How Much Back Pain Is Normal After Pregnancy?

Topic locked
How much back pain is normal after pregnancy? Oct 16, 2009
How much back pain is normal after pregnancy before getting concerned?
My son is 4 months old, and I still have horrible back pain at times. Most of the time it's a dull ache across my whole lower back, but at other times, it locks up completely and I can barely move.

Is this normal, and if so, when can I expect it to go away?

I did have an epidural, about 5 monutes before they decided to do a c-section, so it was really pointless. The pain is not in the same spot that they put the needle in.

ahmed45
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Oct 27, 2009
If you still have the pain it maybe you have pulled a nerve... Usually happens when you are carrying something heavy and try to pick up something in the last trimester... :(

Try a chiropractor also as an alternative.
Galavantor
Dubai Forum Visitor

Back pain after pregnancy Nov 02, 2009
As I am sure you know too well, pregnancy puts alot of strain on your lower back and can leave you with muslce spasm and even spinal misalignment - for which you could see a chiropractor. You described your pain as 'dull & aching' which usually is not the description given by people experiencing nerve pain. Nerve pain "fires" or sends shooting, electrical pain intermittently into the body. It is also common for women who have had epidurals to experience the type of pain you are describing and yes, often the pain is not felt in the same spot where the epi was injected. The needle entering the body can cause a small contraction in the muscle tissue - a 'trigger point' and trigger points are known for sending pain to other parts of the body. The longer they are left, usually the longer it takes to relieve the pain.

The locking up that you mention is more than likely related to the trigger points in the muscle also and it takes one small thing (sleeping or bending wrong) to create this reaction. It's actually your body's way of protecting itself. Once you release the trigger points, you should get relief.
Dale099
Dubai Forum Guest

posting in Health and Medicine in DubaiForum Rules

Return to Health and Medicine in Dubai