Car Advice: Merc E Class Or BMW 5 Series?

Topic locked
car advice: merc E class or BMW 5 series? May 13, 2007
any advice? finally ready to make the plunge and never having driven a decent car i have no preconceptions

actually i'm thinking any reasonable 4 seater, used or new, would be fine but am getting the impression that in biz, appearences and cars and such are a big deal and a unsexy practical cheap car wouldn't be a good way to go

i'm also caught by the "you can drive cars here that you'd never be able to afford back home" advice-givers-- despite the fact that i'm not a "car" person

any ideas for me?

Sydneysider
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

May 13, 2007
Go for the Merc. Less hassle...
V-Man
Dubai Forums Frequenter

May 13, 2007
A BMW dealership oil change costs close to Dhs 1000. Merc can't be far behind.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

May 14, 2007
^^^^ no way!!!!! for real???? is the oil filter made of gold or silver? or do you get complete spa treatment while waiting for the car to be ready? :D
cheap_Deal
Dubai forums Addict

May 14, 2007
BMW and Mercedes are both premium brands in Germany.
It is just a question of your personal taste, you should test drive both and buy the one you like better.
Whatever your decision is, you will get a very good car.
However, BMW is a bit more sportive, while the Merc is built for comfort.
bschmidt
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Jul 08, 2007
I've noticed that both the AC's are unable to cope with this heat.

I'd choose the Mercs... all the BMW's seem to turn to junk here in just a couple of years
KeithL
Dubai Forums Veteran

Jul 08, 2007
If you have BMW or Mercedes money to spend and don't consider an Audi or a Volvo, you are missing out on some good alternatives. The Lexus IS 300 is a bit of a stormer too, and Saab seem to have got the recipe right at the moment.

And if you accept that a car is a cost centre and that you will NEVER get back what you spend, you should also consider the 'fun factor' of ownership, and for bottom end MB or BMW money, the Chrysler 300C is a bit of a cracker as well

The BMWs and the Mercedes' will probably hold their value better in the long term (after 5 years provided the maintenance is up to date and with the dealer) but there is still a huge amount of badge snobbery in this market and not much knowledge of what makes a good car. And remember, you take the biggest hit as soon as you register whatever it is you buy - about 30% in the first year. It depends a lot on how long you intend to keep the car as to how much you will suffer.

My advice would be to stick the preconceptions on the back burner and have a proper trawl about ALL the dealerships.
autodrone
Dubai Forums Member

Jul 17, 2007
I drive an Merc ML AMG!

When I had my daughter wanted a big, safe, reliable, nice looking car that was fun to drive!!

Test drove pretty much all!

Favourite Porsche Cayenne Turbo! But sadly alittle out of my price range!

Went for the Merc and it's beautiful!

My last six cars have been Mercs!

Lovely, reliable and so pretty!

Bored yet???? :wink:

Sorry just trying to get my 100 posts to get into fight club.... wanna play! :lol:
English Girlie
Dubai Expat Helper

posting in Dubai AutoForum Rules

Return to Dubai Auto