The Kindle

Topic locked
The Kindle Dec 26, 2011
One of my family was given a kindle for Christmas.

I'm not keen on it. The only person who could sync it to Amazon was Beth. Two other people tried and failed.
We down loaded a Fredrick Forsyth book and the person who was given the Kindle said 'what now?'
I said you read it, you pillock.

I like books! I like to flick through the pages. look at the pictures and put it on a book shelf. I still have all Beth's baby books with fairies that pop up when you open the pages and cartoon dinosaures.

I don't like that Kindle thing. It's dead boring!

Bethsmum
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: The Kindle Dec 26, 2011
I need to smell the pages, and hear the sound of turning the pages. A Kindle can significantly reduce the suitcase load though.
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

@BM, my 8 yr old daughter wanted one but I talked her out of it. A: because it was a nightmare just on finding out how difficult it is to download books in Dubai, b: I like my girls to have proper books, c: my other daughter wanted an Innotab (toddlers net book.) whilst everywhere was out of stock of those we discovered the "E Touch" amazing little thing, just the iPad but 7". You can use it as a kindle, browse the web (a must for Moshi Monster's in my kids world!) email, download games etc etc, it's fab!! Plus with 2 girls @ only £100 each it served as their main present. They can use them when travelling but I still got them new books for their backpack's on the plane.
Sandstormlady
Dubai Forums Member

I have the kindle 3 and it is great for reading. Much more comfortable to read while in bed than a real book.
Andyba
Dubai Forum Admin

Re: The Kindle Dec 27, 2011
Kindle is indeed a great help in reading books but paper books still have a different charm.
avianisha
Dubai Forums Member

I have a Kindle 3 and also have a load of unread books that I also read. The Kindle is what I use by far the most - and so far I've not needed to buy a book yet, so many free collections out there and ironically it is only older books that I've had to buy in dead-tree format. I too love books - but the convenience of the Kindle is a big bonus - especially when I'm travelling, and increasingly when I go out for a coffee when the family is shopping... it is the Kindle that I take to read.

I also use it to read magazines such as the Economist - again generally freely downloadable.

Cheers,

Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

shafique wrote:and increasingly when I go out for a coffee when the family is shopping... it is the Kindle that I take to read

You drink coffee when the family is shopping? You wouldn't do for me! Who's there when Mrs Shafique asks 'does my bum look big in this?'

--- Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:31 pm ---

Andyba wrote:I have the kindle 3 and it is great for reading. Much more comfortable to read while in bed than a real book.

I make it a point never to read in bed.

--- Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:34 pm ---

I still prefer books. The only real reading time I get is round the pool in Dubai. I can't imagine shading my eyes with a Kindle.
I suppose it would save on the pages getting wet and going waivy and eventually dropping out as I'm nearing the end of my book.
Bethsmum

Can't beat a good wavy paged, damp chick lit by the pool! Mmm, I ask myself " does BM look good in one of those hats that holds the beer & a straw attached?" :-)
Sandstormlady
Dubai Forums Member

Re: The Kindle Dec 28, 2011
Sandstormlady wrote:Can't beat a good wavy paged, damp chick lit by the pool! Mmm, I ask myself " does BM look good in one of those hats that holds the beer & a straw attached?"

I never wear a hat!
The pools in JBR are strictly 'No Alcohol!'. That's what I really miss about staying in the beach hotels :(
I purchased a plastic beaker from Carrefour. It has a lovely yellow strip that goes all the way round it and a matching yellow straw. Very attractive! I smuggle my Chardonnay down to the pool in this device :D The only draw back is that it is warm within 5 minutes. I prefer to sip my Chardonnay whilst reading my book or listening to Blue on the Ipod but it's warm so I have to down it in one.
There was method in my madness of buying a flat on a low floor. I can negate the calories by running up and down the stairs :D
Alternatively if I'm feeling lazy I get Beth to run up and top me up.
Bethsmum

Re: The Kindle Dec 28, 2011
I like your style BM. I think I'll take a toddlers beaker, those with the lid & spout, that way I'm in no danger of spilling any:-)
Sandstormlady
Dubai Forums Member

Re: The Kindle Dec 29, 2011
Kindle is definitely a good friend (books are our best friends) for people who are on a constant go and accompanies one whereever they go which may not be possible for books considering the tedious volumes of some. :)
avianisha
Dubai Forums Member

Re: The Kindle Jan 06, 2012
avianisha , you're right. i like to have a kindle. since lately i have lots of ebooks. and i prefer kindle than ipad because it's much cheaper. hehehe... :D
abiuae
Dubai Forum Guest

Re: The Kindle Jan 06, 2012
Ah, my husband sat using his I-Pad, our friend was sat there with a kindle. They both looked for the same book to download & it was about £5 cheaper buying through the I-pad. So if your a frequent, business traveller one might possibly have an I-pad anyway for ease of use so the kindle isn't required. I have to say, we constantly took the mick aswell as it doesn't have a back light & at night we only use a small table lamp so our friend couldn't read his Kindle. We proceeded to show him how bright the I-pad is:-)
Sandstormlady
Dubai Forums Member

Re: The Kindle Jan 07, 2012
Sandstormlady ,

Well this is another significant disadvantage of kindle. even if we forget the bit about look and feel of a book, the points that you have mentioned are worth consideration.
avianisha
Dubai Forums Member

Re: The Kindle Jan 07, 2012
Bet when "The All New Kindle" comes out just in time for next Xmas, it has a back light:-)
Sandstormlady
Dubai Forums Member

Re: The Kindle Jan 13, 2012
Sandstormlady ,

Technology never comes at a hiatus or standstill. experts are always working to better what is already available. so if backlight i s aproblem it will sure be dealt with sooner rather than later.
avianisha
Dubai Forums Member

Re: The Kindle Jan 18, 2012
thank you so much for the post
SimmonsHird
Dubai Expat Wannabe

posting in Dubai high tech talkForum Rules

Return to Dubai high tech talk