Topic locked
cool side of town... Feb 07, 2006
where are the cool places to live?

just list them!

thanks!

richmc
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Feb 07, 2006
Anywhere from Emirates Towers on towards Abu Dhabi until Ibn Battuta are the places to be in now.

Thats where the new Dubai is being raised.
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

Feb 07, 2006
Marina is nice, but the amount of new apartments coming up is rediculous (and its only going to get worse). The amount of construction people lingering around etc is not a sight for sore eyes - even worse than the amount of dust around the place.

Give it another year or so and if they loosen up the alcohol licenses it's going to be nice... thats if the infrastructure can support all the added traffic.
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

Feb 07, 2006
Agree with Liban. From the Emirates Towers all the way back to Jebel Ali either side of Sheikh Zayed Road. Keep in mind where your job is though. Wouldn't be cool driving from the Gardens to Deira each morning.
barastisundowner
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Feb 08, 2006
Urgh, Dubai is sooooo spread out now it's a nightmare as you constantly have to arrange to go to 'a place in the middle'. I live in Mirdiff, but know loads of people who live the other end of town and to get them to come onto Shk Zayed road is virtually impossible these days.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Feb 08, 2006
Jumeirah, Umm Sequiem around Al Wasl and Jumeirah Beach Roads are good places to live as far as convenience goesie access to SZ Road, the beach and a variety of supermarkets and hotels BUT it depends where you work due to the traffic. (Ramadan last year was particularly bad for traffic despite people saying it would be quiet on the roads.) You can find great houses around these areas and if you share you can cut the cost significantly but have a fantastic lifestyle-more in line with what you'd be used to from home.
GAB
Dubai Forums Veteran

Feb 08, 2006
GAB wrote:Jumeirah, Umm Sequiem around Al Wasl and Jumeirah Beach Roads are good places to live as far as convenience goesie access to SZ Road, the beach and a variety of supermarkets and hotels BUT it depends where you work due to the traffic. (Ramadan last year was particularly bad for traffic despite people saying it would be quiet on the roads.) You can find great houses around these areas and if you share you can cut the cost significantly but have a fantastic lifestyle-more in line with what you'd be used to from home.

Yeah but those areas are too expensive for nothing...

Actually my last sentence kinda explains the rent situation in Dubai as a whole, Abu Dhabi side of SZR :)
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

Feb 08, 2006
GAB wrote:(Ramadan last year was particularly bad for traffic despite people saying it would be quiet on the roads.)

Funny, I thought traffic was bloody great during Ramadan. I could get from Marina to Satwa in 15-20 mins at 6pm everyday to play bball... Takes me near an hour outside of Ramadan timing.
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

Feb 08, 2006
Sorry-old have kids so I believe every school finished at the same time including govt depts so it was a friggin nightmare! :shock:
Liban Jumeirah and Umm Sequeim have three bedroom villas around the 100k mark with gardens. What is expensive about that?
GAB
Dubai Forums Veteran

Feb 09, 2006
Yeah, in that case I'd agree with your point that it would be worse cause the 4-7pm traffic just gets moved up to 1-4pm - enjoy! ;)
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

Feb 09, 2006
GAB wrote:Sorry-old have kids so I believe every school finished at the same time including govt depts so it was a friggin nightmare! :shock:
Liban Jumeirah and Umm Sequeim have three bedroom villas around the 100k mark with gardens. What is expensive about that?

For you and me it may not be too bad..... But not everybody is blessed with a good salary. 90% of all expats are making a shitty salary.
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

Feb 11, 2006
XRW-147- this is the whole point I guess in Dubai is that when you look for a place you have to actually take into account what time you will be travelling. :)
Liban-Yeah, I realise that. But if you have a relatively decent allowance you can share and pay around DH35 000 per annum for rent (or approx DH3 000 per month) isn't bad. Bed space in these areas I think is around the Dh1200 mark per month. It is a matter of compromising on lifestyle-for us it isn't as good as home but it's a close approximation. I also figure that if you can find places this price in Jumeirah and Umm Sequiem, there must be other areas cheaper. :)
GAB
Dubai Forums Veteran

Feb 14, 2006
what are the best areas closest to the nice beaches?
richmc
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Feb 14, 2006
Jumeirah Beach Road is as close as you can get I guess. Area wise, that'd be Jumeirah 1, 2, 3 and Umm Sequiem, I guess.
GAB
Dubai Forums Veteran

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum