Golf Partners

Topic locked
Golf Partners Feb 23, 2012
Ok so iv'e been here 6 weeks and not yet played golf.................AGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

My clubs are in Dubai awaiting customs clearance, and I'm looking for people to play around with (?) Let me re phase that, .....anyone fancy a round of golf?????

I play off 24 and haven't played since last November in Zambia!!! so am just looking to get back in the swing of things (pardon the pun)

Any offers??

Taffymanc

Taffymanc
Dubai Forums Member

Re: Golf Partners Aug 20, 2012
Taffymanc ,

Hi there Taffymanc

I have just joined the site, and will quite probably moving out within the month. I will be up for golf when I get out there, so if you are still looking for partners, I will be up for it.

Whats the score with golf here? Are there municipals or are they just membership clubs?

Cheers

Matt
mattyspurs
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Re: Golf Partners Aug 21, 2012
Hi Matt. Ive played a few times now with the guys from work and have had a few lessons and have to say the courses are incredible. Membership at some of the top clubs is way out of my budget but you can join the Jumeriah golf estates club for 20,000 a year. Most clubs let you ring up and book a tee time just like in the UK with a round costing about 220 each. For that you get a buggie,cooler box,water,towels,distance cards, the works.........At the moment its too hot to play in the day time and we usually play nine holes after work when its cooler, roll on winter!
Taffymanc
Dubai Forums Member

Re: Golf Partners Aug 21, 2012
Thanks for that. That's not something you hear very often, "roll on winter"!!

I've heard the courses are fantastic and can't wait to play on them.

How are finding Dubai mate?
mattyspurs
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Re: Golf Partners Aug 22, 2012
mattyspurs ,

I have been out here since January but have spent a lot of the time overseas with my job. My family joined me last week and they are just settling down.

Dubai takes a bit to get used to but if you have traveled a lot you should settle in fine. A bit expensive so budget for things like food, booze etc. Water is more expensive than petrol here.

What line of work are you in? Are you coming over with your family?
Taffymanc
Dubai Forums Member

Taffymanc ,

I'm coming out on my own. My wife and I are in the process of splitting up, my sons are staying here.

I'm gonna be an International Financial Advisor, the office is based on the Sheihk Zayed Road. Where are the good inexpensive places to rent?
mattyspurs
Dubai Expat Wannabe

mattyspurs ,

There are loads of one bed/studio apartments along the SZR, the Marina area seem to be the most popular.

Try www.propertyfinder.ae
Taffymanc
Dubai Forums Member

Taffymanc ,

Cheers mate, I really appreciate that.
mattyspurs
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Hi Matty,

Use this link to search for apartments. Do you know the name of the area where your office is located? Key it in with your budget. If you get an unfurnished apartment you can also buy used furniture (in pretty good condition) from the site as well.

http://dubai.dubizzle.com/property-for-rent/residential/
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Bora Bora ,

Thanks for that Bora-Bora, I really appreciate the help, as it's all quite daunting at the moment. The office is located on the SZR.
mattyspurs
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Where abouts on SZR? Near DIFC? Business Bay? Emaar Park? Al Barsha? The Marina? There are named areas all along SZR.

I would suggest that you take a funished serviced apartment. You don't want to go into debt right away. Is your company providing a housing allowance? You will have to pay rent up front - anywhere from 6 months to 12. If they are giving you an allowance, I would suggest a furnished serviced apartment so that you can save up for furniture. If not, it would still be wise to take something furnished until you feel comfortable in your job and things are going well. If you are thinking about a car I would suggest leasing a car for 6 months. But, if you find something close to the office you may just cab it for awhile. You don't want to find yourself in debt and things take a wrong direction.

You could end up starting off with loans for housing, furniture, a car. And that is not how you want to start out!!!
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Bora Bora ,

It doesn't say what area Bora-Bora. It's the Emarat Atrium Building, if thats any help.

The rest of the advice is priceless, thankyou for that. I'm just gonna cab it for a while and see how I get on to be honest, and I just want something relatively modest apartment wise to start with. I'm gonna be paying it all myself, and until the commision starts to come through, the wage is gonna be quite low.
mattyspurs
Dubai Expat Wannabe

It appears that the building is near Safa Park. You may want to look at furnished serviced apartments (studio) near Al Basha where there are plenty and you can take the train. Most of the apartments between Trade Centre Roundabout and near Safa Park are unfurnished and pricey. Another forum that may give you more info and help is http://www.expatforum.com/expats/dubai-expat-forum-expats-living-dubai/

Another alternative is to look for someone who is looking for a roommate. (Check dubizzle.com and expatforum.com) Make sure it's a male roommate!!!! Just be careful as to location and most likely you would prefer a western roommate.

I forget to mention: be very, very careful who you deal with!!! There are many people who got scammed. Make sure you get receipts and give a check whenever possible. You should also know that bounced checks can cause a big problem so make sure you cover every check you write.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Bora Bora ,

Once again thankyou Bora-Bora, you have been a great help, I was thinking about maybe trying to find someone to share with, it would certainly be an inexpensive way to start of my life in Dubai until I am properly on my feet.
mattyspurs
Dubai Expat Wannabe

mattyspurs ,

Happy to help out matty. Wish you alot of luck. I added something to the previous post that you should make note of.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Bora Bora ,

Again, thankyou.

I've just noticed the edit in your last post and i will remember that.
mattyspurs
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Re: Golf Partners Nov 02, 2012
i like to play glof
netsun
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Re: Golf Partners Dec 29, 2012
I came across Reviot, which allows users to review different things, and there are quite a lot of Dubai golf courses... would be worth sharing your thoughts on Dubai's golf courses: http://www.reviot.com/listings/index/ca ... egory:Golf
marsm
Dubai Forums Member

posting in Dubai Sports ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Sports Forum