves in an awful catch 22.

Yes, the banks were a major part of the problem, they used to call people offering all sorts of deals etc. Now thankfully the law has just changed and you can't get a loan or CC, unless you earn a certain amount a year.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Bethsmum wrote:FD! What's happened to your avatar?

Just trying new things.
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat