Urgent! Fixing Scratched Bumper

Topic locked
Urgent! Fixing scratched bumper Nov 04, 2006
Great! What a day! I have to return my rented car in few days and this afternoon when leaving office I found my car got deep scratches (about 20x10 cm) on the back bumper by other car.

Does anyone know where and how much approx for fixing it quickly (repaint partially)? The car is 2005 Lancer GL, metallic red color. Or worst case, how much to buy/replace the whole bumper? Whatever the cheapest than 1000 AED I need to pay for collision/damage to the rental company :(

When I was in Bahrain, I fixed similar case for 15 BHD (about 150 AED) and I can wait only for 30 minutes work. Off course I need to wait a little longer for the paint to completely dry.

xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

Nov 04, 2006
what you worried about, its a damn rental.

Call the cops, get them to fill out a Accident report. You should get the green form, as it was not your fault, then take it to the rental company, hand in the car and the green form and walk away.

Also, call the rental company and tell them what happened.
yorky500
Dubai forums GURU

Nov 04, 2006
yorky500 wrote:what you worried about, its a damn rental.

Call the cops, get them to fill out a Accident report. You should get the green form, as it was not your fault, then take it to the rental company, hand in the car and the green form and walk away.

Also, call the rental company and tell them what happened.

Would it be too late to call the next days? Also, I opted not to pay for extra CDW (collision & damage waiver) of 150 AED to the rental company because I thought I wouldn't hit someone/thing. Would that be Ok (don't need to pay 1000 AED) if I reported to police?
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

Nov 05, 2006
Whatever happens, it will cost you far less than Dhs 1000 to get it fixed, unless the rental agency tries to screw you (which is not uncommon).
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Nov 05, 2006
Call the cops, get a Accident report, it should be OK to call a day after. You should get the green form as it was not your fault. Take it to the rental company and give it to them. You should have to pay nothing as it was not your fault, you should only pay the excess if it was your fault.
yorky500
Dubai forums GURU

Nov 05, 2006
Ok, just got the green form from the police.

Now what do you suggest? Make a small repair in garage without informing the rental company (the cost will mostly be a lot less), or just inform them (gambling whether they will still charge me 1000 AED for damage or not). What will mostly be?

Any recommendation on good, cheap, quick garage?
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

Nov 06, 2006
Guys, even if you get the green form if it does not state an at fault party then the insurance/car rental places consider it an "own damage" claim - ie you pay!

Bring it to a paint shop and have it spot sprayed - around 100-200dhs.
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

Nov 06, 2006
XRW-147 wrote:Guys, even if you get the green form if it does not state an at fault party then the insurance/car rental places consider it an "own damage" claim - ie you pay!
Bring it to a paint shop and have it spot sprayed - around 100-200dhs.

Will try to fix it today as tomorrow I need to return the car. Any recommendation of good paint shop in Dubai? Better near office in DIC or somewhere in Satwa/Bur Dubai.
However, do you think the rental company will still know it (e.g. the car's accident report from the police)?
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

Nov 06, 2006
xty wrote:Will try to fix it today as tomorrow I need to return the car. Any recommendation of good paint shop in Dubai? Better near office in DIC or somewhere in Satwa/Bur Dubai.
However, do you think the rental company will still know it (e.g. the car's accident report from the police)?

If its just a rental and you're after a quick turnaround I wouldn't fuss too much on the "quality" of the repairer. Most collision repair shops in Al Quoz can take care of a simple bumper scratch.

If you're paying cash cash then the rental company won't need to know.
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

Nov 06, 2006
This ia all rather strange, have to admit.

had a similar thing happen to us. Somebody reversed into us (a hire car) and drove off. we came back to the car, saw the dent, called the cops. Got the green form and took it to the Car Hire. Had to pay jack sh1t for any repairs or excess!
yorky500
Dubai forums GURU

Nov 12, 2006
Updates:
In the morning before returning, I went to a car paint shop in Al Quoz 3 area for some urgent paint. As they know that it's urgent and my stupidity to inform that it's a rented car (probably they'd notice anyway from the rear window sticker), they charged 350 AED for full rear bumper paint (metallic red). They don't want (or can't?) paint partially. No choice, better than to pay 1000 AED. Paid, taken after just 5 hours, and returned safely :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

Nov 12, 2006
xty wrote:Updates:
In the morning before returning, I went to a car paint shop in Al Quoz 3 area for some urgent paint. As they know that it's urgent and my stupidity to inform that it's a rented car (probably they'd notice anyway from the rear window sticker), they charged 350 AED for full rear bumper paint (metallic red). They don't want (or can't?) paint partially. No choice, better than to pay 1000 AED. Paid, taken after just 5 hours, and returned safely :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Heh, so you reported it AND got it fixed too, eh.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Nov 12, 2006
XTY: 350 for bumper paint is not bad, not bad at all.....
hosrom_951
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Nov 12, 2006
gtmash wrote:Heh, so you reported it AND got it fixed too, eh.

Well, just prepared the worst case (in case I couldn't get the car repainted). And I heard some car paint shops also ask for police report. Fortunately, the one I get didn't ask it.
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

posting in Dubai AutoForum Rules

Return to Dubai Auto