To All That Are Computer Savvy!

Topic locked
To all that are computer savvy! Nov 10, 2008
Hello all,

I'll be in Dubai by mid january and will be needing a computer to work/access the internet/play games etc I'm under the impression that laptops/computer parts are more expensive than here in Canada.

I can get the new macbook pro here for 2149+taxes wich amounts to about 7300 dirhams. Can anyone tell me how much they go for down there? specs are 2.4ghz core 2 duo, 2GB DDR2 RAM, 250GB hard drive, and 256mb GeForce 9600GT.

I was also wondering about computer parts. Are they readily availaible in Dubai? If so how does choice and pricing compare to north america/europe? I was thinking of maybe building my own killer machine and if the parts are cheaper here then I'll bring them over, buy a computer casing, and put the computer together down in Dubai. (I might build a Quad core 2.4ghz with 8gb DDR2 ram, 1 terabyte harddrive, and SLI video card setup) :lol: :lol: :lol:

Pimpin80
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Nov 10, 2008
The MacBook is about 8000Dhs here so bring from Canada but make sure you have the international warranty. There is an Apple service centre here and a very helpful helpdesk.

A quick trip to 'Computer Plaza' will get you all the gits and bobs you need to build your killer games machine. The spec you have there should set back about 5000Dhs. Not sure if they have the quad core platform here yet but definitely can get the duo.

8) 8) 8)

Knight
Dubai Knight
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Nov 10, 2008
so the macbook pro is about the same price as here, good to know. However the parts seem a tad more expensive, I could build the same configuration here for about 4200aed right now and right after boxing day (dec 26th) I'll probably be able to get it for about 3400aed excluding a display of course, but I already have a nice one and I'm packing it in my luggage!
Pimpin80
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Nov 10, 2008
nopes...that was for macbook not for macbook pro...

no idea about in canada....

its a lot cheaper in the US than in dubai.....
sharfraz
Dubai chat master

Nov 10, 2008
You can get quad core here, i built my own pc with my dad and its a quad core water cooled machine.
Waqsy
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Nov 10, 2008
pimpin i might be able to help you out with a computer which is for mobile professionals such as doctors, engineers i.e ppl who are always on the move in tough enviroments. So if your job involves being on the move alot where you have to access the net then let me know, will be more then happy to help you. Mind you price is a bit expensive but thats only because its a RUGGED laptop meaning you can throw it from the 1st floor and nothing will happen to it, pour water on it or tea nothing will happen to it. I am sure you cant do that to macs or even commerical laptops out there.
motion
Dubai Forums Member

Nov 11, 2008
Motion: I assume you are talking about Panasonic Toughbooks! They are great laptops, the police, military and construction people use them here and they are tough! A little overpriced for me though, and I don't like the ultra low voltage processors they use in them. They will probably have the Acer Aspire One with 1.6ghz Atom, 1gb ram, 160gb hdd and 9" for a good price on boxing day so I might get one of those.

Waqsy: Wow nice I've always wanted to try liquid cooling but was always scared water will spill inside my case. How much did that pc run you and what are the specs on it? Are you running liquid cooling because your cpu is massively overclocked? What temp is it running at idle/under full load?

Damn I almost feel like bringing 5 or 6 or these Acer Aspire One laptops and selling them in Dubai. Do you guys think I could sell them pretty fast for about 2500AED a piece? It's a nice little machine with windows xp that weights 2.2 pounds (1kg)
Pimpin80
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Nov 11, 2008
hey pimpin no its not the panasonic toughbooks. although they are GREAT they are bulky. I am talking about something which weighs 1.5kg and is slim as a mac book but is rugged as the panasonice toughbook.

the processors are intel centrino processor technology with intel core 2 Solo processor 1.20 Ghz whereas the other model is using intel core 2 duo processor 1.5ghz.

have a look at www.motioncomputing.com. carry the laptop anywhere with you and instead of typing with a keyboard, you can easily write on word using a styrus or even write emails with a styrus.

Its a great tool for graphics ppl as it lets you draw freehand. I have got the tablets here in the UAE so would be more then happy to give you a demo of it.
motion
Dubai Forums Member

Nov 11, 2008
If you are capable of giving me a demo free of charge I'll be more than glad to promote your product to everyone around me, including my coworkers! :lol:
Pimpin80
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Nov 11, 2008
usually demos are free. we go visit a potential client and show them the capabilities of the motion computing.

have a look at this link. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Affc9NJR ... re=related you can draw free hand with the motion tablet. just use the styrus and do your drawings. But you will need a special software for the drawing called Sketchbook pro something similiar to Photoshop but its for pen based movement.

another link showing how rugged the motions are.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQhKrgM1 ... re=related another link showing that nothing happens to it while you pour water on it.

I would be suprised if your macbook or laptop will be able to survive such tests.
motion
Dubai Forums Member

Nov 11, 2008
Pimpin80 wrote:
Waqsy: Wow nice I've always wanted to try liquid cooling but was always scared water will spill inside my case. How much did that pc run you and what are the specs on it? Are you running liquid cooling because your cpu is massively overclocked? What temp is it running at idle/under full load?

I'm sure it was at least 3000-4000dhs but can't remember we bought alot of other hardware also.

The main specs are:

Intel Quad Core 2.4Ghz
8GB Ram
Geforce 9000 series GPU - 1GB
2* 1TB Hard Drives.

And of course liquid cooled.. The system is not being overclocked right now but now and then I do it. I wanted to cool it this way because now the system is much quieter and also less temp.. im not sure what it runs at when under stress, but the core temp can be as low as 23C.
Waqsy
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Nov 12, 2008
Waqsy: Wahhhhh 23c is COOL man, my current air cooled cpu runs around 44c and it's far from beeing a quad core! Nice specs though, I'm sure you can RIP through anything demanding with that kinda machine!
Pimpin80
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat