Importing A Jeep From The US And GCC Specs

Topic locked
Importing a Jeep from the US and GCC specs Jun 19, 2007
Hi,
I'd like to import my car, a 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, from the US to Dubai. How can I find out if it meets GCC specs? Does anyone know what GCC specs are??

I don't want to buy a new car or rent one, because I have this one at home in the states just sitting in the garage and its in very good condition.

And finally, does anyone know approximately how much insurance would cost on a vehicle like this on an annual basis? Thanks!

jenji
Dubai Forums Member

Re: Importing a Jeep from the US and GCC specs Jun 19, 2007
jenji wrote:Hi,
I'd like to import my car, a 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, from the US to Dubai. How can I find out if it meets GCC specs? Does anyone know what GCC specs are??

I don't want to buy a new car or rent one, because I have this one at home in the states just sitting in the garage and its in very good condition.

And finally, does anyone know approximately how much insurance would cost on a vehicle like this on an annual basis? Thanks!

Hi, I imported my S10 Blazer from the US a couple of years ago for the same reason. The fact is, the DMV (dept of motor vehicles) don’t care if the car is optimized for the Gulf regions or not. Such specs are a matter of convenience to the owner & will contribute to the resale value of the vehicle, as well as its age due to weather:

Km/hr instead of Mi/hr
Increase the radiators’ average temp to high, rather than medium.
Bigger cooling fan & air condenser
Heat resistant wheels

& other…

My blazer had none of the above, yet the registration was a breeze. I only paid 4% customs tax.
Insurance will cost you around 500 Dhs/year for third party insurance. Almost no body will give you full insurance for an 11 yr old, American 4x4. :wink:
Spica
Dubai Forum Visitor

US Imports Jun 23, 2007
The long term implications of bringing an older car in from the US could be expensive and frustrating. Depending on where in the States your car was originally built for, it may simply be unsuitable for the severe conditions we 'enjoy' here in the Gulf region.

Apart from the list of items mentioned in the first reply, there are potential problems with air conditioning, ignition timing (the quality of fuel here is generally much poorer than in the States), performance and the likely availability of appropriate spare parts should anything go wrong.

If you plan to bring the car in as a second car and can afford to be without it periodically, then it may be worth your while, but I would sell it in the States if it were me, and stick the money on something here that you know to be suitable for the conditions.

As far as GCC specs are concerned, it seems to be something of a mystery - some of the GCC States abide by them, some don't, and if you look them up on any of the GCC sites, you'll end up being more confused! Generally though, anything that has been built in Europe, Japan, the States or one of the other emerging manufacturing countries is going to be OK as long as there is a 120kph warning of some sort. Having said that, it does not need to work as no one will check it!

As long as the car is fit and tidy, has matching numbers and is a recogniseable brand, you should have no difficulty in registering it.
autodrone
Dubai Forums Member

posting in Dubai AutoForum Rules

Return to Dubai Auto