Author Of Thread Now Not Allowed To Read?

Topic locked
Author of thread now not allowed to read? Jul 01, 2009
I've just clicked on the 'The crazy drivers in Dubai' thread and was directed to a page which said special access had to be granted. Is this a public forum or a front for the information ministry of Iran?

Ruggedblond
Dubai Forums Member

Jul 01, 2009
Well if you say the magic word or words your thread gets moved to the fightclub here.
desertdudeshj
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Jul 01, 2009
desertdudeshj wrote:Well if you say the magic word or words your thread gets moved to the fightclub here.

And what constitutes magic words? Do you mean someone has replied to my thread and has said something controversial and now it's been moved?
Ruggedblond
Dubai Forums Member

Jul 02, 2009
For starters ur thread itself was pretty controversial. It was inevitable that some one would take a dig at locals and their famous driving skills.
And the mods gotta keep things in balance. One has to take into consideration local sensibilities, atleast that's what the Mods here are tryin to establish.
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jul 02, 2009
Misery Called Life wrote:For starters ur thread itself was pretty controversial. It was inevitable that some one would take a dig at locals and their famous driving skills.

You mean Like light the match and watch the fire grow kinda thing haha?!
Damn, It must have taken all of 3 weeks to get CIA classified status! So seeing as I'm the architect of such rebellious gossip how does one acquire the magic key?
Ruggedblond
Dubai Forums Member

Jul 02, 2009
You need 100 posts and then have to request access to FC from admin.

Cheers
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Re: Author of thread now not allowed to read? Jul 08, 2009
Ruggedblond wrote:I've just clicked on the 'The crazy drivers in Dubai' thread and was directed to a page which said special access had to be granted. Is this a public forum or a front for the information ministry of Iran?

I just saw that post it is accessible.
javedcn
Dubai Forum Visitor

Re: Author of thread now not allowed to read? Jul 10, 2009
javedcn wrote:
Ruggedblond wrote:I've just clicked on the 'The crazy drivers in Dubai' thread and was directed to a page which said special access had to be granted. Is this a public forum or a front for the information ministry of Iran?

You are mistaken by 'Chavaliers De Sion's' thread which is titled 'Crazy Drivers 2' as the original one named 'Crazy drivers in Dubai ...Is this reflective of other Arab countries' is locked and only available to a small amount of forum users who have access to 'The Fight Club' (not available to the person who started the thread and many who contributed)?! Kinda defeats the purpose of the forum. I guess it would be too obvious to give those who contributed to a thread a password to access the 'Fight Club' section instead of insisting they rack up 100 posts which explains why so many people on here make such random topics and non contributory out of context replies.
Ruggedblond
Dubai Forums Member

Re: Author of thread now not allowed to read? Jul 11, 2009
Ruggedblond wrote:
javedcn wrote:

You are mistaken by 'Chavaliers De Sion's' thread which is titled 'Crazy Drivers 2' as the original one named 'Crazy drivers in Dubai ...Is this reflective of other Arab countries' is locked and only available to a small amount of forum users who have access to 'The Fight Club' (not available to the person who started the thread and many who contributed)?! Kinda defeats the purpose of the forum. I guess it would be too obvious to give those who contributed to a thread a password to access the 'Fight Club' section instead of insisting they rack up 100 posts which explains why so many people on here make such random topics and non contributory out of context replies.

The reasons for moving it have been stated. We have to keep the public section of this forum as decent as possible because it is simply accessible
to anyone. I hope this clears the matter for you.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

[/quote]

The reasons for moving it have been stated. We have to keep the public section of this forum as decent as possible because it is simply accessible
to anyone. I hope this clears the matter for you.[/quote]

A rather autonomous explanation which doesn't cater to probably 80% of the forum users. As I stated earlier which WAS NOT ADDRESSED in the explanation:

Surely it would make more sense to allow the authors of posts to view their posts which have been moved to the locked part of the forum known as 'Fight Club'. The forum DEPENDS on people making new posts and these were never intended to be moved into some secret smoking room intended for the eyes of a few.

Often it is others who contribute to the thread and taking it a step further leading it into what the moderators deem to be risky territory. This is proven by the thread being fine for some 3 weeks and then being moved. Had it been deemed to be risky content from the author then it would have been moved into 'Fight Club' immediately. Instead of an autocratic standard reply like that of a politician perhaps the moderators could consider views and suggestions more dedicated to improving the forum for the majority and not the few. The current rule of users needing to place 100 posts before they can access 'Fight Club just encourages randon, meaningless and boring posts just to rack up the quota to access the full forum. Perhaps the moderators would prefer that the quality of the forum posts, replies and input be reduced instead of simply changing a privacy setting on the forum to include authors of threads to view those moved to Fight Club.
Ruggedblond
Dubai Forums Member

Ruggedblond wrote:

to anyone. I hope this clears the matter for you.[/quote]

A rather autonomous explanation which doesn't cater to probably 80% of the forum users. As I stated earlier which WAS NOT ADDRESSED in the explanation:

Surely it would make more sense to allow the authors of posts to view their posts which have been moved to the locked part of the forum known as 'Fight Club'. The forum DEPENDS on people making new posts and these were never intended to be moved into some secret smoking room intended for the eyes of a few.

Often it is others who contribute to the thread and taking it a step further leading it into what the moderators deem to be risky territory. This is proven by the thread being fine for some 3 weeks and then being moved. Had it been deemed to be risky content from the author then it would have been moved into 'Fight Club' immediately. Instead of an autocratic standard reply like that of a politician perhaps the moderators could consider views and suggestions more dedicated to improving the forum for the majority and not the few. The current rule of users needing to place 100 posts before they can access 'Fight Club just encourages randon, meaningless and boring posts just to rack up the quota to access the full forum. Perhaps the moderators would prefer that the quality of the forum posts, replies and input be reduced instead of simply changing a privacy setting on the forum to include authors of threads to view those moved to Fight Club.[/quote]

I am afraid this will go under the heading"You can't please all of the people all of the time"
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Jul 11, 2009
And as has already been stated, you require 100 posts and have to request permission to have access to Fight Club. So quit moaning and post some more.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

sage & onion wrote:I am afraid this will go under the heading"You can't please all of the people all of the time"

You might want to take a look at exactly how many threads are locked away before saying such a thing. 17 Threads on the first page of general discussion alone?! Hardly catering to the majority. You might want to change your phrase to 'But you can please the few all of the time'!
Ruggedblond
Dubai Forums Member

Jul 11, 2009
Chocoholic wrote:And as has already been stated, you require 100 posts and have to request permission to have access to Fight Club. So quit moaning and post some more.

Very autonomous. Would it aid your ego if I said please when I request permission to view Fight Club too?! Sorry, I'm just trying to fill the quota ...
Ruggedblond
Dubai Forums Member

Jul 11, 2009
can someone pass me the popcorn and 3d glasses. dont want to miss out on a cat fight :D

go pusssy cats :D
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jul 11, 2009
rudeboy wrote:can someone pass me the popcorn and 3d glasses. dont want to miss out on a cat fight :D

go pusssy cats :D

lol! I think Chocoholic can handle it and I'm sure her ego again will tell me so (or maybe not after I said it for her).

Sorry just filling the quota CH CHING Post No. 36?

Come on choca ...I need my 37th post! Can some of the regulars here PM me about what really rattles Choca's cage or would that be Machavelian?!

C'MON, BRING IT, BRING IT ON :o
Ruggedblond
Dubai Forums Member

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat