Which Is Better? Malaysia Or Dubai?

Topic locked
Which Is Better? Malaysia or Dubai? Jun 24, 2006
Hi guys... i finally have the guts to apply for positions abroad... got some interesting replies from Malaysia, Dubai and HK...

HK is interesting, but i'm still confused deciding which is better, Malaysia or Dubai since both have their own uniqueness...

Let me describe me first, i'm an Indonesian architect with 3 years of experience (local), single and living a conveniently modest life. I love sports, watching TV and browsing the net.

As i've learned, both countries can accomodate my needs, i haven't decided the expected salary n monthly allowance to my future employer in Dubai but i have decided to the one in Malaysia.

I can live (relatively) decently with RM 6000 (around 6000 AED if i'm not misteken for all the bills, 1 BR apartment, transport cost, daily meals n a little saving) but i certainly won't get the same in Dubai.

I can't find any salary survey on architect profession in Dubai but as i've searched in this forum i pressume that i can get around 11000 AED + apt. allowance + transport allowance... is it likely true?

But there are also other considerations based on the climate, the culture, technology provided, etc. that need to be put into consideration.

For one thing, Malaysia is closer to my home country, eventhough the salary expected is alot less than Dubai but i can save as many as i save from what i might earn in Dubai.

On the other hand, experiencing something different is going to be really interesting, is Dubai a right place to gain such?

Thanks for the opinion...

sob80sup81
Dubai Forum Guest

Jun 24, 2006
Being an architect myself and being a Malaysian, I think I can give you the best opinion :wink: , at least about Dubai vs Malaysia.

Depending on where you were educated and where you had your previous work experience, UAE is the heaven for architects! I was educated and had my working experience in Australia, so, this place is best for me in terms of salary! Like my previous employer said, "For one of you, we could hire two egyptians or four indians" :shock: :wink: I don't know where an Indonesian will fit in this racist workplace :? However, knowing another Malaysian engineer employed by our company who was hired from Malaysia, his salary package was about half of mine.

AED11K sounds about right for someone of your experience. I know an Egyptian architect with the same years of experience who is earning just the same.

I would never go back to Malaysia because the salary is not great and even though the tax is minimal, it's better to pay no tax at all here at UAE. Saying that, living cost in Malaysia is really really cheap. RM6k/month is quite a good salary.

Experience wise, experience in Dubai will definitely outweighes any experience in Malaysia. There ain't that many huge projects there like there are in Dubai.

Anymore questions, I would be glad to help :lol:
Dubai Forums Member

Jun 24, 2006
888 wrote:Being an architect myself and being a Malaysian, I think I can give you the best opinion :wink: , at least about Dubai vs Malaysia.

Depending on where you were educated and where you had your previous work experience, UAE is the heaven for architects! I was educated and had my working experience in Australia, so, this place is best for me in terms of salary! Like my previous employer said, "For one of you, we could hire two egyptians or four indians" :shock: :wink: I don't know where an Indonesian will fit in this racist workplace :? However, knowing another Malaysian engineer employed by our company who was hired from Malaysia, his salary package was about half of mine.

AED11K sounds about right for someone of your experience. I know an Egyptian architect with the same years of experience who is earning just the same.

I would never go back to Malaysia because the salary is not great and even though the tax is minimal, it's better to pay no tax at all here at UAE. Saying that, living cost in Malaysia is really really cheap. RM6k/month is quite a good salary.

Experience wise, experience in Dubai will definitely outweighes any experience in Malaysia. There ain't that many huge projects there like there are in Dubai.

Anymore questions, I would be glad to help :lol:

Hi 888...

Quick n thourough response you gave there.... thanks alot for that, really appreciate it... :)

Indeed the tax is one of the consideration :) i also believe that Dubai is a heaven to explore ideas and to be able to implement them into reality... I was educated on an Indonesian Uni and local experiences only, not quite impressive compares to most expats but i guess i'll do good there...

How about the allowance? Did i guess it right? Do Dubai consultants usually give apt. allowance and transport allowance too? Or the expected 11000 AED covers all the expenses?
sob80sup81
Dubai Forum Guest

Jun 24, 2006
I get AED10,500/month for allowance in Abu Dhabi. In Dubai, one would expect higher allowance. However, this also depends on the company. Some companies will provide you with accommodation and certain allowance such as fuel, transportation (hire car), expenses, annual return tickets etc as reimbursements with upper limit. My company just gives me a lump sum and I can spend it however I want, which is great coz I could pocket the balance of cash if I do my budget properly :-)

There are a few architects whom I know here with your level of experience which I can give you examples of:

Australian in Abu Dhabi, 3+ yrs experience - gets approximately AED11,500/month as based salary + AED3,200/month for accommodation + free transportation if located permanently on site.

Egyptian in Abu Dhabi, 4+ yrs experience - gets AED11K/month all inclusive + free transportation if located permanently on site.

Indian in Dubai, 5+ yrs experience - gets AED11K/month all inclusive with company provided apartment (at dodgy Sharjah area) and free transportation to work.

Me, Malaysian on Western European contract hired from Australia, 6+ yrs experience - more than above but confidential :lol:
Dubai Forums Member

Jun 24, 2006
888 wrote:I get AED10,500/month for allowance in Abu Dhabi. In Dubai, one would expect higher allowance. However, this also depends on the company. Some companies will provide you with accommodation and certain allowance such as fuel, transportation (hire car), expenses, annual return tickets etc as reimbursements with upper limit. My company just gives me a lump sum and I can spend it however I want, which is great coz I could pocket the balance of cash if I do my budget properly :-)

There are a few architects whom I know here with your level of experience which I can give you examples of:

Australian in Abu Dhabi, 3+ yrs experience - gets approximately AED11,500/month as based salary + AED3,200/month for accommodation + free transportation if located permanently on site.

Egyptian in Abu Dhabi, 4+ yrs experience - gets AED11K/month all inclusive + free transportation if located permanently on site.

Indian in Dubai, 5+ yrs experience - gets AED11K/month all inclusive with company provided apartment (at dodgy Sharjah area) and free transportation to work.

Me, Malaysian on Western European contract hired from Australia, 6+ yrs experience - more than above but confidential :lol:

:lol: i don't even dare to imagine yours :lol:

Well... working in Dubai is not so bad afterall... i really appreciate your inputs 888 :) with those inputs above i should be able to set a decent expected salary and not to be worried much...

Hopefully i'll be able to meet you in person :)
sob80sup81
Dubai Forum Guest

Jun 24, 2006
having travelled to malaysia every weekend for 6 months within 2 years and taking various holidays..(was living in singapore)..and recently having moved to dubai...from my gut reaction and personal choice...i would move to malaysia...ONLY if the money is considerably more...say around 10,000 ringet...as then you can truely live like a king...and save real money...ok i will be immpartial and list out the pros and cons as i have experianced them...anyone who feels different please feel free to add on...

Malaysia PROS
cheap...dirt cheap
closer for you to go home...
better climate
better food (for me personally) and really really cheap...
accomodation /rental is reasonable
cars are reasonable but i guess the variaty is limited...

DUBAI PROS
Tax Free (thats what they say...till ya have to pay hidden costs)
New experiance...new culture...
Better pay (if you do decide to come to dubai...do crack a sweet deal otherwise dont come here on a compromise...)
CARS CARS CARS ...oh man what choice and reasonable prices with no taxes and easy financing...
Gateway to lot of holiday destinations and europe etc...

OK to be impartial and positive...i wont list the cons for both places...

in short if you are looking for something totally different and another part of the world...(though dubai is like any other city...its when you travel to jordan lebanon egypt syria etc etc )...then come to dubai...dont expect to save a lot of money...as there are a lot of things to do here...and things arnt exactly dirt cheap...but its an experiance... :D

but if you are looking for comfort and an affordable stable lifestyle as well as save some money and be able to hop accross home and also do a fair bit of travelling to the neighbouring countries...malaysia is heaven...and malaysia has seasons...!!...hills greenery sea...great food etc...my advice is dont settle for 6000 ringet...thats me personally...i do not know enough about your bargaining power or how much architects should be making...

hope that helps and best of luck for any of the options you choose on...both are good... :wink:
constantine
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Jun 24, 2006
sob80sup81 wrote:
Well... working in Dubai is not so bad afterall... i really appreciate your inputs 888 :) with those inputs above i should be able to set a decent expected salary and not to be worried much...

Hopefully i'll be able to meet you in person :)

No worries mate! Trust me, Dubai is heaven for architects...it's like a fantasy world but Cons is right too on all the other issues. Depends on what you really want. For me it was truly for my career and nothing else really.
Dubai Forums Member

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum