Mitsu EVO

Topic locked
Oct 17, 2006
Didnt realise that was scarcasm icon, rather a humbled one. So is that a yes or no, ive only been in one Evo before and a chance to go in another i would jump at.

I like to keep my car stock, y? because i dont know jack about modifications, and dont have the money for either trial and error, or for the parts and labour.

The Evo is impressive and fast enough at Stock level, for myself anyway.

But if your around town..........

:wink:

blangs
Dubai Forum Visitor

Oct 18, 2006
hosrom_951 wrote:Here is a lesson for you....

Innovative Motorsports, a worldwide company that manufactures widebands, had one of their tech guys talk about running rich:

http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/resources/rich.php

Read that, it will make you re-consider

Secondly, to be very honest with you? i do NOT trust anyone here, since the timing/fuel maps are all generally based, theyr do NOT know that every engine varies. NO two cars are the same, even if you have an EVo chassis number xxx067 and you get the xxx068 chassis EVO, that engine would be different. We are talking minor, but it is these minor differences that make or break and engine.

Secondly, did you go to the dyno? did the 'tuner' sit for 8+ hours and adjusted the maps? i don't think so....

I gained 137ft-lbs in torque in my car by adjusting the timing, but only AFTER 6 hours on the dynojet. Costed me over Dhs 2,000 just for the dyno runs, but when i gained that much torque, and 89% of that torque came on 300rpms sooner, the car just pulls like a train from 2,400rpms onwards.

Now, i am sure i could really squeeze things, and really get into the timing, but rule of thumb is ' the higher the performance you want, the smaller the window of reliability gets'. Hence why F1 cars are fighting over milligrames to shave off, to gain 0.1% power, and have an engine fail just seconds after a race.........

It's you're money, you're car and you're time.....i screwed up big time and threw a rod out of the block, causing a 8" hole in the block, due to my tuning mistakes, but instead of being all pissed off about it, i took it as a learning curve and started fresh and learned a LOT.

Hey the car isnt actually in Dubai its in Australia. Im just in the process of moving to Dubai. So its tuned by an Australian bloke who started out building V8s 30 years ago. He still builds engines himself - hes not like one of these blokes that only know how to bolt on parts and if the parts don't fit together can't do anything.

The car was dynoed for two hours. Then I went and got it independently dynoed and told him to take a couple degrees out because there was a tiny rattle in the bottom end. The rattle is now gone and the car has been driving in that tune without problems for the past 18 months.

I agree that as you squeeze harder reliability goes out the window - I blew a transfercase on the weekend by launching at 6kpm with semislicks on VHT with a 3600 pound clutch. As it turns out something had to give and it was my front diff :lol: Fortunately its a hit that I can take - thats racing and things break. But I might give the drag racing a rest for awhile nonetheless :lol:
boomtown
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Oct 18, 2006
Living up to your nick - "boom" :lol:

Why didn't you use the launch control?
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

Oct 18, 2006
Wasnt so much a boom as a bloody great bang. But yeah. Launch control. *cough* Its not set up yet. Will be now. At like 4500rpms.... Now looking at a PPG dogbox. Or Holinger. No point in upgrading the transfercase only to blow the gearbox and root the new transfercase as a result.

Anyone have views on PPG v Holinger? Sheptrans costs more so I don't see an advantage going with them.
boomtown
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Nov 06, 2006
Holly over PPG any day of the week. PPG claim "unbreakable" but trust me, its not hard to achieve that.
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

Nov 06, 2006
I have owned few EVOS and I race cars here in the US around the circuit track. If you have any questions PM me or visit evolutionm.net
Az3ar
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Dec 28, 2006
sorry to bring an old thread back to life, but how much do evo's go for in dubai? I wasnt able to find any on the dealer websites, and the mistu site doesnt sell them in dubai, but in qatar. Any #'s? Thanks
asdfasdf128
Dubai Forum Visitor

Dec 28, 2006
They do sell them in Dubai, but when you buy the car it does not come with a "stealership" warranty.

Think they run at around Dhs140K or so.
yorky500
Dubai forums GURU

Dec 31, 2006
hosrom_951
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Dec 31, 2006
hosrom_951 wrote:http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthread.php?t=188126

Nice info right there!!

Wow. Looks like Mitsus still aren't that reliable.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Jan 01, 2007

Nice info right there!!

pretty much every car has issues. Its not surprising.
asdfasdf128
Dubai Forum Visitor

Jan 01, 2007
asdfasdf128 wrote:

Nice info right there!!

pretty much every car has issues. Its not surprising.

Engine issues in modern cars cannot be dismissed easily, especially when a company has been developing the same motor for years.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Feb 15, 2007
DUBAI gents.

What is the public opinion on having a shop that specialized in modifying EVO's ? Or having a person in Dubai that can do it?

I am a mechanical engineer that just recently graduated from Virginia Tech. I also am a resident in Dubai. I have a few job ops in dubai but i really want to spend my time working on cars and building cars. Ive worked on a few Evos and i know the 4g, and her potential. I also design suspension systems, and understand the complex geometry, kinematics and dynamics of track driving.

What do you guys think? Worth while? or is there any competition in the area that does reliable work?

Cheers
mechaniki
Dubai Forum Guest

Feb 18, 2007
gtmash wrote:

Nice info right there!!

Dunno what you are on about... Evos are some of the most solid cars money can buy, ESPECIALLY at the price and power...

My IX is tuned from 280 to nearly 370 hp for almost a year now with not a single problem... I boost anywhere from 1.4 to 1.6 bar peak...
Mods:
- JIC exhaust
- Walbro Fuel Pump
- K&N air filter
- pre-cat-delete downpipe
- remap

Also in our forums, there is barely any complaints...

To the Thread-Starter:
Hard to find a good, used evo... If you choose to do it ask how it was cared for and what exactly the person did with it... If they can't give you a descent answer, or don't know what they are talking about, skip it!

Also consider waiting for the X to come out, even though that will be a whole new animal, hopefully in a even better way...
mcbrite
Dubai Forum Visitor

Feb 18, 2007
mcbrite wrote:
gtmash wrote:

Nice info right there!!

Dunno what you are on about... Evos are some of the most solid cars money can buy, ESPECIALLY at the price and power...

My IX is tuned from 280 to nearly 370 hp for almost a year now with not a single problem... I boost anywhere from 1.4 to 1.6 bar peak...
Mods:
- JIC exhaust
- Walbro Fuel Pump
- K&N air filter
- remap

To the Thread-Starter:
Hard to find a good, used evo... If you choose to do it ask how it was cared for and what exactly the person did with it... If they can't give you a descent answer, or don't know what they are talking about, skip it!

Also consider waiting for the X to come out, even though that will be a whole new animal, hopefully in a even better way...

Your turbohose popped off in the middle of a track.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Feb 18, 2007
Jep.... Nothing you can't fix with a normal Phillips-Screwdriver...

Not just any track, either... The Nordschleife is 21km long!!! It popped at km 4!!! So I had to finish the last 17 (!!!) km without boost!
If you ever tried to drive a turbo-car, without using the turbo, you know what a pain in the ass it is... :lol: Popped off 3 more times before I had the chance to fasten it securely again... :roll: :lol:

PS: The 4G63 is one of the best motors around and solid as a ROCK, if you treat it right, and have at least half a brain...
mcbrite
Dubai Forum Visitor

Feb 19, 2007
mcbrite wrote:If you ever tried to drive a turbo-car...

I have a Supra TT.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Mar 06, 2007
asdfasdf128 wrote:sorry to bring an old thread back to life, but how much do evo's go for in dubai? I wasnt able to find any on the dealer websites, and the mistu site doesnt sell them in dubai, but in qatar. Any #'s? Thanks

Habtoor along SZR has one remaining unit in white for AED132500. Next shipment will arrive in April.
ghoonk
Dubai Forums Member

Mar 06, 2007
mcbrite wrote:
gtmash wrote:

Nice info right there!!

Mods:
- JIC exhaust
- Walbro Fuel Pump
- K&N air filter
- remap

To the Thread-Starter:

I would like to see some dyno charts to back up that claim. First off, the Evo does not have 280 whp. At the engine, maybe, but definitely not at the wheels.

You listed your mods as
- JIC exhaust
- Walbro Fuel Pump
- K&N air filter
- remap

and claim 370 hp. It is common knowledge in the Evo community that this setup, with the removal of the restrictor pill or with a boost controller, and running at 1.5 to 1.6 bar will not give you 370 bhp. With a properly dialled in mbc, you might get 340 whp at best

Buschur Racing Stage 3 Evo IX with cams does only 361 whp.

I don't know who told you that you're getting 270 hp with your setup, but I think you're either referring to crank hp (in which case, you're probably doing around 320 atw at best)
ghoonk
Dubai Forums Member

Mar 06, 2007
blangs wrote:I saw a Silver EVO today in Deira and i just cant wait much longer.

Did it have black door handles? IIRC, there are very few silver Evos in Dubai
ghoonk
Dubai Forums Member

Mar 10, 2007
-JIC exhaust
- Walbro Fuel Pump
- K&N air filter
- remap

unless you adressed the whole exhaust (headers, x-over, downpipe, testpipe and cat back), and you have installed a larger fuel pump........which is pretty points less and a good waste of money, since the injectors are still not allowing the extra fuel to get into the engine (due to their size) AND the fuel pressure is not changed (need a adustable fuel pressure regulator, or a 3.0bar fuel pressure regulator with the SAME mapped chips).

All in all, the best mods you have done were the re-mapping ecu and exhaust. Throw away that K&N, it doesn't make a difference besides a louder intake (i have dyno tested them).

Im not a evo guy, but i know what the ball park should be like.......and those mods are not even near you're claimed 370Bhp or even 370whp. Unless you are running race gas (or higher octane gas) and some really agressive timing.
hosrom_951
Dubai Forums Frequenter

posting in Dubai AutoForum Rules

Return to Dubai Auto