What Do You Mean By Car Maintenance?

Topic locked
May 23, 2009
Yeah, ok, scam is too harsh a word. It's a business model, but I think it's deceptive.

It's a business model build around tricking the public into thinking they are getting a good deal on a car with a long warranty, but without telling them the warranty is nothing more than a 'service contract' like you get with a mobile phone.

I just find it funny how no one else seems to have noticed this change over the last few years.

Buyer beware I suppose.

Captain Australia
Dubai chat master

May 23, 2009
Do we (the buyers of new cars) even have the choice for NOT to get service in authorized dealer? Suppose we don't opt for maintenance service contract, the moment they find out that we get the service ourselves or third party (for cheaper/better), they could void the warranty! Moreover there's "value" also to keep service history at authorized dealer when selling the car. So again, do we even have the choice (for new cars)?

I had a thought to get second hand car (out of warranty) instead on next purchase, when I planned to upgrade electric+audio for speakers+amp+sub of my first car bought from new (but canceled because afraid of voiding the warranty). So I was stuck with rubbish stock audio :(
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

May 23, 2009
That's the scam (Ok I can't use the word scam anymore), but that is the deal. Just think of buying a new car like buying an iPhone, you're locked to a plan.

I know, some places offer to service with it being Halal with the warranty, but they are just in on it too. There is NO WAY the companies would offer these low prices if they were not getting the money back on the services.
Captain Australia
Dubai chat master

May 23, 2009
A friend of mine keep going to official dealer for service regularly only for service history, not due to threat of severe breakdown. He guesses that his car will have better resale value with all appropriate notes in the sevice-book. Otherwise future buyer would think that the car don't have any single service (changing oil and filters). As soon as I estimated mechanical conditions of some second-hand cars his words don't sound so weird.
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

posting in Dubai AutoForum Rules

Return to Dubai Auto