Live In Sharjah

Topic locked
Live in Sharjah Nov 05, 2006
Hi

I am new to the forum as I will be moving to the UAE in January to workin the Sharjah Free Zone.

My budget is reasonably tight, around dhs 5,000 per month for accomodation and living so will probably look to live in Sharjah as it is cheaper and travelling will be easier as I don't drive.

I know that Sharjah is a dry emirate, but that does not bother me as I don't drink that much anyway. It would be nice to be near a beach or have a pool as I love the water so sharing a room may be a good option.

Not moving out to UAE for huge financial gains, just want to live and work with a lifestyle and culture that is different to the 24/7 work yourself to the bone approach in the UK. The ability to go Scuba Diving on my days off will more than improve my current work/life balance.

Does anyone know roughly how much it will cost to rent accomodation in Sharjah, or would my budget allow me to live in Dubai and commute by Taxi to sharjah.

Any comments or tips from fellow expats would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

helonita

helonita
Dubai Forum Guest

Nov 05, 2006
First of all good luck with your new job.

Let me put to bed one misconception you have about Sharjah, whilst the Hotels do not sell booze, Sharjah is not dry, once you have a residence permit you can apply for a liquor permit with the Sharjah Police which allows you to purchase in Dubai and transport to your home in Sharjah. You can also go to the Sharjah Wanderers Rugby Club which has a legal bar.

Your budget for accomodation would be OK for Sharjah, and you really do not want to be travelling the road to Dubai with the trafic as it is. When you get here you should be able to find something suitable for yourself.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Nov 05, 2006
Sage & Onion

Many thanks for the comments, i think I will stay in Sharjah as the commuting between Dubai and Sharjah would be difficult.

I understand that Sharjah is an up and coming area and there is plenty to do in the area and that is a reasonably nice place to live.

Thanks

Helonita
helonita
Dubai Forum Guest

posting in Accommodation in DubaiForum Rules

Return to Accommodation in Dubai