Istanbul: What's There?

Topic locked
Istanbul: what's there? May 18, 2006
Folks,

Thinking of a short stay trip to Istanbul (from Dubai); anyone from there/been there? What are the good things to do there (specifically). Any insight will be appreciated.

Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

May 18, 2006
never been there but have heard the blue mosque is a nice place to see!
wannabe
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

May 19, 2006
turkish people
175bpm
Dubai Forums Veteran

May 19, 2006
Thanka 175

You as funny as an ingrown nail. Please go do what is anatomically imposible.
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

May 21, 2006
I am from turkey and I live in istanbul...I can help you.ask whatever you want
kamil
Dubai Forum Guest

May 21, 2006
Dacus wrote:a dangerous place, suicide attackers.

Dacus, oh man u have a serious problem!!!! get real, will u? :evil: u really want to ruin all topics with ur boring threads? :roll:
alexandra
Dubai Forums Veteran

May 22, 2006
Thanks Kamil,

My wife and I are planning a short trip (4 days three nights) to Istanbul from Dubai. I am sure there are lots to do, etc. Our typical travel pattern is to stay centrally located in a city (not at a resort or far away hotel) so that we can travel around by taxi or public transportation if that is available or even walk to different sites. Primarily more interested in cultural (museums, historical buildings, etc.), parks, city walks, than on beaches, clubs, etc. Not too interested on "tourist traps". We like visiting markets, etc. (however these are better if recommended by someone who knows the place as the typical guide - for anywhere in the world - recommends places where even many of the residents would not go - far away, not safe, not clean, expensive, etc.). We plan on going first or second weekend in June.

Any tips would be appreciated. And don't be shy about telling me places to stay away from and to be careful of (every city in the world has them).

We hope our short trip will just be the first of many returns.

Thanks in advance.
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

May 22, 2006
Dacus wrote:a dangerous place, suicide attackers.

You are really clueless aren't you little boy.... :roll:
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

May 22, 2006
Been to Turkey for the last 4 years,
Wonderful place to stay, but never stayed in istanbul because it is hot there !!
I stayed in a city called Yalova, which is on the Asian side of Turkey, do visit the city and from there u can go to a nice village called Termal, which is located 20 minutes away between the mountains !!! if u get a chance to go and spend a day there, do it , u won't regret it !!they have hot springs and Turkish Baths!!
In Istanbul don't miss the Bayazeed Souk, u will need at least 3 days to cover it all !! so don't worry !! u will have alot of activities to do, yet u should plan well before going !!
I would be more than happy to help u plan ur trip to Turkey, and take my word, never go to a travels agent or tourists people, they will take u to certain places and u have to follow their schedule !! where as by checking few websites and asking few people, u can manage everything by urself and enjoy it !!!

Good luck !
:wink:
Palkid7
Dubai chat master

May 22, 2006
Concord wrote:Primarily more interested in cultural (museums, historical buildings, etc.),

There's more than enough in Istanbul (and Turkey) to keep you busy for 4 days. I was there a few years ago and found it fascinating. Especially places like Aya Sofya, Blue Mosque, Covered Bazaar and Topkapi Palace (which would probably be regarded as the main tourist traps :) ).

Watch out for the friendly people with bears asking you if you want to take a photo of them. Afterwards, you get asked for an insane sum of money - and bears are somewhat difficult to negotiate with :? .
sharewadi
Dubai Expat Helper

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat