Can Anyone Help Me? Please?

Topic locked
can anyone help me? please? Feb 27, 2011
Hello everyone! I just wanted to get your opinions regarding my case.

I have been working for 8 months in my current company, which by the way is the biggest mistake I have ever made. At first, everything seemed to be fine until my 4th month. Things started to change especially the way that my boss and his right-hand person treat their employees:

1. we work for 10 hours, but in the contract it is stated there that the working hours is only for 8 hours. We are not given overtime pay (as per labor law) for the succeeding hours.
2. holidays are cut-off. (example for the Eid holiday, it was supposed to be a 3-day holiday for private sectors but we were only given 2.)
3. each employee is entitled to a 1-hour break, but we only get 30mins-40mins break for lunch everyday. If we exceed 30-40 mins, we get scolded for it.
4. salary is delayed

I can go on and on and on with these selfish acts of my employer and his right-hand person. But I want to make this as short as possible.
I filed my resignation last week of January this year, stating that Iam tendering my resignation and I gave 1 month notice as per labor law for unlimited contract. My boss accepted it but refused to sign the letter. He gave me 2 conditions before he cancels my labor card:
1. pay all the visa expenses that he paid for my employment
2. I will get cancelled once he finds a replacement for me.

I agreed to his conditions. Weeks passed by, no interviews were held until the last week of February. We found a replacement but my boss sent her to Kish as her visa is expiring already. Until now, the replacement is till there waiting for her visa. I do follow-ups to our PRO but he said my boss is still not giving him any document for visa processing. I have found a job in the freezone area and they will wait for me until the second week of March.

I would just like to know:
1. if in case they still haven't processed the visa of my replacement within the 2nd week of March, can I leave my current company and transfer to the new one?

2. if my boss refuses to cancel me, what actions can be taken?

Thank you for taking time to read this. I hope you can help me on this because I cannot get help from anybody else. Life is indeed tough here in Dubai.

*By the way, my bag got stolen inside the office 2 weeks ago, containing all the money I have left from last month's salary, my LABOR CARD and other important stuff. I managed to get a certificate for my lost labor card.*

bamba
Dubai Forum User

Re: Can Anyone Help Me? Please? Feb 27, 2011
Lovely place you work at - NOT!!!

Take a trip over to the Ministry of Labor and talk to someone about this. They can be very helpful.

Good luck to you.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Hi! finally, I got a reply after months of posting o. forums! =)

I am also thinking of going to the Labor Office regarding this, but others were telling me that it will also be useless to do so especially if your boss is a local.

I really don't know what to do anymore. I just want to get out of this office and work in a real office.
Thanks!
bamba
Dubai Forum User

The Ministry of Labor know that the locals are the worst offenders when it comes to employment!!! The complaint department probably wouldn't exist if it weren't for all the complaints against local employers!!!

Go and give it a try. You have absolutely nothing to lose. Did you explain the situation to your potential employer? Maybe if you share your experience with the HR person there, they may be able to advise or assist you.

Good luck to you.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Going to the Labor is my last option, honestly because I'm scared of what my current boss can do. But if that's the only thing to do, then I will go for it.

I have explained my situation to my new boss. He was kind enough to give me considerations regarding my delays. He's been waiting for me for almost 2 months now since I cannot get out of this office. He even offered to help me pay the visa expenses that my current boss is asking.

My biggest problem right now is just my current boss. He is making everything difficult for me to leave. And I feel sorry for my replacement because she is likely to get stuck in Kish for the rest of her life.
bamba
Dubai Forum User

If you potential employer is willing to pick up the expense of the visa, why are you hesitating?? You have an easy out take it - unless of course, your new employer will want reimbursement. That's something you will need to find out in a very subtle way. You seem to have a very nice potential boss, I would NOT miss out on the opportunity if I were you. You may find yourself at your present job for a long time, the same your "replacement" who is in Kish, or may not be in Kish.

See my comment in you "ban" thread.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

saw your post already. =)

yes, I took the job offer in the freezone already. Me and my "soon-to-be" boss are just waiting for my cancellation in my current company which is what I've been having problems with right now. My current boss is giving me a hard time in my cancellation.
bamba
Dubai Forum User

posting in Working in DubaiForum Rules

Return to Working in Dubai