Expat With Family From US - Where To Live?

Topic locked
Expat with Family from US - where to live? Aug 03, 2006
Hi -

I'm joining a company that will post me in Dubai. I will be moving there with my wife and 7 year old son. I want to live in a nice area, but one where there are kids and where a nice family life is possible. I haven't been able to figure out where that may be. I'll be working in Jebel Ali, and more than likely, my son will go to school at the American School of Dubai (Jumeirah?). We're not looking for something ultra fancy, but a very nice 3 bedroom apartment should do fine.

Can someone help me out? I will probably be there for a few weeks in advance, but want to wrap this part up as soon as possible. Please tell me the areas (pros/cons) and price ranges. I really need some help.

Thanks in advance!

DXBBound
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Aug 03, 2006
There are a lot of new areas around Jebel Ali that are very nice. The closest ones are the Green Community and Gardens (not to be confused with The Greens - which is also a decent area). Jebel Ali is on the outskirts of Dubai, right on the border with Abu Dhabi, so the closer you live to there, the further away you will be from the center of town.
mraph33
Dubai Expat Helper

Aug 03, 2006
Green Community is a really nice place to live - but too far out of town for most people, however its ideal for Jebel Ali - definately to be considered!
the_zooter
Dubai forums GURU

Aug 03, 2006
Aparment living somewhat diminshes the community feel. Having said that places in the Greens, Springs, Lakes, Meadows, Gardens, Greens Community all have a nice feel to it.

I wouldn't worry too much about being away from "down town". The new Dubai is all out this side of town.
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

Aug 03, 2006
Thanks for those suggestions. Are these areas where expats live (hopefully with kids around)? When you say it's closer to Jebel Ali, does that mean that all the conveniences (malls, supermarkets, hospitals etc.) become far? I don't mind commuting to work, but would love to stay in a nice area. One major concern is that I want to be in a place where there are kids for my son to play with. What can I say? It's more about the family..

Regards,
DXBBound
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Aug 03, 2006
Ok, as for the Green Community, it is certainly got many families with kids in it, and a nice little shapping mall and bars and restaurants all attached to the big Marriott (?) hotel.
Others would be able to tell you about schools in/near that area. As for it being close to Malls etc, well you are pretty close to Ibn Butatta mall, and Mall of the Emirates, which are the two largest in Dubai - so you'll be well served in that respect.
As has been mentioned before, its the up and coming side of town, so I'm sure there will be many more amenities built in the area in the coming months!
the_zooter
Dubai forums GURU

posting in Accommodation in DubaiForum Rules

Return to Accommodation in Dubai