Away For The Summer - Disconnect The Battery?

Topic locked
Away for the summer - disconnect the battery? Jun 18, 2010
Hello, everyone. I'm in need of some motoring advice.

I'm leaving next week for three weeks abroad. I will be back for four nights, then away again for another four weeks. Some have suggested I disconnect the battery, others have said it isn't necessary.

What's the conventional wisdom here in DF? BTW, I've got a 2008 Fortuner, 20,000k with the original battery.

Thanks in advance for any help you might be to provide. And have a great summer.

RAKman
Dubai Forum User

Re: Away For The Summer - Disconnect The Battery? Jun 19, 2010
For 2 weeks I wouldn't worry about it. For 2 months I would. Your time periods are in the maybe ... maybe not zone. If you do want to do something, this is what I do.

Drive at least 30 minutes to make sure battery charged up (drive, not sit in a traffic jam), then disconnect it. Also pump up tyres to about 50 psi. Don't forget to drop pressure when you return. But don't pump up tyres if they're damaged e.g. bulges on the sidewall indicating you've kerbed them, or they've had a puncture repair, or there's any cracks in wall, or similar.

Disclaimer: I'm not a mechanic, and am generally ignorant about everything. But I do know what a carbore ... carbeauterr ... carbon rater ... erm ... windscreen wiper is.
bonk
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Re: Away For The Summer - Disconnect The Battery? Jun 19, 2010
That's good advice from bonk. Also try to park it in a covered parking or atleast cover it up. And just disconnect the negative terminal on the battery and that is more than sufficient.
desertdudeshj
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

posting in Dubai AutoForum Rules

Return to Dubai Auto