Car Insurance/Vehicle Registration

Topic locked
Car Insurance/Vehicle registration Nov 06, 2007
Another piece of confusing UAE bureaucratic red tape.

So, I bought a second car to get myself to and from work a few months ago. Got the insurance, the NOC and the countless copies of my passport and several photos to go with it that everything here seems to require.
Got the vehicle registration transferred over into my name and was told at the time that I had to remember the car needed re-registered in November.
So, today I went to reregister the thing and am told that they wont re-register my car until I have a full 13 months insurance because they couldn't possibly have me with a registered vehicle when my insurance runs out, but they happily leave to walk out of the registration centre with no rego.

I don't know, it just doesn't seem to make sense.
The last country I worked in was Australia. They seemed to have it sussed. Your vehicle registration automatically included third party cover, so if you were too lazy, too skint or too dishonest to get full cover on your car then you were at least covered if you pranged somebody else.

CVB
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Nov 06, 2007
you can get insurance for the remaining perid or just register the car until the insurance runs out..
hamadl
Dubai Forums Talker

Nov 06, 2007
I had thought that might be the case, but apparently in Abu Dhabi (or it could just be that this guy was in a particularly unhelpful mood) that isn't the case as far as registering the car for a period of less than 1 year.

It's just a bit of a pain to have to go and get additional months insurance when it could have been pointed out at the time :roll:
CVB
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Nov 12, 2007
in umm al quwain you need to pass your car first and then they will insure your car... rules twisted..

cvb, start from the scratch, make a new insurance coverage under your name

renew your registration
ahamed
Dubai chat master

Re: Car Insurance/Vehicle registration Dec 27, 2007
CVB wrote:The last country I worked in was Australia. They seemed to have it sussed. Your vehicle registration automatically included third party cover,

I think that's unusual in most countries (except for Australia/NZ)?
bonk
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

posting in Dubai AutoForum Rules

Return to Dubai Auto