Brussel Sprouts Give Me Wind.

Topic locked
Brussel Sprouts Give Me Wind. Dec 27, 2011
I don't believe in food allergies. I can eat anything but I've decided that brussel sprouts give me wind.
I make my own vegetable soup and take it to work every day. I make it on a Sunday with any veg I have left so it may contain anything but it's always bloody lovely. I eat it in the winter months which is about 9 months of the year in England.
Sometimes I've noticed that in the afternoon I can get severe wind!
Zonker once said that men from his area who die before they broke wind in public and I thought at the time, wouldn't everyone? I know I would!
Sometimes I pray that I don't have to bend over. Oh the shame if the wind got the better of me in my office. I'd never be able to get over it.
We had a girl who grazed all day on nuts and celery, She was silent but deadly and it all came to a head when I threatened to come to work in the gas mask my ex husband had left in my house.
The office manager had a word, the girl changed her diet and voila! wind problem eased.

Well I've put two and two together over Christmas and deducted that it's the sprouts who are the culprit. I quite like them but they don't agree with me. I did them with pancetta, chestnuts and masala wine. They were lovely but I'm going to try and obliterate them from my diet.
Beth has the same problem with cucumber.

What would you like to eliminate from your diet?

Bethsmum
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: Brussel Sprouts Give Me Wind. Dec 27, 2011
absloutly nothing, i love my food
general_A
Dubai forums Addict

Bethsmum , you are funny :lol:

You might be pleased to know that they are developing charcoal impregnated underwear, so farts in future may not be associated with the unpleasantness we know as the smells will be filtered out!
I have a friend who practices Naturopathic Medicine. She is always telling me about food allergies. Sometimes these can be quite minor, but produce uncomfortable results. Acting on her advice, I have discovered so many foods that dont agree with me and have eliminated them from my diet. And I feel a lot better.Of course Brussel sprouts, cauliflower etc. are known to contain substances that cause flatulence. You have done well to give the sprouts a rest!
Many many years ago when I was a student, farting was a delicate subject. I remember a friend telling us how he went across the border (from the Frontier Province to the Punjab, where farting was supposed to be common). He went to a shop and asked for something, and the shopkeeper farted which made a sound exactly like the word for "How many?". And my friend not realizing what had happened, replied, with a straight face :"Four". He swore it was the truth.
That used to be the cause of a lot of hilarity!
zonker
BANNED

I've heard of people being able to 'burp' words but being able to communicate by letting rip, well that's amazing :shock: Well maybe disgusting would be the more apt word!
I have to say if I entered a shop and heard the shop keeper 'drop one' I would be exiting quicker than I entered.

As for charcoal impregnated pants :shock: They wouldn't make my pulling pants drawer I can tell you!

You can't win! They issue advice to eat five a day and you end up crippled with wind. So much for that healthy eating lark.
Beth has the best idea. She always helps herself to two brussel sprouts and she always leaves two on her plate.
Bethsmum

Re: Brussel Sprouts Give Me Wind. Dec 28, 2011
They've had an adverse effect on my dog I know that much, bless him, he's still going strong!
Erm, for me it's Garlic. We used to live in Spain where EVERYTHING is cooked with it & I still use it as much but I do pay for it, or should I say my family does?!
I've never ever "popped" in public. However, once when heavily pregnant in Mothercare, I really couldn't help myself any longer. Ok, store empty? Check! Next to the big door for quick wafting? Check! Oh the relief! Omg, a woman walked straight through those blasted automatic doors & BAM! The horror on her face was immediate! I ducked between the baby gro's to my left & bottles to the right & locked myself in the changing room for 10 mins!! My husband always said "if you could spend just 5 minutes in my shoes" well that day I acted like a complete bloke!'
Sandstormlady
Dubai Forums Member

I'm not a big lover of garlic. My first husband quite liked squid. Being a novice to garlic, years ago, I thought it was squid that smelt like that. When I went into labour with my first daughter, my husband insisted I couldn't go to hospital until he'd had his tea. We lived in Cyprus at the time. He went and made his tea while I lay sweating on the bed.
We eventually made it to the hospital with not a lot of time to spare!
In those days, pregnant ladies were given an enema. Is that the correct spelling? :drunken:
Imagine having a pint of soapy water poured up your jacksy and being told to nip your buttocks together, making it to the toilet whilst having major contractions whilst your husband (soon to be ex) breathes garlic fumes in your face.
I've never liked garlic since :D
Bethsmum

LOL sprouts are always the culrpit, that's what they're generally known for, nasty tasting things that give you gas. Sadly I suffer terribly from acid reflux and anything can set it off. I used to love red wine, can't drink that anymore. I love my spicy food, but that causes me issues big time and I usually end up doubled up in agony, so I usually cook Thai food and use ginger to add the hotness, which is better than the spices. I hate eliminating things from my diet as I'm such a foodie, so I end up taking a handful of various meds before I can eat anything.

SSL, my dog is the same, give him anything apart from dry biscuits and you could bottle his farts and use it as a deadly weapon - it's just vile!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Turkey and Sprout.jpg
The Christmas fart!
Turkey and Sprout.jpg (15.91 KiB) Viewed 1289 times

:lol:
Dillon
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Why is it that men don't seem to have the slightest problem with doing it in public & think it's ok or even worse, funny? Could you imagine a woman stood in the middle of a shop, cocking a leg & exploding then giggling like a kid?
Sandstormlady
Dubai Forums Member

Bethsmum ,

Yes BM they did give an enema. Unfortunately for me when I was in the hospital to deliver my daughter and when the enema took effect I raced to the bathroom but there was no time for me to get on the toilet in time and it turned out that the wall looked like there had been a mud slide (without the soapy bubbles). :mrgreen: Nurse was not happy with me at all. :blackeye: As for me, I was shocked to find that it was possible for the bowel to retain so much poop. :lol:

--- Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:37 pm ---

Sandstormlady wrote:Why is it that men don't seem to have the slightest problem with doing it in public & think it's ok or even worse, funny? Could you imagine a woman stood in the middle of a shop, cocking a leg & exploding then giggling like a kid?

Mr BB has a method of his own. Letting go while walking. I get furious with him but he just keeps walking with a big smile on his face. And I'm saying: Very classy. Yup, very, very classy. And not funny!!!!
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

What wrong with going to the john and release some air? At times you just can see somebody pushing it out. Like, they slightly tild over to the left or right, heighten one bum with a few centimeter and after a few seconds they continue like nothing happened.

I have to admit unwanted release also happened to me. The worst was in school. Teacher was angry and shouting "QUITE!", you could hear a needle drop, two sec later I released one of the biggest and loudest farts ever. It wasn't on purpose, really!
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat