Is He Going To Go To Jail?

Topic locked
Is he going to go to jail? Jun 30, 2009
My husband had a minor accident with another car - reversed into it in a parking lot. No damage to his car, scratch to the other car.

He lost his job and had his visa cancelled 3 months ago. He has a new job, but no residency visa yet. This means that his license had expired and car registration could not be renewed without a residency visa.

He offered to pay the damages to the lady he hit, but she called the police. He panicked and fled the scene.

He went to the police station the following morning after receiving a call from them. He could not produce his license, only his number because the license was lost between last using and now - no reason, just lost.

He was arrested at the police station, a friend used their passport as collateral to have him released. He has a court date late July.

Is it likely that he will spend time in jail? Any idea how long?

Until now he has a clean driving record for the 9 years he has been here with the odd speeding fine, with only 3 black points for the last 2 years.

We are sick with worry. Advice or expectation of the outcome would help. We are on financial struggle street as it is.

rescuecat
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Jun 30, 2009
It would be very unusual to be jailed for a non-injury accident (unless drugs/alcohol involved), or driving without car registration. Without driving licence is a more serious offence but the police should have a record that he has one. I presume he was arrested for fleeing the accident scene? That sounds like the most serious offence to me. Punishment will depend on conviction and judge. Extenuating circumstances (stress of job loss, panic over no visa, good driving record, etc, etc) I expect would best be argued by a lawyer. Get a good one.
bonk
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Jun 30, 2009
No Jail anymore - I think the court will decide a fine.
Anosh
Dubai Forums Talker

Jun 30, 2009
Hi Bonk. Thanks for the response. No drugs or alcohol were involved. Will look for a good lawyer on your advice.
rescuecat
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Jun 30, 2009
That is screwed up.
Guardasil
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Jun 30, 2009
At most expect to be fined for the accident as well as for driving with an expired license. Hopefully the court will be lenient as these are tough times, with people losing jobs and all.
Jail is definitely out of the question. Be on the safe side and consult with a good lawyer.
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jun 30, 2009
Well he was stupid to run away in the first place. The police have to come and fill out a report otherwise a garage will not do any repairs without a police report, that's all the woman needed. He could have explained the situation and had it dealt with there and then.

Now he's learning his lesson the hard way. Silly bugger.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Jun 30, 2009
first of all your husband should not have been driving without a proper visa in hand. Thats was common sense. But if you visa in process - change of sponsor - then not a problem.

Secondly, not clear from your mail - your husband's car registration has expired?? fine - yes but no jail....

thirdly, how can your visas be cancelled and you'll still here? The last stage of visa cancellation is at the airport when you exit.

Fourthly your husband made things worse by running away from the scene. (and that too when the victim is standing right there) thats honestly really foolish. I believe there is a jail term for this.

dont know what hiring a good lawyer can do for you - apart from emptying your pockets even more. the evidence is already there. no way out. When you do go to court - ask your husband to accept his mistake and apologize saying he didnt mean it. I've heard some cases that they do become lenient to anyone who accpets their mistake. you'll have to accept whatever fines they levy though. better than jail term. Try speaking to the party whose car got hit, if she can speak in your favour.
michaeldubai
Dubai forums Addict

Jun 30, 2009
Thanks for all your comments. No one is debating that it was a stupid thing to do, even himself, but this is the situation now -so we can only cope with it as best we can.

Thanks again.
rescuecat
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Jun 30, 2009
I'm no expert. But I'd say it's most probably gonna be a fine.
ahzao
Dubai Forum Visitor

Jun 30, 2009
Hi everyone, just a question. Do you think if his new residency visa came through before the case, and he was able to renew his license and register the car they would look more kindly on his case?

Do you think he would be able to do that with the pending ourt case?
rescuecat
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Jun 30, 2009
Why did his licence expire without a residency visa? This is not right, even if your visa is cancelled your drivers licence can still be valid or you get a temporary one. It only expires once the end date on it has been reached.

Also he could have gone and got an international drivers licence.

The car not being registered however, is a problem you will efo get a fine for that.

No, getting it all renewed now will not make a difference. You'll just have to take whatever judgement they give you.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Jul 01, 2009
Don't worry about it, its just going to be a fine and most probally will have to pay for the repairs for the other car. Until the other lady gives a tanazul ( NOC ) that she is satisfied with the repairs they will either hold on to the security passport, license or whatever they have with them.

A friend of mine got rear ended by the guy fled turned out into a long tedious process as the dude would never show up for any hearings. And after around six months of this he gave up any hope of getting anything for repairs and left it.

Plus I think if you check it says only Dhs 1000 fine for fleeing scene of accident.

All in all some trips to the traffic courts, police station or both a few 1000dhs lighter and should be alright. Cannot see any scenario where any jail time could be implied.
desertdudeshj
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Jul 01, 2009
Hi to all that have commented. THanks for your help. We found a photocopy of his license ( when he got an international licence - which is not actually valid in the country its issued - hence UAE) and his license does not expire until 2010. THerefore, expired license is off the list of offences we hope.

His court case is 22nd July and for anyone who is watching this thread I will post the outcome. At least it can be a reference point for any other people who have done stupid things too in the future.
rescuecat
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Jul 01, 2009
Hi all,

One thing I don't follow is, why do you need your residency for Vehicle registration renewal. You need your passport copy & residence visa only for first time registration, thereafter all you need to do is get a passing certificate, your old (expired) registration card and insurance. that along with the fee is enough to renew the registration.
suhailf
Dubai Forum Guest

Jul 03, 2009
michaeldubai wrote:first of all your husband should not have been driving without a proper visa in hand. Thats was common sense. But if you visa in process - change of sponsor - then not a problem.

You can drive on UAE driving license without residence visa.
bonk

Jul 03, 2009
suhailf wrote:One thing I don't follow is, why do you need your residency for Vehicle registration renewal.

Sometimes passport copy is asked for. Might depend on emirate, mood of tester, time of day, who knows.
bonk

Re: Is he going to go to jail? May 03, 2010
What happened to this case?, I have similar problem where I spoke to the other person and my license was at home and I went to get it but the other person went to police and I got a case on my name and my hearing is next week and I'm a student and I'm really scared. How will be the fine and is there jail time?

I had spoken to the other driver before leaving the scene to get my license! Also the other person is willing to cancel case as he knows I'm not quilty buy the case has gone to the court! So please tell me if the otherperson will be able to cancel the case in the court before the hearing day!!
carbonr
UAE, Dubai Forum starter

Re: Is he going to go to jail? May 13, 2010
I don't see how a jail sentence is likely in your case assuming it was a valid UAE licence. Maybe a fine for not having your licence with you.
bonk

Re: Is he going to go to jail? May 13, 2010
bonk wrote:I don't see how a jail sentence is likely in your case assuming it was a valid UAE licence. Maybe a fine for not having your licence with you.

Fine for not carrying your license is 600Dhs.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Knight
Dubai Knight

Re: Is He Going To Go To Jail? May 14, 2010
Heavy fine for a student. pfew.
RobbyG

Re: Is he going to go to jail? May 14, 2010
Friend got fined 100 dhs for not having his license in shj last year.
desertdudeshj

i didnt have the license with me lately when the cops stopped me but was able to convice the cop that I will bring my license to him within 2 hours :D

so depending on who the cop is and what their mood is like you can get away with it. Mind you, you wont get away with murder :D
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Only an Emirati can get away with murder.
capsicum
BANNED

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat