Cars

Topic locked
Cars May 02, 2010
Hi, I am moving to Sharjah in September to start work for my father-in-law and have been asked which car I would like. I have been looking at Ford Kuga but don't seem to ba able to find a dealer throughout the UAE is this car available or can anyone suggest something similar, also if it is availabe is it a safe car as I have a 2 year old daughter and knowing how harsh the roads cann be there I want her to be safe should I be in an accident

M412tyn
Dubai Forums Member

Re: Cars May 02, 2010
Sorry homes no Kuga's or Ka's here. For godsakes man your in oils own country. Dump the sissy SUV's and get a proper 4x4 8)

Land Cruiser, Nissan patrol anyone and if your really on the dosh a Range Rover or G55 8) 8) 8)
desertdudeshj
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: Cars May 02, 2010
Haha I wish it's being bought by the company so budget won't allow they were offering Nissan Quashqai but not sure I like them maybe once I get there and starting to earn money can stretch to that but just need something safe, reliable and most importantly has to have iPod link!!!!
M412tyn
Dubai Forums Member

Re: Cars Jun 02, 2010
I think the safety for Cadence is more important than the ipod link! I shall speak to father when he gets back in July to see what our budget is!
dani2107
Dubai Forum Visitor

Re: Cars Oct 20, 2010
Sorted cars out it will be a ford focus for me (hopefully with iPod link) and a ford fusion for my wife and I must admit they look awesome!! Very concept look about them
M412tyn
Dubai Forums Member

Re: Cars Oct 20, 2010
Not bad, took you just under six months to figure that one out. Maybe by end of next year you might have actually bought it.
desertdudeshj

Re: Cars Oct 23, 2010
6months ain't too bad not got there yet fly in a week on wed so still won't get it till Medicaid and licence sorted so about a month till I actually get to drive it though not lookin forward to the roads out there thou they look suicidal!
M412tyn
Dubai Forums Member

So not far off in my intial assement that by sometime next year you might actually get one ;)
desertdudeshj

Ok I see where your coming from haha. Although I will say that sorting visa's is not easy for the whole family when your waiting to find out your job title, for some reason they need every detail of your situation before you can even start applications. As it stands I am coming on my own for 6 weeks then I'm back in the uk to pick up my family. But I should get my car before then but my wifes won't be till the new year!!
M412tyn
Dubai Forums Member

Re: Cars Nov 20, 2010
Yes he should have his new car next week, think it's actually sat on the forecourt waiting at the mo whilst all the paperwork for his visa is finalised, as for me I won't have my fusion until January, prob even february as don't move out there till 2nd week in January, can't wait to get my hands on it thou. For once I get the better car than him!
dani2107
Dubai Forum Visitor

Re: Cars Nov 24, 2010
unfortunately your not getting it haha your getting roberts quasqai now as he isnt going to be coming back anytime soon
M412tyn
Dubai Forums Member

Re: Cars Nov 27, 2010
I have owned a Prado and a Lexus since I got here - I didn't want to for a european car cos its costs to much to service and I am tight (being honest). But due to continual nagging by wife I am now considering upgrading to a Bentley Continenal --- I know a big climb up -- I am tight not poor. Any thoughts from car pro's on whether this car is worth the money and any experiences on breakdown/performance in Dubai?
JoeTGF
Dubai forums Addict

Plain and simple, everything is expensive expensive expensive. From the insurance to the services. But hey if you can afford it then go for it. You only live once.

Maybe look around the local Autotrader and Aweer used car complex. There are many of these slightly used things avaliable. Just don't buy a import and get the service history records from the dealer and inspected by them before you do buy. Also check if the car is still under warranty and only get one that is.
desertdudeshj

Thanks DDS. Yeah I have worked hard and long all my life and have neverreally spent any money - so after continual nagging from my wife my defences have wained and I have thought to myself exactly what you have said - "you only live once". Just bugs me that I won't use it that much and the maintenance will probably set me back more than both the other cars I have put together. Sorry I am caught up in - I want it and I should get it but I don't need it thing.

Anyway seen one for 360k white convert red leather inside - 3 years old - 32k on the clock. Looks nice - lets see if I follow through.
JoeTGF
Dubai forums Addict

Thats true, but if you can afford to loose lets say something to the tune of 420-50k ish over the next 3 years and not miss it much, then go for it. ( Insurance, maintaince etc etc )

But then on the other more sensible side, these are not times one should be indulging in such luxuries ????

I know conflict everywhere !
desertdudeshj

Please tell me that was a typo and should read 20-50k - if not than I think you have made my mind up.
I think you would make a good therapist - thanks for listening to my moaning - I may need you again before I hand over the money for the car.
JoeTGF
Dubai forums Addict

Dealer maintanice is expensive for any car here, bring a bently into the mix and your talking top dollar. Not to mention comprehensive insurance every year. I think its safe to say it would be around atleast 30-35k per year( got a quick online axa quote of 35k) into three years. Thats 90k just in insurance for 3 years.

Friend has a Merc Barabus and pays around 22k just to have the brakes done, so expect similar if not more on services on an exotic. So infact the 450k ( including car price ) was a very conservative estimate for 3 years.

Choice is yours
desertdudeshj

Did I tell you how much I love my prado. :D
JoeTGF
Dubai forums Addict

Well if it is a VX then it deserves to be loved, but if its a GL. Time to think about a VX :D
desertdudeshj

Joe, I think me and your wife would get on. I, too, am a lover of nice cars, especially when driven by a nice young man. I love those Bentleys, David Beckham has one, amongst all his other motors. I'm a BM fan myself.
Bethsmum

Re: Cars Nov 28, 2010
Yeah I think you would BM. Even if I buy this car I am still the one driving it - I hope she doesn't replace me along with the Prado for a nicer looking model - needless to say I am no Beckam.

The thing is I love my wife and also envy her. I wish I could go through life spending 125% of my income and enjoying life to its fullest and never have to worry about the future our childrens education, etc, etc. In fairness I think we make a good couple - I am beyond boring and sensible and she lives for today. Together we make it through to tomorrow.

Will sill need to contemplate the bentley further.
JoeTGF
Dubai forums Addict

Joe, she sounds like the perfect woman. I don't worry about tomorrow either, we could all be dead. I never regret yesterday either.
Bethsmum

Excellent. What do you drive BM? let me guess - you don't strike me as the 4x4 type - I am seeing small sport mercedes
JoeTGF
Dubai forums Addict

I think when BM means BM she means BMW
desertdudeshj

DDS you are not as daft as you look. Yes, BM drives a BM, and it is an X3. I am in the market to upgrade and have recently test driven an X6. Amazin, but at £65,000 I will have to save up a bit more. My Emirati friend has just got a new one, you don't shut the doors, just touch them, they must be on hydrolics or something, I'm not technical. I just know that when he put his foot down, he head bounced of the head rest.
Bethsmum

I swear a BMW was my second guess. £65k is more than the 3 year old bentley.
JoeTGF
Dubai forums Addict

I looked at a Range Rover, second hand at £30,000 but I like new really, I like to choose the interior and I never have the model number on the back, it's one of those things I don't like. Weird eh?
Bethsmum

JoeTGF wrote:I have owned a Prado and a Lexus since I got here - I didn't want to for a european car cos its costs to much to service and I am tight (being honest). But due to continual nagging by wife I am now considering upgrading to a Bentley Continenal --- I know a big climb up -- I am tight not poor. Any thoughts from car pro's on whether this car is worth the money and any experiences on breakdown/performance in Dubai?

Worth the money? If you have to ask the question, then the answer is no. Why do people buy Bentleys? Either they are so rich that the don't care about the price tag or they love Bentleys so much that they are prepared to accept the price tag.

You are enamoured by the Bently, but in 12 months time the novelty will have worn off and you will have a rapidly depreciating car that is rediculously expensive to maintain which will just be a burden to you. In times like these you need to stop listening to your wife because she is way overcompensating for your frugality.
blueshift
Dubai forums Addict

I think you hit the nail on the head here Blueshift. I am just not that sort of person because I care about what I spend. I would say that people with lots of money can buy them and people with far less money can also buy them but their common ingredient should be that they don't care about the money and just want the car. Thats not me but as you can see from the thread its the wife pushing me to get it and she is definitely the type that doesn't care and lives for the here and now - good thing not bad.
JoeTGF
Dubai forums Addict

Bethsmum wrote:I looked at a Range Rover, second hand at £30,000 but I like new really, I like to choose the interior and I never have the model number on the back, it's one of those things I don't like. Weird eh?

Guess I'm weird. :lol:
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

posting in Dubai AutoForum Rules

Return to Dubai Auto